Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 06:18 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times

Advertisements

Like michgc said, the J&J trials were done more recently, and in locations where the virus had time to change it's spike protein structure. Moderna and Pzifer trials were done many months ago and in areas where there was confirmed be no changes to the virus - the original Wuhan strain.

You can't directly compare their efficacy numbers. But I understand the "peace of mind" process people go through with numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 07:20 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm on every freaking waiting list that exists, so maybe I'll be lucky.
This shows how poorly the vaccine distribution is being handled. Why should we have to sign up for multiple lists across the state? (I'm guilty as well, signed up in Durham, Wake, Chatham and Lee). Think of all the time and effort wasted as every county and health care system has their programmers create/support the web pages used to sign up.

I'll stay out of the political issues of blame, but we have had a year to plan for this, and have failed both on the Federal and State level.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:46 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
This shows how poorly the vaccine distribution is being handled. Why should we have to sign up for multiple lists across the state? (I'm guilty as well, signed up in Durham, Wake, Chatham and Lee). Think of all the time and effort wasted as every county and health care system has their programmers create/support the web pages used to sign up.

I'll stay out of the political issues of blame, but we have had a year to plan for this, and have failed both on the Federal and State level.
Big picture but besides Israel, UAE and UK we are doing much better at vaccinations than other countries. The vaccine rollout in Europe has been a disaster.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:22 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Big picture but besides Israel, UAE and UK we are doing much better at vaccinations than other countries. The vaccine rollout in Europe has been a disaster.
Israel is, But UAE is already showing problems with Sinopharm which went to ~60% of it's population already requiring a third dose. The per 100 vaccinations of the UK is nearly the same as the US. Everyone else is way below.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:38 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Absolutely. I was surprised with how haphazard and piecemeal things are here that we are doing that much better than most countries, but I guess that is American financial and political power. Even when we have a messed up system, you put enough strength behind it, and I guess we can kinda get it done, at least partially. Combined with the appalling number of people in the US who got COVID plus the vaccine rollout maybe we will come closer to reaching herd immunity sooner rather than later.

The NYTimes has a good world map of vaccination status. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

Hope that J&J vax can get cranking and can get to the countries that don't have the refrigeration for the Moderna and Pfizer.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:10 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Absolutely. I was surprised with how haphazard and piecemeal things are here that we are doing that much better than most countries, but I guess that is American financial and political power. Even when we have a messed up system, you put enough strength behind it, and I guess we can kinda get it done, at least partially. Combined with the appalling number of people in the US who got COVID plus the vaccine rollout maybe we will come closer to reaching herd immunity sooner rather than later.

The NYTimes has a good world map of vaccination status. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

Hope that J&J vax can get cranking and can get to the countries that don't have the refrigeration for the Moderna and Pfizer.

It is terrible how Europeans are being so reluctant about getting vaccinated. My uncle and his family live in the Netherlands and apparently the vaccine hesitancy rate is so high it's crazy. He says the people you do not usually expect to be that staunch about things that are backed by scientific evidence, highly educated professionals do not want to get it. It's seems so backwards to me. The recent rejection or back-pedalling on Astrazeneca shows that even their governments aren't fully on board with this. The blood clotting and pulmonary problems were detected in less than 50 patients. That number is so ridiculously low and that it shouldn't have triggered such panicked response. Their governments should have had some solid, clear headed response to this, instead of creating a domino effect in stopping the vaccine and losing people's trust. Just absolutely dismayed with their leaders' response, tbh.

I think not having Trump is finally letting me see all that crap that's happening elsewhere in the world, lol. I do not think we'd be in this place with our vaccination rates with the last administration. He wouldn't even push his fans to get vaccinated right now.

Old 03-19-2021, 06:44 PM

465 posts, read 699,493 times
Yeah the UK is giving as many people the first dose as possible which has shown some effectiveness, so they are delaying the second dose by as much as 3 months.

The rest of Europe has been a mess--reading a NYT article it's because they wanted everybody to have a united front instead of letting each country decide what works best, as well as nickel and dime'ing the drug companies. Israel pays Pfizer $25 per dose, the US $20, and the EU $15. That and as HatchChile said vaccine hesitancy there runs about 35-45% compared to 25% in the US.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:51 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
It is terrible how Europeans are being so reluctant about getting vaccinated. My uncle and his family live in the Netherlands and apparently the vaccine hesitancy rate is so high it's crazy. He says the people you do not usually expect to be that staunch about things that are backed by scientific evidence, highly educated professionals do not want to get it. It's seems so backwards to me. The recent rejection or back-pedalling on Astrazeneca shows that even their governments aren't fully on board with this. The blood clotting and pulmonary problems were detected in less than 50 patients. That number is so ridiculously low and that it shouldn't have triggered such panicked response. Their governments should have had some solid, clear headed response to this, instead of creating a domino effect in stopping the vaccine and losing people's trust. Just absolutely dismayed with their leaders' response, tbh.

I think not having Trump is finally letting me see all that crap that's happening elsewhere in the world, lol. I do not think we'd be in this place with our vaccination rates with the last administration. He wouldn't even push his fans to get vaccinated right now.
The entire reason we were able to develop multiple vaccines so quickly was because of his administration. He was the one who came up with utilizing private entities to help distribute the vaccines as well.

He also stated "the vaccine was "safe" and "something that works" in a recent interview.

I voted for the other guy but honestly? I'm starting to have buyers remorse already. Get past his bluster and cutting red tape was amazing for the economy as was reducing overall tax burdens. The only thing Biden knows is to tell people to wear masks and now we are going to be wearing them in perpetuity as now Fauci is now advising the admin:

Quote:
"He was saying if you've been infected, or you've been vaccinated, don't wear a mask (referring to Dr. Paul) — which is completely against all public health tenets," Fauci continued. "So he's dead wrong. I mean, I don't have anything personally against him. But he's just quite frankly incorrect."
That isn't hyperbole - it was on CBS televised live. Watch here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/dr-ant...ng-approaches/

In that interview, he pushes for mask wearing in fully vaccinated people in addition to continue with no social gathering/social distancing.

F me. Universal mask wearing...forever? This guy would have everyone locked in their homes forever if he had his way.

He's also now saying it's possible schools will have to close next year due to the rise of the UK variant. Meanwhile look at the UK case counts...

Old 03-20-2021, 07:40 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
As of THIS time,, Walgreens has TONS of appointments available all over the Triangle. I'm guessing they will be gone by 11am at the latest.

They schedule 1st and second shots at the same time. Online scheduling only.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/vaccination/covid-19

Old 03-20-2021, 07:55 AM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Here's why it matters to me... All 3 are effective against severe illness and death, but JnJ is significantly LESS effective than Pfizer and Moderna (66% vs 94/95%). Why would I NOT want the vaccine that gives the most all around protection? So no, I'm not going to just take any old vaccine. I will do my homework and find Moderna or Pfizer. (Which I did. And got Moderna.)
That 66% vs. 95% effectiveness isn't the right comparison for several reasons. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine was tested in different settings — the US, several Latin American countries, and South Africa, where some variants of the virus were first seen. Moderna and Pfizer were not tested in those circumstances. What you should focus on is hospitalizations and deaths. All 3 vaccines have been shown to be close to 100% effective at preventing hospitalizations and deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary