Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 09:21 AM

42 posts, read 55,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Even i will agree that is one of the few valid reasons for searching for a specific manufacturer - for your better half. For you - nope, just take what you can get ASAP.

(On a personal note, a few months shy of my 65th birthday with chronic conditions, I finally became eligible today. No appointments available anywhere.)
You can try for appointments at starmed . care . Remove the spaces. The drive thru vaccine clinic is scheduled at Ting Park starting tomorrow.

The town of Morrisville also posted one at HSNC this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 09:43 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Thank you. No appointments at either, but I was able to add myself to waiting lists.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:32 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
I was finally able to get an appointment for a drive thru in Sanford at the end of the month. Which is sooner than I expected.

I'm on every freaking waiting list that exists, so maybe I'll be lucky. But if not, I'm at least scheduled.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:35 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
I was able to get a shot yesterday at Walgreens. (Moderna). 28 hours later I'm not experiencing any side effects yet aside from a little arm soreness.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:18 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Both Moderna and Pfizer are highly effective against mild, moderate, and severe illness and death. JnJ is less effective against mild and moderate illness.

Moderna and Pfizer are very safe, with only mild "vaccination" type symptoms.
Yes, but you have to remember that JNJ was trialed during a different time period than Pfizer and Moderna, which was when the virus was more rampant and there were more variants. So, it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Also, their trial protocols were different.

Having said that, I wanted the Pfizer vaccine because it's been out for longer than JNJ; Israel is giving great feedback on it, and I read their news religiously; and wait time is one week less than Moderna. My husband got JNJ and my daughter got Moderna. I would have taken any of them, but the advantage of not being in one of the first groups to get it, is I was able to find a location that had the vaccine I wanted. I drove to the Wake Forest CVS for the Pfizer vaccine.

Last edited by michgc; 03-17-2021 at 12:34 PM..

Old 03-17-2021, 12:40 PM

781 posts, read 743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Here's why it matters to me... All 3 are effective against severe illness and death, but JnJ is significantly LESS effective than Pfizer and Moderna (66% vs 94/95%). Why would I NOT want the vaccine that gives the most all around protection? So no, I'm not going to just take any old vaccine. I will do my homework and find Moderna or Pfizer. (Which I did. And got Moderna.)

Ah ok, that makes sense! I was guessing that was what you were getting at. I can see why someone might not want J+J. I would have taken it though.

I had my first dose of Pfizer today, but I had to drive 1 hour to get it. I’m in group 4.

I keep hearing stories about Moderna side effects from people up north. Most of them are 30-40 age range, but my 65 year old relative had moderate side effects from it too.

My best friend, who is my age, gets the second Pfizer shot soon. Curious what she will have to say about it. I have talked to a couple older folks 65-70 who have had both Pfizer shots with no issues. Supposedly older people have less of a reaction.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:40 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
White Dove Pharmacy has the J&J vaccine - it's in Cary on the corner of HIghway 55 and Green Level West (which is basically High House, just the other side of 55).

Old 03-17-2021, 04:24 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,170 times
Got an appointment at the Greensboro FEMA vaccination site for Tuesday, it's Pfizer. Trying to time the vaccination by a large upcoming project...Monday would be better...will keep checking.

The scheduling site puts up new appointments constantly, you have to keep hitting reload.

https://www.guilfordcountync.gov/how...e-registration

Old 03-17-2021, 07:48 PM

327 posts, read 602,854 times
Mandy Cohen said we won't get anymore J&J vaccine until around the 1st of April. So if you want a Pfizer or Moderna shot, now's the time to get it.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:14 PM

466 posts, read 699,972 times
Yes there's no sugar coating it, the second dose (Pfizer in my case) leads to a great immune system work-out which leads to flu-like symptoms for 24-36 hours. Then the next day you wake up and boom back to normal, aside from arm soreness.

My parents and in-laws did not have as much of a reaction after the second dose so there's something to be said for being older and getting the doses.

I read Moderna is starting to consider trials down to 6 months of age, so really hoping kids will be eligible before year's end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary