Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 10:20 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it appears that real estate in Ithaca is significantly less expensive than the main cities of the Triangle

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...32822961_zpid/

this is a $750K-1MM house here
Indeed the days of "it's so much more affordable down there" with relation to most of the northeast (exceptions being NYC and Boston metro areas)....are behind us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 10:46 AM

89 posts, read 58,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
ETA: Dang! I just did a little looksee on the inter webs and I'm going to amend my recommendation and say you might want to look harder at Durham. So many contingent properties in Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Hillsborough in your price range. Just not a lot to chose from.

Durham is a bit of a rebel and black sheep in the Triangle family. It has a bit of an edge, but it's very cool. That edge and the lower performing schools are what keep some people from buying there but that might give you a little more opportunity. Check it out, but run the neighborhoods by us. https://www.discoverdurham.com and https://durhamnc.gov/35/Things-to-Do-in-Durham might get you started. I really like Durham.
I so appreciate the time you, and others, are taking to be helpful! I'm eager to get down there and start scoping places out. We're planning a week in April and I'll be using the info here to plan an itinerary.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Indeed the days of "it's so much more affordable down there" with relation to most of the northeast (exceptions being NYC and Boston metro areas)....are behind us.
Yes, that's definitely how it's looking. Things have been changing a lot. The one thing that's still a key element is the lower taxes. I love NY and I don't begrudge paying taxes when they go to things that I think are important, and I have to say Ithaca has a ton of resources to help vulnerable populations so I'm okay with spending that money. But, having said that, my monthly escrow payment is currently about a year's worth of property taxes at some places we've looked. And with wanting to ease into retirement that's a huge consideration.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:04 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap8 View Post
I'll give Wilmington another look- that does sound pretty ideal.
Worried a bit about hurricane risk, which is why I wanted to be a little more inland- my husband would like to live closer, he's not as concerned about that.
Regarding Wilmington, just stay away from creeks and rivers and flood zones. Also check for large vulnerable trees which could be blown down.

The areas more than 30 minutes inland from the coast are definitely rural and red state country. You would not want to live in a place like Clinton or Wallace.

You appear to be priced out of the Trangle, except for Durham and Orange County. Good luck with you future visit

Old 02-07-2022, 11:05 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap8 View Post
I'll give Wilmington another look- that does sound pretty ideal.
Worried a bit about hurricane risk, which is why I wanted to be a little more inland- my husband would like to live closer, he's not as concerned about that.
Regarding Wilmington, just stay away from creeks and rivers and flood zones. Also check for large vulnerable trees which could be blown down.

The areas more than 30 minutes inland from the coast are definitely rural and red state country. You would not want to live in a place like Clinton or Wallace although they are cheaper.

You appear to be priced out of the Triangle, except for Durham and Orange County. Good luck with you future visit

Old 02-07-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

The areas more than 30 minutes inland from the coast are definitely rural and red state country. You would not want to live in a place like Clinton or Wallace although they are cheaper.

You appear to be priced out of the Triangle, except for Durham and Orange County. Good luck with you future visit
Thank you!

Old 02-07-2022, 01:19 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I’d also suggest looking into Greenville SC or Charlottesville VA for upscale small town charm. I’m familiar with the Ithaca and Finger Lakes areas, you won’t find anything like that here so you’ll need to figure out what you’re will to give up to live here. Lakes are really man made reservoirs. If you want water, NC beaches are beautiful but then you’re giving up city amenities. NC has it all, just not all in one place. You might also look into Charleston SC.

Last edited by loveautumn; 02-07-2022 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Add comment

Old 02-07-2022, 02:22 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I think Greenville, SC is super conservative, though, at least that's my understanding from the people I know who live there. It seemed that the OP wasn't looking for that.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:39 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I think Greenville, SC is super conservative, though, at least that's my understanding from the people I know who live there. It seemed that the OP wasn't looking for that.
Yes, for the most part. If you are not, you can find your peeps, but on the whole that is the flavor of the area. The downtown is a shining gem, and exciting projects are in the works. It is a great place to live if you like to hike, as mountains and waterfalls are 1-1.5 hours away. Outside of downtown many of the roads are sad and unattractive, and there is a lot of litter. There is also a lack of museums. You can drive to Columbia for a nice natural history museum, art museum, and a fantastic zoo, but nothing much in town.

If I were single and/or had a lot of money, I think I could be very happy living downtown, but that is not the OP's situation.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Yes, for the most part. If you are not, you can find your peeps, but on the whole that is the flavor of the area. The downtown is a shining gem, and exciting projects are in the works. It is a great place to live if you like to hike, as mountains and waterfalls are 1-1.5 hours away. Outside of downtown many of the roads are sad and unattractive, and there is a lot of litter. There is also a lack of museums. You can drive to Columbia for a nice natural history museum, art museum, and a fantastic zoo, but nothing much in town.

If I were single and/or had a lot of money, I think I could be very happy living downtown, but that is not the OP's situation.
Thanks- we are looking for something a little different than what you describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary