Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 02:30 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times

Advertisements

You've essentially corroborated my first sentence. And one of what I listed is indeed what my mother and grandmother cooked that qualifies as Comfort Food for me.

We are saying the same thing / different locations.

So, country style/soul food for this thread.

We weren't huge fans of Big Ed's on FoN but always keen to try other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
harkening back to previous threads ....seems that a "Greek diner" isn't necessarily Greek food, rather it would be a diner owned by Greeks that included some Greek items. But otherwise was typical diner fare.

Historically in the South, "comfort food" would likely most closely align with certain entrees, but also the "meat and 3" plate.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:35 AM

853 posts, read 589,094 times
As an update, my wife and i went to Carolina BBQ in on US 70 Garner the other night. Although it's name implies BBQ, they serve all types of comfort foods. Like chicken pastry, fried chicken, all kinds of fried fish, ribs, chicken livers (wife's favorite), and BBQ pork (of course). All veggies are "country style". I like the place.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:08 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
harkening back to previous threads ....seems that a "Greek diner" isn't necessarily Greek food, rather it would be a diner owned by Greeks that included some Greek items. But otherwise was typical diner fare.

Historically in the South, "comfort food" would likely most closely align with certain entrees, but also the "meat and 3" plate.
I don't think I ever had Greek food at a Greek diner, except maybe a side Greek salad with whatever typical American food dish I was having. I wouldn't go to a diner for Greek food either. One key comfort food for me is 24x7 simple and reasonably-priced breakfast done right, which Greek Diners do well.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:39 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I never went to Watkins Grill. The crowd was a little on the rough side many years ago, and for that reason alone I guess I never got there to eat. I’m sure it’s fine now.
Seems a strange reason to avoid a breakfast/lunch establishment.
The crowd isn't any different now than it was when I moved here 7 years ago.

It remains a traditional "meat + 2" place. Desert to go is usually pretty good to later in the day.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:46 PM

853 posts, read 589,094 times
I never thought the crowd at Watkins is/was on the rough side. Sure, lots of bubbas wearing caps eat there, but they're there for the good food. It completes the comfort food atmosphere.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:31 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Seems a strange reason to avoid a breakfast/lunch establishment.
I’m talking 50-60 years ago. I knew some of the people who hung out there, and it wasn’t my kind of place.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:35 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Johnny's Barbeque in Louisburg next to the Walmart. Fried shrimp, flounder, chicken, eastern style barbeque.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:20 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I don't think I ever had Greek food at a Greek diner, except maybe a side Greek salad with whatever typical American food dish I was having. I wouldn't go to a diner for Greek food either. One key comfort food for me is 24x7 simple and reasonably-priced breakfast done right, which Greek Diners do well.
Slightly off topic, but I grew up in Charlotte, where there was (and is) a huge Greek community. Places like the Landmark Diner, Knife and Fork (gone), The Andersons (gone) and a few others were as you described, with full menues, but also full of great Greek options too.

Pastitsio, for example, might be one of the great comfort foods known to man. So good!

Also, OP, if you're ever in Charlotte, do yourself a favor and visit Gus's Sir Beef. The fried squash is legendary. I know, "Fried Squash". You're going to have to trust me on this one, it's worth the drive. The place is old, in disrepair and maybe a bit scarier than Watkins Grill in the 60's, but is a Charlotte institution.

My neighbors growing up were the owners of Sams Deli and Side Car. I'm pretty it has long-since closed (Sam, the family patriarch died decades ago.)

Ahhh, this thread brings back good memories.

I've already commented on some comfort food options here in the Triangle Area (sometimes referred to as RDU.)

Old 08-05-2021, 01:26 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Slightly off topic, but I grew up in Charlotte, where there was (and is) a huge Greek community. Places like the Landmark Diner, Knife and Fork (gone), The Andersons (gone) and a few others were as you described, with full menues, but also full of great Greek options too.
This reminds me of Sam’s Gourmet in Winston Salem just off 421 at the Thruway Shopping Center. A Creek man Sam Pappas opened it in 60’s, and it was the most beautiful buffet of comfort food I ever saw. We always ate there when we visited Old Salem, or when traveling through on a Boone trip. Senator Sam Ervin loved it too. He had his own table. We were so disappointed when it closed…early 90’s or so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary