Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2022, 09:32 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
I figured someone would bring this up but still decided not to include it in my original post. Yes, there is the Chevy Bolt and the Nissan Leaf which are not super expensive, but that's 2 cars. There aren't any other cheap ones and these 2 cars leave much to be desired for folks with other needs. Even look at the Hyundai Ioniq 5 - still not cheap.

I understand EVs have way less maintenance, that's why I said that in my original post.

But you saying buying an ICE car currently is going backwards is your upper middle class fantasy land. It's still too early and having 2 cars on the market is not enough. Having instant torque/fun to drive due to power is not enough for everyone to just be on board with everything electric and constantly talk about them.

Like MikeJaquish said, some people do want to go electric but it's not there for them yet. And don't see it happening as quick as the current EV fans make it out to be.

I sat in a Rivian on Monday. They are tiny inside. Pretty, but tiny.
The owner loves it.
I'm 6'5'. He's about 5'10".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 10:12 AM

360 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have a 1998 F-150 I bought new.
Also, a 2016 Edge I bought new.

A new truck would free up a spot as it would replace both of them. And honestly, it would be a "Gentleman's Truck." I am not into towing, and hope to limit loads to a run to the dump, or fishing gear. But, it would be hard to not have that pickup bed available whenever the urge strikes.
The range of the Lightning, even unloaded, is not inspiring. I think those ranges are perfect for local delivery uses.

I could sleep in the bed of the old one, or a new one, but my Co-Pilot, "She Who Must Be Obeyed," has a dim view of those opportunities.
For the uses you have described, the Maverick is the obvious choice.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
I have been thinking about that possibility. Will have to try one on for size.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:07 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
I have been thinking about that possibility. Will have to try one on for size.
I love the idea of the Maverick, they are just very hard to find right now and would either need to be ordered or pay a huge ADM.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I love the idea of the Maverick, they are just very hard to find right now and would either need to be ordered or pay a huge ADM.
So I looked on www.Ford.com and came up with more info than I had.

There are a few around. https://shop.ford.com/inventory/mave...Order=Distance

I dunno.
Have to go EcoBoost to get 4 wheel drive.
No Sync 4. No 12" screen.
Only Super Crew and I prefer Super Cab. I want the 6.5' bed and don't care about a full back seat.

The price is nice, compared to dressed up F150 Lariat Super Cab Hybrid 4WD.

Old 08-17-2022, 02:29 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
So I looked on www.Ford.com and came up with more info than I had.

There are a few around. https://shop.ford.com/inventory/mave...Order=Distance

I dunno.
Have to go EcoBoost to get 4 wheel drive.
No Sync 4. No 12" screen.
Only Super Crew and I prefer Super Cab. I want the 6.5' bed and don't care about a full back seat.

The price is nice, compared to dressed up F150 Lariat Super Cab Hybrid 4WD.
I heard a rumor they were going to start offering the hybrid powerplant on the AWD model, but don't think that has come to fruition yet. When I started looking a few months ago, all the hybrid ones showing in dealer websites were custom orders (green stickers as opposed to blue ones).

The Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad cab has good value now, especially if you can wait for an order. 12-16% off MSRP before incentives on Ram 1500 (any trim) depending which group you order through. In the Southeast, Ram is also throwing lots of rebates at the quad cab this month (and last).

Old 08-17-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I heard a rumor they were going to start offering the hybrid powerplant on the AWD model, but don't think that has come to fruition yet. When I started looking a few months ago, all the hybrid ones showing in dealer websites were custom orders (green stickers as opposed to blue ones).

The Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad cab has good value now, especially if you can wait for an order. 12-16% off MSRP before incentives on Ram 1500 (any trim) depending which group you order through. In the Southeast, Ram is also throwing lots of rebates at the quad cab this month (and last).
Hmmm... We'll see.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:13 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Absolutely. I daily drive 50 miles each day in my 24 year old Honda with over 300,000 miles.

If it were an EV, it would long ago have been scrapped because the repair costs would have been significantly more than the value of the vehicle. As it currently stands, I have a car that is extremely reliable with working A/C, windows, bluetooth, no oil burning, etc. I am completely committed to the "Reuse" portion of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. It is good for the environment to keep something out of the junkyard that could have already been there, taking up space, and not contributing to the demand for new vehicles. The problem for those in the market for an EV/Hybrid is, my car doesn't have the cultural connotation of "saving the environment, doing my part".
This is completely false. Lots of EVs have gone 200-300k miles with little to no major issues and under 10% battery degradation. If the battery is designed and engineered well, with active cooling there is no issue. (Don’t buy an older Nissan Leaf though as they did not do a good job)

Old 08-17-2022, 04:14 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
I sat in a Rivian on Monday. They are tiny inside. Pretty, but tiny.
The owner loves it.
I'm 6'5'. He's about 5'10".
You didn’t try to lay down in the tunnel did you?

Old 08-17-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
You didn’t try to lay down in the tunnel did you?

I bet he would have let me try...
They would probably still be trying to extricate me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary