Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 06:06 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,493,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Not that I "care" what you do as a person (although I do judge non mask wearers in the same sarcastic manner Richard Dreyfus judges the guys overloading the boat in Jaws; saying its "care" isn't the right term). Americans certainly have a right to be jackasses last time I checked. but, your example at a 50K ft view:

1. You smoking meth doesn't impact my health
2. You ripping butts doesn't impact my health
3. You drinking booze doesn't impact my health
4. You not wearing a seatbelt doesn't impact my health
5. You riding a motorcycle doesn't impact my health

6. You knowingly (or not knowingly) having COVID could impact my health...isn't this the same gal who went to a ReOpen NC march with COVID?

I thought you wear a mask? So me not wearing one shouldn't impact your health. Plus, you don't have to stand next to me.

I thought the limited hours for the seniors at grocery stores was a great idea. My parents loved it. Until they noticed all the grandkids coming with the grandparents. Defeated the purpose. Lol.

350,000 people are injured from drunk driving yearly, and statistics show its generally the party that got hit. That's a pretty big impact on one's health I'd say as they crash into you. So yeah, someone drinking booze could have an impact on your health.

The only quote from Jaws I remember was "you're gonna need a bigger boat". I do remember that scene with the worms crawling out of the dead body. I had nightmares about it as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 06:14 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,065,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I thought you wear a mask? So me not wearing one shouldn't impact your health. Plus, you don't have to stand next to me.

I thought the limited hours for the seniors at grocery stores was a great idea. My parents loved it. Until they noticed all the grandkids coming with the grandparents. Defeated the purpose. Lol.

350,000 people are injured from drunk driving yearly, and statistics show its generally the party that got hit. That's a pretty big impact on one's health I'd say as they crash into you. So yeah, someone drinking booze could have an impact on your health.
I do wear a mask - in a "My mask protects you, your mask protect me" kinda thing. Anywhere I go inside. Just doing my little part to get us back to normal I suppose.

You're right I don't have to stand next to you, and believe me, "I" won't. I am blasting music in my headphones when I am out in public. If I am at the grocery, or Target, or Sam's etc I am there for a purpose. In and out. Time is money. I don't need to talk to some person I will quite literally never see again more than likely. And my Yankee mouth will let you know if you get into my personal space.

So you went from "drink alcohol" to driving drunk....as if they are the same thing? People can drink their whole adult lives and never drive drunk. Why the goal post move?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9AuBsvkZRw

Old 06-15-2020, 06:17 PM

628 posts, read 401,528 times
Quote:
You're unaware that the benefit of wearing a mask is to prevent the wearer from potentially spreading the virus? And that wearing a non N-95 mask doesn't do much to prevent contracting the virus? Really? smh

Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 06-15-2020 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-15-2020, 06:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,493,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I do wear a mask - in a "My mask protects you, your mask protect me" kinda thing. Anywhere I go inside. Just doing my little part to get us back to normal I suppose.

You're right I don't have to stand next to you, and believe me, "I" won't. I am blasting music in my headphones when I am out in public. If I am at the grocery, or Target, or Sam's etc I am there for a purpose. In and out. Time is money. I don't need to talk to some person I will quite literally never see again more than likely. And my Yankee mouth will let you know if you get into my personal space.

So you went from "drink alcohol" to driving drunk....as if they are the same thing? People can drink their whole adult lives and never drive drunk. Why the goal post move?
Maybe you need a better mask? I mean, if I was legit concerned, I'd be wearing a better mask. I have zero faith in the general public to keep me safe.

Just me though.

Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. Worry about yourself .

Old 06-15-2020, 06:30 PM

4,586 posts, read 3,787,921 times
Quote:
She really got under your skin, didn't she?

Judging by how this year is going, I don't expect the human race to survive 2020. So there's that.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em?

It’s amazing that you still don’t know that wearing mask prevents you from spreading the virus. You’re an example of what is making America look ridiculous in today’s world.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:34 PM

628 posts, read 401,528 times
Quote:
Maybe you need a better mask? I mean, if I was legit concerned, I'd be wearing a better mask. I have zero faith in the general public to keep me safe.

Just me though.

Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. Worry about yourself .
I have zero faith in you doing the right thing.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:34 PM

333 posts, read 287,909 times
Yes, it's absolutely true that the main reasons for wearing a mask have to do with protecting others, and with driving down the amount of virus in the air and on surfaces, thereby reducing the overall number of cases. But there's also lot of all-or-nothing thinking in the statement that wearing a mask doesn't protect the wearer. Even if my mask protects me 30-40 % , which a cloth mask with inserted filter may do, that is better than nothing, isn't it?

Wear a mask for the public good, and your own.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Just me though.
Huh? A better mask? My mask is two layers of fabric sown together with a MERV 13 air filter in the pocket between the two layers and a nose clip at the top of it. For the times I leave my house, and for what I am doing, it probably is sufficient in what I need from it.

The point about the masks has nothing to really do with my specific mask's efficacy. The point is, it is a really simple, inexpensive, nothing more than maybe an annoyance(?) thing I can do to help slow the spread. Its more the mentality of some people that I can't really grasp.

For instance, if you were a "we gotta get open and back to normal ASAP come hell or high water" type....wouldn't you be the prime candidate for a mask? (royal you in this context, not you you).

I've shared this image before on here a couple of times, as has another poster. As it shows, even a lot of people wearing less effective masks can help drive the R0 below 1. Isn't that the goal? Isn't that what we all want?

Old 06-15-2020, 06:40 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,296,778 times
A good portion of people, if not the majority, are actually increasing their own risk by wearing a mask because they're constantly adjusting it and pulling it up from under their nose because it doesn't fit right. It's amazing how many people I see doing this all day. Anytime they talk, the mask falls below their nose and their grab it and pull it up. Many don't even bother lifting the thing back up, which completely defeats the purpose of the mask in the first place.

Also I can guarantee you that most people are not washing their cloth masks, or throwing away their single-use masks. It's all fine since it only increases their risk and not others, but it's still pretty funny.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Yes, it's absolutely true that the main reasons for wearing a mask have to do with protecting others, and with driving down the amount of virus in the air and on surfaces, thereby reducing the overall number of cases. But there's also lot of all-or-nothing thinking in the statement that wearing a mask doesn't protect the wearer. Even if my mask protects me 30-40 % , which a cloth mask with inserted filter may do, that is better than nothing, isn't it?

Wear a mask for the public good, and your own.

I agree with everything you are saying, but you're going to lose people on the better than nothing point. I've been making that same point since this thing started. That something greater than zero, but less than 100, is still greater than zero.

Ain't good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary