Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 09:17 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I hope that's the case, but I don't see it happening. I really think they'd prefer to make it unfair to everyone while providing a lower quality education, versus unfair to only some while providing a higher quality education.

Alternating days won't work for low income people. Nothing will work for low income people except a normal full-time school schedule.
A lot of this is going to be state driven, and not up to WCPSS to further their agenda. And sorry to say rich people have way more political pull than poor, and this BOE is already ripe for an upset. So if you think they are going to go against CDC recommendations just to further their diversity agenda, well I would disagree with that. I can assure you the high schools in western Wake are not going to be welcoming 2500+ students each day to their campus.

None of what's happening now is fair to low income people. It's not going to get better any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 09:20 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
A lot of this is going to be state driven, and not up to WCPSS to further their agenda. And sorry to say rich people have way more political pull than poor, and this BOE is already ripe for an upset. So if you think they are going to go against CDC recommendations just to further their diversity agenda, well I would disagree with that. I can assure you the high schools in western Wake are not going to be welcoming 2500+ students each day to their campus.
I was forgetting that most of this is determined by the state. In that case the state needs to get on the ball, because as far as I know the state has mentioned nothing about year-round.

I thought I read that Wake is the only county in the state that has year-round schools, is that true?

And I don't think that they would send all kids back full time. I do think that they would keep all kids at home full-time in order to make it unfair for everyone, and not just some. And that's going to suck from an education standpoint.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:25 AM

Next couple years are gonna suck. And while it's nice that everyone feels bad for class of 2020 (and they should) class of 2021 is going to have it far worse. There may be no sports, homecoming, dances, senior parade, kickoff breakfast, PLUS all the stuff 2020 is missing. My kid is class of 2022 - things MIGHT get back to some semblance of normalcy by then.

College will be interesting too. Tons of kids trying to defer since they don't know what's gonna happen in the fall and don't want to start their college career remote. A lot of people are going to be thinking why pay all that money for a 4 year university when you can't take advantage of any of what it offers on campus, when I can pay a fraction of that and go to community college till this all shakes out?

i think we are the only YR district. There are other states that have it but not many. If we send kids back in July and people start getting sick then that's it for traditional school - not just here but everywhere. They aren't gonna take that chance.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:27 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

College will be interesting too. Tons of kids trying to defer since they don't know what's gonna happen in the fall and don't want to start their college career remote. A lot of people are going to be thinking why pay all that money for a 4 year university when you can't take advantage of any of what it offers on campus, when I can pay a fraction of that and go to community college till this all shakes out?
The coming depression could be the end of the college tuition bubble. Chalk that up as one good thing that could come out of this.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:28 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
I was forgetting that most of this is determined by the state. In that case the state needs to get on the ball, because as far as I know the state has mentioned nothing about year-round.

I thought I read that Wake is the only county in the state that has year-round schools, is that true?

And I don't think that they would send all kids back full time. I do think that they would keep all kids at home full-time in order to make it unfair for everyone, and not just some. And that's going to suck from an education standpoint.
No, there are other systems that have year-round schools.

Wonder if they will entertain split sessions to lessen the amount of students in the classrooms and hallways.

6 am to 12pm and 1pm to 7pm. Staggered grade levels, or split grade levels in those time periods to lessen the impact on each section of the school building.

Back in the 50's school systems did that to lessen the overcrowding before commissioners and school boards realized they could tax the pants off the public in the name of sending kids to school and get new buildings.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The coming depression could be the end of the college tuition bubble. Chalk that up as one good thing that could come out of this.
Poll last month - 27% of college students said they couldn't afford to go back to school. That's a lot.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:43 AM

750 posts, read 853,084 times
Rather than having 2 sessions of school per day they would rather have kids attending 2/3 days a week for a normal school day so that the school can be cleaned in between

Old 05-17-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Rather than having 2 sessions of school per day they would rather have kids attending 2/3 days a week for a normal school day so that the school can be cleaned in between
There is no way to social distance in a school of 1000+ kids (most western Wake elementaries), 1500+ (middle) or 2500+ (high school) especially in trailers and mods. The virus is way more transmissible person to person than surface to person. I think alternating days are more likely ie you're assigned to "A" days and I'm assigned to "B" days.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:50 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2019/...PDF/S704v5.pdf

Here is the bill that changed the start of school to August 17. Go to page 12 of the document.

And an article about it if you don't feel like reading through the bill.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/co...242484941.html

Old 05-17-2020, 11:15 AM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
I can see A/B days that reduce the student population by 50% on any given day. Of course that presents childcare issues, but the pandemic presents childcare issues.

This is an ever-changing situation, and we’ll have better data in July (and possible an effective treatment) than we do now. Kids are going back to school now in a few countries. How they fare may inform our choices https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01354-0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary