Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 02:32 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times

Advertisements

So obviously buffets are out, unless they make big changes. Last year we did the buffet at Angus Barn. If I remember correctly, it was *not* self serve. In our house we are debating having a small group over and doing the typical cooked turkey, vegetables, etc. I even thought of going out to a restaurant if I can confirm they will be open. I'm checking on Saint Jacques (Raleigh) to see if they're open.

Edit: Just checked schedule at Saint Jacques looks like a no-go.

Has anyone done a "to-go" Thanksgiving dinner from Harris Teeter or Lowes, or another grocery store, that they would recommend? In the past I have ordered a Heritage turkey but I have to check if it's too late. Tastes very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 03:01 PM

888 posts, read 806,274 times
This would be the year to skip all that and avoid any diseases floating around outside your home

Old 10-05-2020, 03:02 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
We usually cook and host something here for the family, but will likely not do that this year. If the weather is warm and we can host it outdoors, maybe. My dad is in an assisted living facility and probably won't be able to leave, even if he could, going out to eat is not safe for him in my opinion and getting him out here to our house just makes him very confused (he has dementia). If my husband and I cook for ourselves, which we likely will, we'll deliver food to him. Our son was living here up until this past weekend, since early April. He's doing everything he can to use masks, social distancing, etc. He may come here for dinner, or he may not, it's up to him.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:12 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
This would be the year to skip all that and avoid any diseases floating around outside your home
Well you don't say much. I don't know if you are suggesting skipping the buffet, which most people would agree with, or skipping the to go food. In the last 2-3 months we've had 2 friends over to join us on our screened in porch. But we are not sure they want to eat indoors, so they might agree with you.

It may come down to just the two of us eating dinner. Maybe cooking a chicken. We have been eating outdoors mostly but that doesn't seem an option around Thanksgiving.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Edit: Just checked schedule at Saint Jacques looks like a no-go.

Has anyone done a "to-go" Thanksgiving dinner from Harris Teeter or Lowes, or another grocery store, that they would recommend? In the past I have ordered a Heritage turkey but I have to check if it's too late. Tastes very good.
I have not done a "to-go" Thanksgiving Dinner before, but just saw on Instagram that Mandolin Raleigh is taking orders for their "to-go" dinners and it looks pretty fantastic.

https://www.mandolinraleigh.com/stor...ving-dinner-1/

Old 10-05-2020, 04:17 PM

222 posts, read 219,014 times
The to-go Thanksgiving dinners from the Fresh Market are excellent. And I think next weekend they are doing a preview of what they offer on Saturday and Sunday.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:31 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
The to-go Thanksgiving dinners from the Fresh Market are excellent. And I think next weekend they are doing a preview of what they offer on Saturday and Sunday.
I've sampled their food in the past and it's very good. The last couple of years I've gotten the vegan Thanksgiving dinner from Whole Foods and probably will do that again this year (and enjoy it while camping at Falls Lake for the weekend).

Old 10-05-2020, 05:59 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,011 times
I am glad this thread was started so I don't get sidetracked in planning ahead for this.

I mentioned in another thread about going to the beach in FL for a small amount of friends and family in place of heading back home for a larger group of family and friends, but that's looking more like a Christmas thing at this point.

We have spent a couple Thanksgivings here and not with family before, once at the now Seasons 52, I forget the other but I remember Angus Barn being booked out many months in advance. By then it will be too cold for outdoors and there will be even more competition for safe indoor dining.

One recurring deterrent has been the traditional mass travel at this time, wonder what it will be like this year. Thinking maybe a trip to Asheville would make for some festive atmosphere.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:00 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
I ordered Thanksgiving dinner from Whole Foods last year. Did the a full sized meal despite it being just me. I portioned out a bunch of meals that I froze and enjoyed months later. Looking forward to doing that again this year.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 725,077 times
If you're not too far from downtown, I highly recommend Weaver Street Market. The best prepared Thanksgiving meals I've ever gotten were from the one in Carrboro. They're at least as good as homemade and beat Whole Foods hands down IMO. Don't miss the dinner rolls and the mashed potatoes and the desserts...especially the apple pie...and the pumpkin cheesecake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary