Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2020, 03:35 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
We have tried to get it resolved many times, and nothing seems to work. I don't feel entitled, necessarily but my kids need to do school and their synchronous learning is at the same time. Having a Mifi device will solve the problem. It is not being taken away from someone else who needs it. They are ordering enough for all who need them.
You likely have a WiFi issue, and Spectrum doesn't care about anything past their line of service. So if Spectrum says the service to your house is fine, you'd need to call someone out who has the expertise to fix the WiFi issue. You could also plug the computers/laptops directly into the router and avoid the WiFi altogether if you didn't want to pay to have someone fix it.

MiFi's and Chromebooks are not cheap. This is all money that will eventually come from the tax payers, even those who don't have children in the schools. It seems like the right thing to not get them just because you can, but because you don't have any other choice.

I understand I'm on a soapbox now and I apologize, but I really wonder sometimes if people think that money just falls off trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 03:47 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You likely have a WiFi issue, and Spectrum doesn't care about anything past their line of service. So if Spectrum says the service to your house is fine, you'd need to call someone out who has the expertise to fix the WiFi issue. You could also plug the computers/laptops directly into the router and avoid the WiFi altogether if you didn't want to pay to have someone fix it.

MiFi's and Chromebooks are not cheap. This is all money that will eventually come from the tax payers, even those who don't have children in the schools. It seems like the right thing to not get them just because you can, but because you don't have any other choice.

I understand I'm on a soapbox now and I apologize, but I really wonder sometimes if people think that money just falls off trees.
Well the school is making every student get the Chromebooks anyway. And part of the reason is because all of the "have" kids were bring macbooks to school and other kids had nothing. So they wanted everyone on a level playing field (this was pre-covid).

Our router is in a weird out of the way spot in our house, and we moved it a bit to get better connection but it's much more involved to move it somewhere else. We just lived with it because none of us were doing anything important. I didn't expect two kids and a husband working and doing school from home. Thankfully, my eldest will be doing college from her dorm. I will ask my husband again if we can try something else. Trust me, it is very frustrating! I just did a speedtest and got 8 download speed - standing next to the router!

Old 08-12-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Well the school is making every student get the Chromebooks anyway. And part of the reason is because all of the "have" kids were bring macbooks to school and other kids had nothing. So they want everyone on a level playing field.

Our router is in a weird out of the way spot in our house, and we moved it a bit to get better connection but it's much more involved to move it somewhere else. We just lived with it because none of us were doing anything important. I didn't expect two kids and a husband working and doing school from home. Thankfully, my eldest will be doing college from her dorm. I will ask my husband again if we can try something else.
You probably don't need to move the router, you likely just need a better router (not the one provided by Spectrum), or a mesh WiFi system if you have a really big house. You should call a computer place and have someone come out - it'll definitely be worth it in the long run.

Keep in mind the MiFi works over the 3g/4g like cell phones do, so that may not be reliable either.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
You probably don't need to move the router, you likely just need a better router (not the one provided by Spectrum), or a mesh WiFi system if you have a really big house. You should call a computer place and have someone come out - it'll definitely be worth it in the long run.

Keep in mind the MiFi works over the 3g/4g like cell phones do, so that may not be reliable either.
We don't have a really big house (2700 square feet). The router was in a closet by the garage where the previous owner had it wired. My husband moved it out and up high which helped some, I think. But I cannot get my laptop to get speed over 20. (I bought it in November so not old. it's a Dell). My daughter can get high speed on her Macbook, though. She just ran a speedtest and got 104, so much better than mine. But if we are all streaming, it's extremely slow and spinning and one or two of us have to get off. Not sure which router we have or what a mesh wifi system is.

Yes MiFi can be unreliable sometimes. We check them out of the Orange County library when we travel. But having two options when you need to get online helps a lot. I think my husband's work computer is hard-wired, so he's not using wifi. He's actually in the office this week but when he gets home I will ask him again about our options. This has been an ongoing issue.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:16 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
We shouldn't but we do! My husband is very handy and we had a guy from Spectrum come out and we moved the router, but we cannot get it faster on some of our laptops when one person is playing a video game like fortnite and another person is watching a movie and a third is on city-data and watching a clip here and there.

My daughter took two summer classes and would scream down when she was taking tests for us to please turn off any videos. It's very frustrating. If I do a speed test on my laptop, I get under 20!
Under 20!

I pay for 300Mbps service and in my office (other side of the first floor from the Mesh router) I get 150 on my phone.

I would confirm what speed you are paying for, and assuming it’s greater than 50Mbps look into a Mesh system for better coverage in your home.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:21 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
We shouldn't but we do! My husband is very handy and we had a guy from Spectrum come out and we moved the router, but we cannot get it faster on some of our laptops when one person is playing a video game like fortnite and another person is watching a movie and a third is on city-data and watching a clip here and there.

My daughter took two summer classes and would scream down when she was taking tests for us to please turn off any videos. It's very frustrating. If I do a speed test on my laptop, I get under 20!
We used to have issues wiht wifi in the house then swiched to a eero whole house router with two boosters. It has made a world of difference. Not sure if that would solve your issues but it was a big difference for us.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:24 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Nobody is pleased about it, but you do it for the greater good of the people in the community. Leave the chromebooks for those that absolutely need them, and don't drive up extreme excess cost that will ultimately come down on the tax base as a whole.

It's about doing what's right, not taking advantage of something just because you can and your fellow citizens will cover the cost.

Man, I feel like I'm in a roofing thread.
This will be a hornets nest but the PTA paid for most of the Chromebooks at our school. That is how it is in many WCPSS schools.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:24 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
We used to have issues wiht wifi in the house then swiched to a eero whole house router with two boosters. It has made a world of difference. Not sure if that would solve your issues but it was a big difference for us.
We have the eero also. It’s great.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
This will be a hornets nest but the PTA paid for most of the Chromebooks at our school. That is how it is in many WCPSS schools.
Yep - and I bet some (or all) got redistributed?

Old 08-12-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Under 20!

I pay for 300Mbps service and in my office (other side of the first floor from the Mesh router) I get 150 on my phone.

I would confirm what speed you are paying for, and assuming it’s greater than 50Mbps look into a Mesh system for better coverage in your home.
Yes! Luckily C-D doesn't require much! We definitely pay for at least 100 Mbps. I will have my husband look into the Mesh system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary