Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 06:45 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,128 times

Advertisements

Clayton area maybe?

We’ve been extremely happy in Apex, but all of our neighbors are from NY, NJ, PA, and scattered other states (WI, OH, etc). We love it here and the people are very friendly and polite. Haven’t asked me where to find a proper NY Style pizza or bagel yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 07:09 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Johnston county (well, East, away from Clayton where there can be quite a few people from the north) Harnett County.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:11 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,126 times
Given the growth in the area, I think you're going to be hard pressed to find many parts of the Raleigh metro area that don't have a lot of folks from outside the south, and if you do, it probably won't last long. That said, there are still some pockets that have been less changed than others from all the growth.

As far as Raleigh itself, the stat I recently saw showed that just over 50% are from outside North Carolina but not necessarily the south. However, given that most folks who relocate here from NJ, NY, PA, MA, and other places from up north and out west, it does seem reasonable to conclude that most of the not-by-birth North Carolinians are from outside the south.

As a pp mentioned, inside the belt line (ITB) still has a fair amount of folks that are from Raleigh. However, many of them are the old Raleigh monied set and not mere mortals. Development is booming, gentrification is rampant, and prices have skyrocketed over the years because of people moving into the area with enormous amounts of money to spend on homes...and then some tear them down and build new. Most of the people I knew growing up in that part of Raleigh that still live in the area don't live ITB and couldn't afford to even if they wanted to.

So basically, I don't think you'll find much in Raleigh proper. And as you mentioned, Cary is a major destination for people moving into the area from up north, although as a pp mentioned, there are still plenty of folks there originally from the area.

So going down the rest of your list, I'd say:

Chapel Hill? big NO
Wake Forest? While there are still some elements of old, given the growth, definitely no
Apex? mini Cary, so big NO
Holly Springs? mixed bag, you could still find an old school area but basically it's Cary south
Morrisville? Very interesting area with all the diversity now but not southern culture area
Knightdale? While there's a lot of growth, sill a yes
Garner? Same as Knightdale area
Fuquay-Varina? See Holly Springs answer
Carrboro? like Chapel Hill, big no there

I'd check out Wendell and Zebulon and possibly even Rolesville, although that's rapidly changing. Basically east of Raleigh in Wake County and maybe some areas north and south as well might work but not really Western Wake. I'd also recommend looking a little further afield in the surrounding counties like Franklin, Johnston, Harnett, and Granville.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:23 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,746,709 times
Like others said, you need to pick a more Southern state. It's about perception and you can get an idea if others want to move here. If you ask a northeast resident about Alabama, they will probably say "Who the hell wants to move to that southern hellhole?"

If you ask a northeast resident about NC (or even an immigrant), they will say "Oh, I heard that's a good place to live!

Old 07-26-2020, 07:24 AM

6,375 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubroach View Post
I heard somewhere that while Cary NC is a southern city basically everyone is a Yankee or Immigrant. Lots of people from the New York City Metro area.

I also heard that about fifty percent of Raleigh residents are from outside the south.

Is there any City of Raleigh neighborhood or community in the greater Raleigh metro area that has a more traditional southern culture? Where most of the residents grew up in the south. Chapel Hill? Wake Forest, Apex? Holly Springs? Morrisville? Knightdale? Garner? Fuquay-Varina? or Carrboro?
lmao, no, definitely not, not anymore, LOL, maybe, yes, for now, LMFAO!

Old 07-26-2020, 07:52 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Smithfield, Selma, Zebulon, Sanford, Lillington, Louisburg, Wilson.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:53 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Knightdale? While there's a lot of growth, sill a yes
Garner? Same as Knightdale area
................Basically east of Raleigh in Wake County and maybe some areas north and south as well might work but not really Western Wake. I'd also recommend looking a little further afield in the surrounding counties like Franklin, Johnston, Harnett, and Granville.
The OP can also check profiles on the main City-Data site. There are some stats on people moving in from other areas. There are also voting stats from the 2016 election, if the OP is looking for red-dsate voters. An example is the one for Garner: //www.city-data.com/city/Garner...-Carolina.html

My informal research about chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution confirms the above. The Garner chapter has mostly women whose ancestor came from North Carolina and Virginia. The Cary Chapter are about half Yankees and half southerners.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:16 AM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
No place around here is going to be like Charleston, SC. Or most places in SC, which most people in the Triangle would consider a good thing. DH and DD just got back from a college visit to SC and weren't impressed by the natives.

I too read your prior posts, are you sure the federal government will let you re-locate? With my company you have to live where they do business. So I could go anywhere in any state where we do business but that's it. And what is the end game? Are you going to look for new jobs where you end up? Or are you going to keep working for the gov't and hope they don't try to push you back to the office?

Old 07-26-2020, 08:33 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Clayton area maybe?

We’ve been extremely happy in Apex, but all of our neighbors are from NY, NJ, PA, and scattered other states (WI, OH, etc). We love it here and the people are very friendly and polite. Haven’t asked me where to find a proper NY Style pizza or bagel yet.
Of course not. They know to ask only fellow New Yorkers that question!

Old 07-26-2020, 08:41 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,170 times
Nope. Move to Spartanburg, SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary