Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 08:20 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times

Advertisements

The problem is actually people who want to politicize the mask issue. I wear a mask when I go out and have never and will never see the government as my savior. I do it so people who make very little money and have to work through this can have a little peace of mind while they are working.

I suggest anyone watching Dr. Barke's video do a little more delving into his thoughts on COVID. Might be surprised what you find.

Also he's a concierge medicine doctor. Must be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 08:55 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The problem is actually people who want to politicize the mask issue. I wear a mask when I go out and have never and will never see the government as my savior. I do it so people who make very little money and have to work through this can have a little peace of mind while they are working.
Exactly, and agree on all three points. Rampant misguided arrogance, self-righteousness, and presumption.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:57 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Also he's a concierge medicine doctor. Must be nice.
Must know what he's doing. Might try to find one for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Exactly, and agree on all three points. Rampant misguided arrogance, self-righteousness, and presumption.

I assume you're talking about the mask wearers? Most I know personally when asked why they wear a mask have responded either because that's what is suggested on the news or Fakebook or they don't want to get sick. Wearing a mask isn't going to prevent you from getting sick.

To put it simply mask wearing has become a fad. If you're not part of a fad you're an outcast.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:04 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Most of the "preventative measures" are nothing more than a feel-good measure. Like posted earlier, the lack of critical thinkers is very disheartening. Problem is those walking around with a mask actually think they're protecting their self by wearing it also think they're one of the critical thinkers. Such a shame.
You are entitled to your opinions, as monochromatic as they appear. I however can agree with none of these broad-brush and opinionated condemnations.

And that, by definition, is exactly what a forum is. We don't all have to agree.

To your question - nope, the opposite.

If you don't value their opinions then maybe you should be more choosy about your mask-wearer acquaintances.

A mask > no mask.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:26 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,728,520 times
I stopped in Gastonia this evening at a Longhorn Steakhouse.
All the staff were wearing masks. There was plenty of distance
between tables. They would not let anyone inside, but instead took
their phone number and called them when their table was ready. I and
others found that a to be a major pain in the ass considering it was pouring
rain with thunderstorms and everyone was soaked. They could have done
that better I think. I saw maybe three customers wearing masks. The meal
was fantastic other than that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
One thing I am keenly interested to see is how once things open, how well establishments and customers observe sensible precautions. I don't plan to dine in anywhere for the foreseeable future, but I do want to know how they are operating.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:44 PM

310 posts, read 575,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Most of the "preventative measures" are nothing more than a feel-good measure. Like posted earlier, the lack of critical thinkers is very disheartening. Problem is those walking around with a mask actually think they're protecting their self by wearing it also think they're one of the critical thinkers. Such a shame.

Want to learn some truth? Watch the video below. And then watch how much I'm attacked for calling out a mask-wearer because it goes against what they know is "truth" and will never be able to be convinced otherwise because why? Simple. Those are the same folk who want to depend on government for guidance. I'm willing to wager most won't watch longer than the first 30 seconds just so a thought against their beliefs won't be put in their head.

https://youtu.be/W4ir6np7iCE
I got about 15 minutes into the video. It's about 97% discourse on how government restrictions are affecting individual liberties. That's all well and good, and his points may have some merit, but there is nothing in that video that could objectively be considered to be the "Truth". It is all political philosophy, which you are welcome to agree or disagree with, but it is not the "Truth". I didn't watch to the end not because I was afraid of my beliefs being challenged (I am all for my beliefs being challenged if there is a thoughtful, intelligent challenge to be made), but because it was pretty obviously a political argument with no scientific discussion or evidence presented.

The video really does nothing other than promote tribal politics. I would counter your assertion that the mask wearing tribe will attack you for going against what they know is the "truth" by pointing out that you, apparently a member of the non-mask wearing tribe, are "calling out" (a.k.a attacking) them for not being aware of what you know to be the "truth".

It seems that masks have given us just another easily identifiable way of tribal identification. Used to be we would need a MAGA hat or RESIST t-shirt to identify tribal members. Now we just need a mask or lack thereof.

I'd suggest this video contains more truth than the one you linked to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLPe7XjdKc

I wear a mask even though I believe that it is not very effective at all in protecting me against airborne particles. I wear it for 3 reasons:

1. Although I do not believe I am infected there is a possibility that I am and I believe that the mask is fairly effective at preventing me from expelling large droplets of nasty crap that could infect other people. I realize that it does not completely stop transmission, but I am confident that it highly restricts it.

2. I also have selfish motivation to wear it in that it does keep me from sticking my finger up my nose or in my mouth after I've touch stuff.

3. Truth be told I'd rather be identified with the tribe that is concerned with attempting to slow the spread of disease than the tribe that is caviler with their spittle.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:50 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52015486

Old 05-25-2020, 06:08 AM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
This is all interesting discussion, but I'm hoping it can get back to focusing on customer and management/organizational behaviors in Phase 2 of the reopening in North Carolina. I shared my experiences and really was enjoying reading other peoples' experiences anywhere in North Carolina, not just the Triangle.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:29 AM

I’m curious how crowded places have been and if people have had to wait. Builder posted about an experience in Gastonia but interested in the Triangle. I went to Publix yesterday and usually there’s people waiting to get into First Watch. At 9:30 no one was there - no cars in lot. They only serve till 2 pm.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I stopped in Gastonia this evening at a Longhorn Steakhouse.
All the staff were wearing masks. There was plenty of distance
between tables. They would not let anyone inside, but instead took
their phone number and called them when their table was ready. I and
others found that a to be a major pain in the ass considering it was pouring
rain with thunderstorms and everyone was soaked. They could have done
that better I think. I saw maybe three customers wearing masks. The meal
was fantastic other than that....
Longhorn has done a great job with takeout through this. One of my new favorites. No restaurant can let you wait inside so if it’s raining probably best to call before you even go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary