Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 03:08 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
It’s all relative. There will never be a “6 ft apart” scenario, and it’s probably ineffective in a classroom anyway. Virus can spread across the room with coughs and sneezes.

If they keep the number of kids on any given day to 50%, and keep kids in their classrooms more (less movement), it could reduce exposures.

I’m thinking a combination of A/B day or weeks, plus a shortened day. Send them to class with breakfast. Send them home with lunch. Teachers can devote the extra hours to supporting the kids on “off” days or weeks online. Likely there will be families who would choose 100% online, and those kids could access teacher support in in hour after kids go home.

Things like chorus or sports will just not be safe in a room. They’ll have to move it outside, get innovative.
This. Try and keep elementary school kids off each other when they have been kept apart for months and I see plenty of teens that are not distancing now. I am expecting a second wave (I hope I am wrong) and if it does not occur with phased reopening, school being in session will do it.

I do expect an online component and if we are full time online, I hope they step up the curriculum because this is a light load they are putting out now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 03:12 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
This. Try and keep elementary school kids off each other when they have been kept apart for months and I see plenty of teens that are not distancing now. I am expecting a second wave (I hope I am wrong) and if it does not occur with phased reopening, school being in session will do it.

I do expect an online component and if we are full time online, I hope they step up the curriculum because this is a light load they are putting out now.

To steal a line from Thomas Andrews....it is a mathematical certainty.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
yeah the whole remote learning thing is not good for little kids for many reasons. High schoolers are getting ready for college and some of them will probably do some or all of their higher education online. They are also used to doing just about everything online, either through google docs or a website the teacher wants them to use like turnitin. All that technology isn't great for little kids. And as noted a big part of the day for small children is socialization and specials. Some kids need the break that a special provides. And the problem right now is there is no good solution to this problem and no way to know what if anything is going to happen with COVID in the fall and winter. They could come up with a plan and have it all shot to hell in two months. And regardless of what they plan there will be a way to poke holes in it, there's no perfect solution.
Yup, it's going to suck.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:59 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
yeah I can guarantee there's going to be a lot of hugging when my teenager sees the friends she has not seen in 8 weeks (longer in some cases, some kids stayed out of school before March 13).

Old 05-18-2020, 09:28 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I thought the previous poster was suggesting everyone in school for a week, then everyone home for a week. I don't see the point of that.

It's also easy to say "oh we'll just have half the kids at home remotely every other day or every other week". The kids can't just go to school 50% of the year, they need to also be learning while they're at home. It's a lot to ask for teachers getting paid 50k a year to support in classroom teaching as well as online/remote teaching.
I was suggesting half the students one week and the other half the following week. A/B days would be too hard I think.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I was suggesting half the students one week and the other half the following week. A/B days would be too hard I think.
I think that could work for high schoolers. Probably not for little kids.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:33 PM

236 posts, read 556,285 times
My son starts kindergarten this year and we received his welcome letter in the mail, track assignment, and his online orientation was posted this morning on the schools website. The letter also included the year round calendar, which states he starts July 8th. My husband and I both work full time, 7 days a week. We are not low income (which should not matter at all in this situation) as I work in a clinical lab and my husband is in IT, but travels a lot. It will be a nightmare for us if they try to incorporate a lot of remote learning. We rely heavily on after school care and also track out camps. There are a lot of working families that NEED to go back to work and with school closed, partially closed, or half days for extended periods of time, I don't know how it will happen. My son has friends who's parents are both physicians. They are essential workers that can't just stay home and home school. From other forums, I'm also hearing parents concerns regarding kids with special needs, learning disabilities, and those with IEP's and so forth. My son looking at a computer screen trying to learn will be hard as he most likely will not be engaged and distracted. He will not be able to develop any type of relationship with his teacher, especially if he never meets her. I just can't see him having his whole kindergarten experience online then moving on to first grade.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
My son starts kindergarten this year and we received his welcome letter in the mail, track assignment, and his online orientation was posted this morning on the schools website. The letter also included the year round calendar, which states he starts July 8th. My husband and I both work full time, 7 days a week. We are not low income (which should not matter at all in this situation) as I work in a clinical lab and my husband is in IT, but travels a lot. It will be a nightmare for us if they try to incorporate a lot of remote learning. We rely heavily on after school care and also track out camps. There are a lot of working families that NEED to go back to work and with school closed, partially closed, or half days for extended periods of time, I don't know how it will happen. My son has friends who's parents are both physicians. They are essential workers that can't just stay home and home school. From other forums, I'm also hearing parents concerns regarding kids with special needs, learning disabilities, and those with IEP's and so forth. My son looking at a computer screen trying to learn will be hard as he most likely will not be engaged and distracted. He will not be able to develop any type of relationship with his teacher, especially if he never meets her. I just can't see him having his whole kindergarten experience online then moving on to first grade.
Yup. It's a sh*t show brewing.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
Yes this is hard for everyone. I have elementary school kids and my younger is not learning anything remotely. It is not a good format for youger students and i get it is all we have. Either myself or my spouse need to take time off from work to make sure my child is getting their work done and understanding the assignments. This is with the very light cirriculum we have. Imagine if they get up to speed in the fall and try to cover all they are supposed to.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:35 PM

750 posts, read 854,125 times
We’ve heard from our kids pvt school that we are either going back to campus or half in half virtual learning or totally virtual learning. So in other words we don’t know anything. I can see that the younger the child the worse the outcome is for virtual learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary