Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 09:49 AM

773 posts, read 645,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
You can hide forever, or enjoy life. Im choosing to enjoy my life as I normally do. With family on thanksgiving and a home cooked meal. We are all going to be exposed to the virus and the numbers prove that. You are not stopping a virus unless the vaccine proves to be successful, and if its like the flu shot then it wont be.
Who says I'm hiding and not enjoying life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 12:02 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
This narrative that if you're taking precautions and minimizing exposure to the virus, you must be hiding and living in fear is complete and utter BS. Are you living in fear when you put on a seatbelt? Are you living in fear if you wear a helmet to ride a bike or motorcycle? When you hold the handrail while going down stairs? Put on sunscreen? Change the batteries in your smoke detector? No. It's called mitigating risks. It's smart and responsible behavior. And I'm tired of people condescendingly suggesting that I'm hiding or living in fear.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:22 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
This narrative that if you're taking precautions and minimizing exposure to the virus, you must be hiding and living in fear is complete and utter BS. Are you living in fear when you put on a seatbelt? Are you living in fear if you wear a helmet to ride a bike or motorcycle? When you hold the handrail while going down stairs? Put on sunscreen? Change the batteries in your smoke detector? No. It's called mitigating risks. It's smart and responsible behavior. And I'm tired of people condescendingly suggesting that I'm hiding or living in fear.
Asked the same questions back in March and April and never got an answer (hit on the seatbelt proxy specifically)....because there isn't one. Its nothing more than illogical mental gymnastics.

1. Risk Mitigation is fear.
2. Fear is weakness
3. Nothing worse than weakness because only certain types of people are fearful and lack that virile, rugged individualism...frankly, weakness is unAmerican
4. Rinse
5. Repeat

If wearing a seat belt or a helmet on a motorcycle is a sign of weakness....sign me up baby...I may not be an expert, but I certainly can grasp basic Physics and Physiology.

Now excuse me while I start Bachelor Week with a bang at my buddy's. Enjoy your Saturday everyone.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:29 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Yup and meanwhile the gun toting, stockpiling-food-in-my-basement so I can be ready for anything crowd are the ones screaming and tantruming loudest about how everything needs to go back to normal, proving they are all talk and no action and can't handle anything, actually.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:14 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
A big +1 to what you, GVoR and Twingles responded with, except I don't say I'm tired of it, instead I am still amused by those sheep.

See what I did there.....

Old 10-10-2020, 06:47 PM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
We checked tonight. It appears that Bojangles isn’t offering their fried turkey this year

Anywhere else I could order a fried turkey for Thanksgiving locally?

Old 10-10-2020, 08:07 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
I’m looking forward to my garden carrots being (crossed fingers) ready to be roasted with a little salt, pepper, olive oil and honey on Thanksgiving. The kids keep wanting to pull them up to “check if they are ready. I then spray them with the garden hose.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:01 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Asked the same questions back in March and April and never got an answer (hit on the seatbelt proxy specifically)....because there isn't one. Its nothing more than illogical mental gymnastics.

1. Risk Mitigation is fear.
2. Fear is weakness
3. Nothing worse than weakness because only certain types of people are fearful and lack that virile, rugged individualism...frankly, weakness is unAmerican
4. Rinse
5. Repeat

If wearing a seat belt or a helmet on a motorcycle is a sign of weakness....sign me up baby...I may not be an expert, but I certainly can grasp basic Physics and Physiology.

Now excuse me while I start Bachelor Week with a bang at my buddy's. Enjoy your Saturday everyone.
I see it more as the speed limit being set at a decided number to mitigate risk while also allowing for efficient travel. There is a risk-reward notion at play. I agree people should try and socially distance, while wearing masks. It doesn’t hurt anything, and might actually help. At the same time, I think shuttering the economy and locking down travel for a virus that has shown to be marginally dangerous to a huge segment of the working population is akin to setting the speed limit on the interstate at 5 mph.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:50 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
^^ This^^

Old 10-12-2020, 06:25 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Triangle Vegetarian Society will be offering a take out Thanksgiving meal this year in lieu of their very popular buffet:

https://www.trianglevegsociety.org/thanksgiving/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary