Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 05:09 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Sneezing isn't the only way to transmit the virus. Just stop now. You're being ridiculous, and you know it.
Sneezing was just an example, but the odds are extraordinarily low that you’ll get the virus via someone’s breath from a 20 min trip to the grocery store. I think we have enough data to agree on that.

If people are so worried that they need to shame people and business owners publicly, then they staying home makes more sense.. There is almost nothing that you can’t get online or via a drive through or curbside. With or without a mask there is risk, and if you’re trying to keep that risk as low as possible, then you probably would be better off at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 05:14 PM

628 posts, read 399,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Sneezing was just an example, but the odds are extraordinarily low that you’ll get the virus via someone’s breath from a 20 min trip to the grocery store. I think we have enough data to agree on that..
You keep attempting to define the issue in the most narrow way possible. I never said anything about sneezing, a trip to the grocery store, etc. The fact is, wearing a mask lowers the risk of spreading the virus. Period. Whats next from you? "If you don't have the virus then wearing a mask won't lower your chances of spreading it"? Just stop.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:17 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
You keep attempting to define the issue in the most narrow way possible. I never said anything about sneezing, a trip to the grocery store, etc. The fact is, wearing a mask lowers the risk of spreading the virus. Period. Now stop.
Ok. You are right.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:28 PM

715 posts, read 889,388 times
Have been in the Outter Banks and it’s mixed as some are clearly not following our own N.C. beach laws but social distancing as well.

Enjoy now cause come September we are back to square one with a second wave and the NFL along with the precious NCAA college football will be shut down if it starts. Maybe we can have a rematch of that golf charity event for thanksgiving with Tiger,Phil,Brady and Manning..

Old 05-25-2020, 06:16 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Yes, there is, when masks can help prevent others from getting it, and so many in Staten Island have it and have died from it. So the Staten Islanders are not going to put up with the lack of consideration and I applaud them for it, rough as they were.

That sort of thing is unlikely to happen here because of how New Yorkers vs southerners express themselves...but if we had the same density and the same data...maybe
What are the chances that someone who is dead set against wearing a mask changes their mind because they are bullied in public to wear one? This is where sometimes I believe in having rational conversations with people you know and making sure the people you know who will listen to you know how you feel about the issue has a better ROI effort wise.

If anything I would probably stay far away from that person rather than confront them........

Old 05-25-2020, 07:02 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post

If anything I would probably stay far away from that person rather than confront them........
Exactly! I'd put as much distance in between me and whoever as reasonably possible. 20+ ft if I could. Now, if outside, I don't care. I remove my mask after leaving stores because wearing a mask is hot and thus uncomfortable for me.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:41 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFTMQEA View Post
Or, you could just mind your own business.
Too late, already did by the time you decided to troll this thread. And I will continue to give updates as are others, but feel free to skip this thread if it's not to your liking.

Back to our regularly-scheduled program - PF Changs had good safety protocols in place, we'll be back for more takeout.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:42 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
What are the chances that someone who is dead set against wearing a mask changes their mind because they are bullied in public to wear one? This is where sometimes I believe in having rational conversations with people you know and making sure the people you know who will listen to you know how you feel about the issue has a better ROI effort wise.

It worked there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Exactly! I'd put as much distance in between me and whoever as reasonably possible. 20+ ft if I could. Now, if outside, I don't care. I remove my mask after leaving stores because wearing a mask is hot and thus uncomfortable for me.
This is here, that is there.

I remove my mask right when I get to the car, I saw a meme that said removing the mask is the new removing your bra when you get home

Old 05-26-2020, 08:08 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...t-help/611482/

Old 05-26-2020, 08:20 AM

347 posts, read 522,368 times
Masks don't need to block all particles to effectively reduce virus transmission. The argument that masks are unnecessary because they don't stop all particles is completely wrong. Look at this figure from The Atlantic that I'm attaching. When we discuss the impact that masks have on R0 (reproduction number) of the virus, there are two primary variables. Mask adherence and mask filtration efficiency.

The sweet spot for reducing R0 to below 1, i.e. virus dies out because it can't spread, is about 60% of people wearing masks with 60% efficiency. You can play with the numbers a bit, e.g. fewer people wearing n95 masks will work as well. But the gist is that crappy masks work when everyone wears them.

Phase 2 behaviours - let's see how this goes-screen-shot-2020-05-26-6.09.41
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary