Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 03:41 PM

18,108 posts, read 15,683,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I’m reading the book “Educated” by Tara Westover right now and it shows some insight into the dangers that going to far down the road of being anti intellectualism can be.
I'll have to check this book out.

I can't imagine being anti-intellectual; why would someone ever choose to be ignorant and self-limiting? Being smart, educated, and able to apply logic and objective reasoning is a big #win at life. We humans were given brains and those brains have evolved and grown over many thousands of years. Darwin isn't about survival of the dumbest most recalcitrant mammal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 03:45 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'll have to check this book out.

I can't imagine being anti-intellectual; why would someone ever choose to be ignorant and self-limiting? Being smart, educated, and able to apply logic and objective reasoning is a big #win at life. We humans were given brains and those brains have evolved and grown over many thousands of years. Darwin isn't about survival of the dumbest most recalcitrant mammal.
It’s because thinking about things sometimes challenges one’s beliefs and preconceptions, which can sometimes require real thought and work,

Old 05-25-2020, 04:01 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Had to google QAnon. Yikes. The dystopian novel just keeps writing itself here in this dimension.
OMG, you hadn’t heard about that whole thing. It would be hilarious if people weren’t so tied up in it and acting on the random predictions.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:10 PM

628 posts, read 399,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Are they more or less effective than coughing or sneezing into your elbow?
More.

Quote:
There are some people that legitimately can't wear a mask for medical reasons. Probably not a ton, but enough that it's silly to publicly shame people.
Its also silly to bring up a tiny percentage of people that "can't wear a mask".

Old 05-25-2020, 04:21 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I guess that was why I asked - is there any point in shaming a handful of people who choose not to wear a mask? It's a huge problem here because we are nowhere near to a majority of people wearing a mask in indoor spaces but on Staten Island where the large majority are, it's probably not something to get as upset over if 90% of people are.
Yes, there is, when masks can help prevent others from getting it, and so many in Staten Island have it and have died from it. So the Staten Islanders are not going to put up with the lack of consideration and I applaud them for it, rough as they were.

That sort of thing is unlikely to happen here because of how New Yorkers vs southerners express themselves...but if we had the same density and the same data...maybe

Old 05-25-2020, 04:43 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
More.
That’s your opinion and that’s cool. I personally am on the fence because I’m fed so much conflicting info. But I wear a mask if I’m gonna be close to people.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
That’s your opinion and that’s cool.
LOL. yes, its cool, but its not an opinion. Please stop trolling.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:51 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
LOL. yes, its cool, but its not an opinion. Please stop trolling.
Sorry I disagree. I don’t know of any proof that someone sneezing into a cloth mask that may or may not fit correctly, is any safer than someone sneezing into their elbow. Both block the majority of larger droplets, but don’t come close to blocking everything.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:52 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Quote:
If think we were seeing cases from regular breathing during short trips in public places, we'd be in deep deep trouble. We would certainly have more than 1450 cases in Wake County, population 1.1 million.

Seems like extended exposure is the key, which is why nursing homes, relatives, and close contact workplaces like meat packing plants are the hardest hit by far.
For sure.

It’s a pretty simple situation...the more virus you get on (in) you, the more likely you are to get sick. So a short amount of time in the vicinity of a high concentration of virus will probably do it (infected person sneezes directly on you), or a longer period in a lower concentration of virus can do it (big part of the reason why there’s concern about personal services like salons and tattoo parlors...extended period of time in close proximity to another person).

But it’s not like there’s a magic number of virus particles you need to be exposed to to get sick. It’s all probabilities. If you get 10 viruses on you, you’re very unlikely to get it. If you get 10 million viruses on you, you’ll almost certainly get it. But in between there’s that range of probabilities, so please wear a mask and reduce the potential number of virus particles you might get on me if you happen to be sick.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry I disagree. I don’t know of any proof that someone sneezing into a cloth mask that may or may not fit correctly, is any safer than someone sneezing into their elbow. Both block the majority of larger droplets, but don’t come close to blocking everything.
Sneezing isn't the only way to transmit the virus. Just stop now. You're being ridiculous, and you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary