Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 01:21 PM

1,462 posts, read 660,563 times

Advertisements

On a lighter note. Thanks to The Klunk and GVoR for reminding me how hilarious George Carlin was. And he was born and raised in Manhattan not.........Staten Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 01:35 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I think this is at the opposite end of the spectrum. Bullying someone into wearing a mask is not the right way to go about it either.

(Side note, assuming wearing a mask is effective at containing the spread, what % of people would need to be wearing a mask for it to eliminate it spreading in public spaces? I know for vaccines, herd immunity works if 80-85% of people are vaccinated for a particular disease)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
No need to assume. Masks are, in fact, effective at reducing the spread.

Masks aren't 100% effective at preventing the spread, so your question doesn't have an answer.
the figure I've seen is if 80% of folks wore 60% effective masks, the RR # would go less than 1. ANd that would effectively end it. Of course, any R > 0.0 means it hasn't been eliminated.

Nothing will truly eliminate COVID, just as nothing has eliminated the flu.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
176 new cases reported today.

Covid must've taken a break for the long weekend
and during the Gov's presser, a reporter asked about the "troubling spike in cases" - May 22 was 758, May 23 was one-day highest of 1,107 - which both Cooper and Cohen addressed very seriously. Unfortunately, they didn't acknowledge that cases have fallen more dramatically than they rose - all 3 days hence have been below May 22nd's.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The messaging from the government in regards to masks has not helped at all. When you consistently tell people not to buy and wear masks and that social distancing is enough, and then pivot to saying that everybody should consider wearing a mask in public in the matter of weeks, you're going to have people doubting the credibility of that message and sow conspiracy theory seeds. Not to mention that many officials who are in the public eye don't believe in wearing masks as well.....

The message from the start should have been to encourage people not to buy medical-grade masks but to consider wearing some sort of face covering until more is known about the respiratory disease.

Also, NC has not been hit hard so far by COVID-19 so I would say the majority of people do not know anybody who has had COVID-19 or been affected by it (or died, that's the biggest thing that will get someone's attention quickly). So therefore, not as many people here see the impacts that people in other hard hit areas like NYC have and to them it's some far off illness that's mostly in another place. (Lack of urgency)
I think a simple "if 80% wore masks for 2 weeks, then we'd come as close to eliminating as possible. Please wear a mask indoors in public for the next 2 weeks, in addition to all that great hygiene and social-distancing. Just imagine - if you can trouble yourself for 2 weeks, you won't have to wear a mask anymore."

and if the CDC believes in that study, then get Ivanka to convince Trump to say it if Birx/Fauci can't. "Please".

Old 05-26-2020, 01:57 PM

1,462 posts, read 660,563 times
Look at it this way. If just one cashier, truck driver, EMT, nurse, office cleaner etc. feels safer with the majority of people wearing masks, think of their peace of mind and put on a mask. If you can't bear to acknowledge the scientific basis of it all, consider it a trade off for them having to go to work everyday and putting themselves and their families at risk. If you "think" there isn't enough risk, do it anyway because maybe it truly isn't all about you. So if you don't have medical, psychiatric issues etc that preclude wearing a mask, put one on to just "make all the people on the front lines happy." Think of how you'll feel making such a major sacrifice for your country and the public good.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:20 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I think a simple "if 80% wore masks for 2 weeks, then we'd come as close to eliminating as possible. Please wear a mask indoors in public for the next 2 weeks, in addition to all that great hygiene and social-distancing. Just imagine - if you can trouble yourself for 2 weeks, you won't have to wear a mask anymore."

and if the CDC believes in that study, then get Ivanka to convince Trump to say it if Birx/Fauci can't. "Please".
I agree. The unwillingness (to date) to do this is bewildering. I mean, I'll say this, if they don't work, why is at least one campaign making them for sale? I certainly get the P.T. Barnum possibility, but that usually doesn't win a bunch of goodwill.

Apparently a bunch of Gov's on today's Gov call with Pence asked for this messaging explicitly. Pence apparently said "we hear you loud and clear on the message going forward"

Old 05-26-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
That's what I have heard from people. From your posts, it seems like you live in the zipcode 27519, is that correct?

If you look at NCDHHS zipcode date, 27519 I think only has 38 cases. 27519 has a population of around 55-60k. That's quite a bit less than 1%.

People hear those numbers and don't see the advantage of wearing a mask. Can you blame them? This is how humans think/do risk assessments.
is that considered "anti-intellectual"?

"I can't get it because I'm under 65" - stupid and anti-intellectual.

But is this:

The rate of infection in Wake County is 0.1% - one-tenth of 1%; 1 person in every thousand have been infected so far, and every 30 days another 1 in 500 people get it.

Oh, and if you're not in congregate living, your chances were cut in half. 1 person in every 2,000. 1 in 4000 every 30 days.

22 of 33 deaths were in nursing homes.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
But does it really matter how many people have had it? Isn't it hospitalizations and deaths that are what really matter? Both of which have been very low in NC thus far.

I'd like to think that the data behind hospitalizations and deaths aren't as vague as cases themselves.
one could *probably* model by using month-old insights that say 5% of cases require hospitalization, 2% require ICU. And the average stay is 8 days total, 16 in ICU.

What we do know is NC hospitalizations today are 75 higher than May 1. That's with 12-13K additional positive cases.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:18 PM

628 posts, read 399,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
The rate of infection in Wake County is 0.1% - one-tenth of 1%; 1 person in every thousand have been infected so far, and every 30 days another 1 in 500 people get it.
Unless every resident of Wake County has been tested then you don't know what the infection rate is and your statistic is meaningless.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:24 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Unless every resident of Wake County has been tested then you don't know what the infection rate is and your statistic is meaningless.
Cases would go up, percent hospitalized and percentage of deaths would go down. Which should we worry about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary