Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 04:44 PM

89 posts, read 58,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Ithaca is a uniquely beautiful place with cultural amenities not common to most moderate sized towns. It will be difficult to replicate.
It really is a special place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 04:53 PM

We are hoping for a place with good shopping- Lowes, Target, maybe a Best Buy or Kohls or something. When we first moved to Ithaca we had to drive 45-60 minutes to do any kind of shopping for housewares or clothes, and although I think Ithaca has gotten overbuilt in that regard, it IS nice to be able to drive 10 minutes down the hill to get things done.

College caliber isn't the biggest consideration since our kids are grown and living in other states, but I do like the idea of being close enough to a decent school that I could potentially work at as a counselor- or, maybe an adjunct at some point.

And I am biased- and, don't have a lot to compare to, but Ithaca has the most amazing natural beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
My point about Big Box stores? The OP said she liked that Ithaca has them and the easy parking they provide. Ithaca is the largest municipality in a wide geographic area and it has them, within city limits. Chapel Hill has fought them tirelessly and loaded them off on Durham County, necessitating driving 15-20 minutes minimum to get to any store. The Target only carries goods that would go in a college dorm. No lawn and garden, no hardware, minimal groceries, etc. Have to go to Durham for that, too. Walmart is also not in Chapel Hill. Both of them are located literally on the county line, again because Chapel Hill fought them. Chapel Hillians still shop there anyway, but the town doesn't receive the tax revenue.

It's disrespectful to Ithaca and the greater finger lakes region to compare a small patch of forest to the hikes and parks in that area. There is nothing like Buttermilk Falls, Treman State Park, Cayuga Lake, Watkins Glen, the Botanic Gardens at Cornell, Ithaca Commons, etc. Carolina North Forest is nondescript woods, no elevation changes, nothing of note other than a respite from the concrete. It also could be developed by the University at any time as they have no land left to develop on the main campus. Occoneeche "Mountain" is the only park with some decent views, but it takes maybe 20 minutes to get to the top and has power lines and a former rock quarry marring the vista. A decent hike or park is a full hour away at Uwharrie, but then again you're halfway to the real mountains, might as well keep on driving.

The caliber of the college likely doesn't matter to the OP since they are nearing retirement and probably don't have children in school. I don't think anything similar really exists within 3 hours of Topsail. Charlottesville has much in common and is 5 hours from Topsail. Like Ithaca, it has a beautiful natural setting and is the largest city/town within a large geographic area. It has all the amenities one would need located within its city limits and is not a part of a rapidly growing metro area with a corresponding growth in price. If the distance is manageable, I think it would be a much better fit. UVA is also a better school than UNC, FWIW.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Ithaca is gorge-ous, no doubt, and no where in NC outside of the mountains or the coast can come close to that, but Chapel Hill is the closest city to Ithaca within three hours of Topsail and I would say within NC as a whole.

Ithaca is one of the smartest, most educated places in the country, just like Chapel Hill and Durham, too.
Part of the issue is that we really do want to stay within reasonable driving distance to Topsail- besides wanting easy access to manage as a rental and visit often, it's probably a place we'll have friends and family visit us when they come down, so proximity is a priority. We're driving 12-14 hours to visit now, so 4 or 5 would seem like nothing initially, but over time I think it would be a drag.

Old 02-06-2022, 04:58 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
It's tough because I think it's the cost of living that will get you. Housing costs have absolutely skyrocketed here. Less expensive areas closer to Topsail aren't comparable at all.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:09 PM

361 posts, read 224,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Hey, I don't want to get into an argument codygreen, but I thought your characterization of Chapel Hill was not really accurate to my lived experience here as a 50-something woman, who matches up pretty well with what LisaP said she values.

Ithaca is gorge-ous, no doubt, and no where in NC outside of the mountains or the coast can come close to that, but Chapel Hill is the closest city to Ithaca within three hours of Topsail and I would say within NC as a whole.

Ithaca is one of the smartest, most educated places in the country, just like Chapel Hill and Durham, too.
Fair enough. I don't seek an argument but I just felt that the OP might have received a bit of a disservice since Chapel Hill is the first place that comes to mind when someone thinks of a liberal town in North Carolina. At the end of the day. I don't think the towns have all that much in in common other than having a university and a liberal mindset.

I'm a conservative but I love Ithaca. It's such a unique place and even though I don't fit in politically, I couldn't care less. The natural beauty is unique and the hikes are challenging with rewarding vistas. I almost moved there, but the cost of living is quite high with the school taxes.

I know quite a few people from the Ithaca area. All of them have moved back because they really missed the natural beauty of the area in and it offered similar amenities. The Shakori Hills grassroots festival is put on by the same folks who run the Finger Lakes Grassroots festival so there is a good bit of crossover between the regions.

Greensboro on the other hand might be a better fit. Winston-Salem could be even better. There are some decent parks fairly close to Winston such as pilot mountain and hanging Rock. It still is slightly liberal leaning and isn't as expensive as the triangle. For someone who is retiring soon, this would be important to consider.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:11 PM

Wow, I am so impressed with how helpful people are in this forum! You've been giving us a lot to consider and explore more- and, some information about what to avoid.

The reality is, no place is like Ithaca. We have been blessed to live here, raise our kids here, build our careers here, and make life-long friends. We'll most definitely miss it here.

We have considered Virginia (someone mentioned Staunton and we've actually considerd that, too). There's just something about NC that appeals to us. I actually did consider the Chapel Hill area about 20 years ago when I got my MSW but we decided to stay in NY. Now, though, it's time to check out that dream.

Appreciate all the input!

Old 02-06-2022, 05:16 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
It's a little further than you want from Topsail, but Charlottesville, Va seems like it could be a good fit. I don't think it is quite as dramatic as Ithaca with the lake and gorges, but it's a midsized, walkable, elite collegetown close to the mountains. I think it's more comparable to Ithaca than Chapel Hill is.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:24 PM

Thank you- I'll give it a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
It's a little further than you want from Topsail, but Charlottesville, Va seems like it could be a good fit. I don't think it is quite as dramatic as Ithaca with the lake and gorges, but it's a midsized, walkable, elite collegetown close to the mountains. I think it's more comparable to Ithaca than Chapel Hill is.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:48 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
I think you should give Winston Salem a look, especially with your budget. It's about 4 hours from Topsail and is home to Wake Forest University and a couple of smaller ones.

If you are looking at Charlottesville, VA, you might want to add Roanoke, VA to your list. Beautiful town in the Shenandoah Valley with lots of natural scenery including the Blue Ridge Mountains Smith Mountain Lake. There are some smaller colleges there like Hollins and Roanoke College.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:15 PM

781 posts, read 743,769 times
Your budget will be tough in the triangle. You could look for townhomes in Apex and Holly Springs though, if you could go up to low 300s that would help. To me, Apex has a moderate or slightly left leaning vibe. I can't speak to Holly Springs politics as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary