Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2022, 06:09 AM

89 posts, read 58,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy_clark View Post
You might also look into Cornelius, NC and Davidson, NC. Near Lake Norman. Home of Davidson College, private liberal arts college.
https://www.visitlakenorman.org/abou...n-of-davidson/
That does look interesting! Not sure I can convince the husband to look that far west, but I'll share it with him. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 07:10 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
OP, also contact the NC licensing board and get familiar with the license transfer. It can take a while.

https://ncswboard.gov

Old 02-08-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
OP, also contact the NC licensing board and get familiar with the license transfer. It can take a while.

https://ncswboard.gov
Thanks- in process, my transcript is ordered and working on the app Thank you!

Old 02-08-2022, 09:46 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap8 View Post
Yeah, we're resigned to having to give up a lot to leave Ithaca, but one of the things we like about NC is that there are a lot of the things we're looking for if we're interested in driving a bit.
If I were you, I'd load up on Short-Stop subs, you won't find anything like that down here.

(Only visited Ithaca once, and I still remember that damn sub. Stellar!!!!)

Old 02-08-2022, 10:54 AM

253 posts, read 235,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I’d also suggest looking into Greenville SC or Charlottesville VA for upscale small town charm. I’m familiar with the Ithaca and Finger Lakes areas, you won’t find anything like that here so you’ll need to figure out what you’re will to give up to live here. Lakes are really man made reservoirs. If you want water, NC beaches are beautiful but then you’re giving up city amenities. NC has it all, just not all in one place. You might also look into Charleston SC.
Charleston's just as expensive, if not more so, than the Triangle, unfortunately (because it is great). I second those that said you might want to look at Winston-Salem (which has improved quite a bit in terms of the downtown in like the last 10 years) or Davidson, though they are a little further from Topsail. I don't know much about the Charlotte area other than Davidson, but you might ask in the Charlotte forum if there is a town on the southeast suburbs of Charlotte that would fit the bill--that would cut down on the drive a bit if you don't have to go through Charlotte, but would still get you the cultural amenities of Charlotte.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If I were you, I'd load up on Short-Stop subs, you won't find anything like that down here.

(Only visited Ithaca once, and I still remember that damn sub. Stellar!!!!)
100%! They're also a huge community support in lots of ways.
The good news is that we'll be back to visit all our friends here, especially in the summer when it's nice out, so can get our fix then

Old 02-08-2022, 04:22 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
This is off your radar, but I live in Greensboro.
The neighborhoods around UNC Greensboro are historic, scenic, convenient to downtown, shopping, and hospitals... and far cheaper than those near Duke or UNC-CH. Another thought within Winston-Salem is Old Salem, which is near the NC School of the Arts.

For a retiree coming from outside the region, the Triad offers much the same QOL as the Triangle but at a substantially lower cost, as you're not competing for housing / road space with people drawn to the Triangle's hot jobs market.

Also in that direction is Elon, NC, a town of ~10,000 surrounding a mid-sized private college, adjacent to the small city of Burlington. (Greensboro is a 30-minute drive, Chapel Hill is 40 minutes.) Median home price there is <$300K, less than half of Chapel Hill's. A downside is that Elon is quite small (the Main Street is one block) and very preppy, and so it's not as diverse as Ithaca (Davidson is similar). Adjoining Burlington is much humbler, as it was a textile mill town.

Plus, the terrain west of the Triangle is hillier and generally more scenic than the flatter terrain to the east.

(On that thought, Roanoke, Staunton, and Harrisonburg VA are pretty good analogues for Ithaca, but much further from NTB than you'd like.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap8 View Post
Oh, it's going into the ocean, probably in our lifetime. We bought it with zero illusions about that, in a life's-too-short epiphany. We don't keep anything there that we can't deal with losing
That's a refreshingly healthy attitude.

Last edited by paytonc; 02-08-2022 at 04:45 PM..

Old 02-08-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
The neighborhoods around UNC Greensboro are historic, scenic, convenient to downtown, shopping, and hospitals... and far cheaper than those near Duke or UNC-CH. Another thought within Winston-Salem is Old Salem, which is near the NC School of the Arts.

For a retiree coming from outside the region, the Triad offers much the same QOL as the Triangle but at a substantially lower cost, as you're not competing for housing / road space with people drawn to the Triangle's hot jobs market.

Also in that direction is Elon, NC, a town of ~10,000 surrounding a mid-sized private college, adjacent to the small city of Burlington. (Greensboro is a 30-minute drive, Chapel Hill is 40 minutes.) Median home price there is <$300K, less than half of Chapel Hill's. A downside is that Elon is quite small (the Main Street is one block) and very preppy, and so it's not as diverse as Ithaca (Davidson is similar). Adjoining Burlington is much humbler, as it was a textile mill town.

Plus, the terrain west of the Triangle is hillier and generally more scenic than the flatter terrain to the east.

(On that thought, Roanoke, Staunton, and Harrisonburg VA are pretty good analogues for Ithaca, but much further from NTB than you'd like.)
Thank you, this is helpful information!
We're sort of ruling out VA because it may be more challenging to live in one state, keep a second home in another state, and work in still another state (we're both keeping our jobs in NY remotely). But I do hear Stauton is lovely!

Old 02-08-2022, 06:40 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Staunton is lovely.

I'm not a fan of Elon or Burlington, but Mebane has a cute teeny downtown. You will see many more Trump flags waving in Alamance County, though. (All of those towns are in Alamance.)

I would look at Greensboro if you find yourself priced out of the Triangle, but I bet you could find something in Durham.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:11 PM

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Staunton is lovely.

I'm not a fan of Elon or Burlington, but Mebane has a cute teeny downtown. You will see many more Trump flags waving in Alamance County, though. (All of those towns are in Alamance.)

I would look at Greensboro if you find yourself priced out of the Triangle, but I bet you could find something in Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary