Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2022, 06:23 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,354,136 times

Advertisements

Glad you are enjoying the beach time. Agree that Holly Springs and Fuquay do not resemble what you describe. They are pretty much just suburban with kids, no funky college town vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 08:27 AM

333 posts, read 287,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Check out Hillsborough. I think you will really like it.

Agree fully with that, and also Pittsboro, including Fearrington Village, which have their own character and are not cookie cutter. Very much worth exploring

Old 02-23-2022, 09:42 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Agree fully with that, and also Pittsboro, including Fearrington Village, which have their own character and are not cookie cutter. Very much worth exploring
Pittsboro is a good idea, as it has a small walkable downtown.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:55 AM

89 posts, read 58,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Well, I’d say both those areas are “married with kids” and not really walkable. Rapidly growing but They’re kind of far out there. On my first exploratory trip here, I went to Holly Springs and it was kind of a wasted trip for me.
That's good to know, thanks!
Maybe "married with kids" isn't the worst vibe. We're assuming that in order to afford a new place we're going to have to look further (farther?) out.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Check out Hillsborough. I think you will really like it.
Thanks, it's on the list!

Old 02-23-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Have you looked into Athens GA? Definitely a great college town, just won National Championship. The downtown area has restaurants, shops. Georgia would be warmer than NC. Might be worth researching.
Thank you for the suggestion! We have a niece in GA, it would be nice to be closer to her, and it is probably lovely there, but too far from our beach place.... and, honestly, my husband isn't excited about the heat, but he has had over 50 years of his kind of weather, he agrees it's my turn

Old 02-23-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Absolutely positively not what you are looking for.
That sounds pretty certain! Can you share a little more about what it would be missing for us? We're aware we're going to need to prioritize the things that are important to us to stay in a reasonable budget.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
......what do you find intriguing about those towns?
I guess for starters, looking at the housing market, they seem to have more homes that are in the realm of what we'd like in a price point that works for us. They both seem to have a sort of suburban middle class vibe, which would work for us. Checking out the town websites, seems like they have some decent park areas, arts/cultural centers (we're not looking for big-city-calibre, just someplace to go see some local theater or hear some decent live music on occasion), some local downtown shopping/dining areas, and within a reasonable drive to Raleigh if we want more city-like experiences.

Would this be on the right track?

Old 02-23-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Thanks! I just took a quick peek at Fearrington Village- seems like if I come into a boatload of money it would be lovely there! I'll have to see if there's anything reasonable for under $500k. (If I win the lottery maybe that's where I'll ask David Bromstead to take us.....)

Old 02-23-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Glad you are enjoying the beach time.
We were actually SUPPOSED to be splitting this week between our kids in Little Rock and the Fort Worth area, but due to high winds our flight out of Ithaca was cancelled so we're here instead. And it turns out the universe was looking out for us- right now it's 23* in Keller with a winter storm warning, and in Little Rock it's 30*. And here, I'm wearing capris and a t-shirt to sit on the balcony. (Thanks, Universe!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary