Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:22 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Shhhhh! We don't want him here. He'd be much happier in the deep south where there are trees and no immigrants.
Good point! I figured he already had his bags packed and was on his way to one the small towns in rural Alabama, Mississippi, or Arkansas that he seemed so fond of though. Even back in the day, the Raleigh area was probably too urban and diverse for his taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 04:35 PM

805 posts, read 524,724 times
For a region that prides itself on hospitality, the south is a lot less welcoming to newcomers than the NE. Strange. Thankfully, the Raleigh area is friendly to new arrivals.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:47 PM

628 posts, read 399,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
For a region that prides itself on hospitality, the south is a lot less welcoming to newcomers than the NE. Strange. Thankfully, the Raleigh area is friendly to new arrivals.
Not strange at all. Its the natural byproduct of situation involving a region that has received hundreds of thousands of new residents, many of whom spend a lot of time criticizing their new home and complaining how it compares unfavorably to the place they left.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:29 PM

805 posts, read 524,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Not strange at all. Its the natural byproduct of situation involving a region that has received hundreds of thousands of new residents, many of whom spend a lot of time criticizing their new home and complaining how it compares unfavorably to the place they left.
I think there’s more to it than that. I’ve been in the south more than half my life, and I’ll always be a “yankee” to the “natives”.

I lived in FL for over a decade. When I drive back to my old FL neighborhood with my NC plates and gear, I also get treated like an outsider. It’s just an insular culture.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 PM

628 posts, read 399,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I think there’s more to it than that.
Ok. I don't.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:44 PM

125 posts, read 106,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Maybe add Creedmoor to that list. It's a bit closer than some others to the triangle, but seems to be a typical southern town when I cut through on my way to I-85 North.
Yes. I was going to say Creedmoor to the north, and Angier to the south. Both have a southern feel.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:18 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
You never been on old 64 going to Rocky Mount. It’s just on the other side of Spring Hope. You couldn’t miss it for the smell of wood pulp
I was raised going to AB/Bogue Banks. I don't think I ever went to Rocky Mount in my life until I was at least 21. I *think* you can see thee paper mill from the new 64 right before you get to 95? I could easily be confused.

I do distinctly remember going to downtown Wiltson in my mid-20's and looking at those big old houses (tobacco $ I assume) and being astounded at how cheap they were in the early 90's.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
The downtown area certainly has a quaint Southern small town feel and some of the homes in the surrounding neighborhoods are right out of a scene from To Kill A Mockingbird. And there's the train for added charm. But with the massive growth of the town over the past few decades and the big shift in demographics, I think overall Apex is more akin to a high growth suburban area like Cary.

That's not to say that's all bad. I mean when I was a kid, Apex was in the middle of nowhere, and I used to chuckle at the "Downtown Apex" sign on 64. My mom used to work in the community with folks that were living in pretty extreme rural poverty. The area had basically gotten left behind in a lot of ways. So the town has come a long way and seems to be thriving again. That said, there can be too much of a good thing.

Honestly, I think Apex is pretty nice and would consider living there if it weren't for the nuclear power plant and the enormous amount of spent fuel being stored at the site from other reactors. That place being built out there is indicative of what the population was way back then, both in density and political clout.
the nuclear power plant is in Holly Springs, and always has been (if one were to assign it a "town" way back then).

I'm from Durham. I remember in the 1980's (primarily) driving down 55 where it was 2 lane nothing from Parkwood to a brief "town" in Apex - from 64 to US1, past the vet on right and cemetery on the left, under the RR tracks and nothing but Dallas Chicken. Then you got to a place called "Holly Springs" which is where the Town Hall is but was maybe a blinking light, and then you got to the combined Fuquay-Varina.

Last edited by BoBromhal; 07-27-2020 at 08:34 PM..

Old 07-27-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Sounds like this isn't the place for you then and you had the answer to the question before you even asked it. Run along now!
what was that last person's name who asked so much about Clayton and then came in flaming about 4 months ago?

so familiar to this topic, but on the tip of my tongue.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:26 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the nuclear power plant is in Holly Springs, and always has been (if one were to assign it a "town" way back then).
Well, technically it’s in New Hill. I certainly didn’t mean to imply that it’s actually in Apex itself, but it’s definitely very close. Apex is in the 10 mile evacuation zone. I’d prefer not to live anywhere I need to keep potassium iodide tablets on hand.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 07-27-2020 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: Too sleepy to post well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary