Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 05:37 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,168,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Can I ask the advantage of Moderna over the others?
Both Moderna and Pfizer are highly effective against mild, moderate, and severe illness and death. JnJ is less effective against mild and moderate illness.

Moderna and Pfizer are very safe, with only mild "vaccination" type symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 05:54 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Who gives a rats a$$ which one it is?
We do. My Better Half has a history of anaphylatic shock, which has occurred with the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. It's not a mild reaction - it can result in death if not treated immediately. Getting either one of those vaccines at a Walgreens is not an option for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
but JnJ is significantly LESS effective than Pfizer and Moderna (66% vs 94/95%). Why would I NOT want the vaccine that gives the most all around protection? So no, I'm not going to just take any old vaccine. I will do my homework and find Moderna or Pfizer. (Which I did. And got Moderna.)
The J&J vaccine is 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death. I'll take being sick on the couch for a few days, versus the other two options.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:56 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Yeah I think I changed my mind on the J&J LOL. 66% efficiency is ok but if I'm going to bother I'll get one of the other ones.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:25 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,258,889 times
Walgreen's has the Pfizer vaccine.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:28 AM

152 posts, read 209,134 times
We got appointments at Walgreens in Lumberton (about 2 hours from Cary). Worth the drive to finally get the vaccine... BTW, they have Pfizer vaccines...

Old 03-17-2021, 06:58 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
What we still don't know about any of these vaccines is how effectively they prevent transmission of the virus by asymptomatic or, in the case of J&J, by mildly ill people. One might speculate that because the J&J vaccine is less effective at preventing mild illness, it is also less effective at preventing contagion from ill people. But that's speculation, and even if it is less effective, it's effective enough to help us achieve herd immunity... assuming that we reach 65-80% vaccination overall.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
We do. My Better Half has a history of anaphylatic shock, which has occurred with the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. It's not a mild reaction - it can result in death if not treated immediately. Getting either one of those vaccines at a Walgreens is not an option for us.

The J&J vaccine is 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death. I'll take being sick on the couch for a few days, versus the other two options.

Don - I'm not making a case for one vaccine over the other but wanted to pass this info along. When I got my first Pfizer shot last night at Wake Med on New Bern Ave they have you immediately go to a large waiting room and sit (spaced out) with others for 15 minutes for "observation". While you sit there you make your second appointment using the MyChart App. There are 2-3 volunteers monitoring the room in case any issues arise.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:32 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Even i will agree that is one of the few valid reasons for searching for a specific manufacturer - for your better half. For you - nope, just take what you can get ASAP.

(On a personal note, a few months shy of my 65th birthday with chronic conditions, I finally became eligible today. No appointments available anywhere.)

Old 03-17-2021, 08:42 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
When I got my first Pfizer shot last night at Wake Med on New Bern Ave they have you immediately go to a large waiting room and sit (spaced out) with others for 15 minutes for "observation".
Yes, getting the shot at a medical facility could be an option, especially compared to a Walgreens, where there would probably not be anyone available to handle an emergency. However, based on the latest info I saw, no one has had a reaction to the J&J vaccine, so that is our preference.

Timing-wise, it may work out to be the same (2-shot vs 1-shot), as reports are, after the first J&J vaccines are used, it will be a couple weeks before more arrive.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:45 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
At least we don't have to worry about the AstroZeneca or Sinovac vaccines here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary