Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 07:02 PM

89 posts, read 58,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think you should give Winston Salem a look, especially with your budget. It's about 4 hours from Topsail and is home to Wake Forest University and a couple of smaller ones.

If you are looking at Charlottesville, VA, you might want to add Roanoke, VA to your list. Beautiful town in the Shenandoah Valley with lots of natural scenery including the Blue Ridge Mountains Smith Mountain Lake. There are some smaller colleges there like Hollins and Roanoke College.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Your budget will be tough in the triangle. You could look for townhomes in Apex and Holly Springs though, if you could go up to low 300s that would help. To me, Apex has a moderate or slightly left leaning vibe. I can't speak to Holly Springs politics as much.
That's what I'm seeing- looking outside the immediate area of the Triangle would probably be more affordable. We're not opposed to a townhome, and in some ways would prefer it. We'd just need to find one where we could have a yappy little dog and not make the neighbors hate us

Old 02-06-2022, 09:42 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
It’s very pet friendly here, most people have a pet or two.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:16 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap8 View Post
Thank you, that comparison helps. I know we're not going to be able to replicate the beauty of Ithaca, but we'd like to come as close as we can.

If you wanted to push your drive, you might check into Boone or North Wilksboro area as well. But it's pushing the drive to 5 hours+ We have come to like that area as well. I really miss that 3 hour drive putting you in the Adk mountains and all the beauty and fun that offers. NC has more to offer with the ocean/beach and mountain experience, but the trade off is the drive! If NY had the same opportunity for me when I was starting my career I might still be there but alas I had to move for work.

From talking to my folks the winter has been pretty snowy up in Rochester this year, we seems to be getting some of that weather as well, but when it snows here it's usually just a few inches and I get excited to shovel it and go sledding before it melts.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:03 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Budget for a new house is in the $250-300K range, depending on how much our house here sells for.
That is tough price range for the Triangle, but Wilmington has a few single-story townhouses like that which are retirement friendly. They have small yards and public areas to walk dogs. You would be 1 to 1.5 hours from the condo in NTB.
High speed Internet is no problem, and parts of Wilmington have fiber optic service.
Wilmington has a different kind of beauty with live oaks and Spanish moss. I think you would come to appreciate it.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
If you wanted to push your drive, you might check into Boone or North Wilksboro area as well. But it's pushing the drive to 5 hours+ We have come to like that area as well. I really miss that 3 hour drive putting you in the Adk mountains and all the beauty and fun that offers. NC has more to offer with the ocean/beach and mountain experience, but the trade off is the drive! If NY had the same opportunity for me when I was starting my career I might still be there but alas I had to move for work.

From talking to my folks the winter has been pretty snowy up in Rochester this year, we seems to be getting some of that weather as well, but when it snows here it's usually just a few inches and I get excited to shovel it and go sledding before it melts.
It has been mostly frigid here in Ithaca- LOTS of single-digit or below-zero days (actual temp, never mind wind chill). My poor dog struggles to do his business when it's so cold.

Being a reasonably quick hop to the coast is high on the list of importance, but I'll definitely look at that area too- thank you!

Old 02-07-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
That is tough price range for the Triangle, but Wilmington has a few single-story townhouses like that which are retirement friendly. They have small yards and public areas to walk dogs. You would be 1 to 1.5 hours from the condo in NTB.
High speed Internet is no problem, and parts of Wilmington have fiber optic service.
I'll give Wilmington another look- that does sound pretty ideal.
Worried a bit about hurricane risk, which is why I wanted to be a little more inland- my husband would like to live closer, he's not as concerned about that.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
For your budget and especially if you are willing to look at a smaller home or townhome I’d suggest Hillsborough. It’s smaller than Chapel Hill or Ithaca but it is 20 minutes to Chapel Hill or Durham and you’ve got your Lowe’s or Home Depot and Walmart right there. You’d need to drive the 20 minutes to Target if you prefer it.

Hillsborough is a cute historic town along the Eno River. Good restaurants and shops. There’s a natural foods store, Weaver Street Market a small local coop chain. https://visithillsboroughnc.com/

You could probably get a townhome for that budget in Chapel Hill or Carrboro but it will be hard to find a single family home. I think you might swing it in Hillsborough but it will be tough.

@michgc, have you been to Roanoke from here lately? You literally have to go through “Trump Town” aka Boone’s Mill. I have been several times this year and they are still waving those flags so hard there. Roanoke itself isn’t necessarily like that but it is not pleasant to pass.

ETA: Dang! I just did a little looksee on the inter webs and I'm going to amend my recommendation and say you might want to look harder at Durham. So many contingent properties in Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Hillsborough in your price range. Just not a lot to chose from.

Durham is a bit of a rebel and black sheep in the Triangle family. It has a bit of an edge, but it's very cool. That edge and the lower performing schools are what keep some people from buying there but that might give you a little more opportunity. Check it out, but run the neighborhoods by us. https://www.discoverdurham.com and https://durhamnc.gov/35/Things-to-Do-in-Durham might get you started. I really like Durham.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-07-2022 at 08:54 AM..

Old 02-07-2022, 08:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
I'll give Wilmington another look- that does sound pretty ideal.
Worried a bit about hurricane risk, which is why I wanted to be a little more inland- my husband would like to live closer, he's not as concerned about that.
Wilmington could be cool. It's definitely more purple politically than anywhere in the Triangle. Hurricanes are a concern, BUT the good thing about a hurricane is you know it's coming so you can get outta town. You do have to have extra insurance, though.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:17 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
it appears that real estate in Ithaca is significantly less expensive than the main cities of the Triangle

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...32822961_zpid/

this is a $750K-1MM house here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary