Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2022, 06:31 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times

Advertisements

The technology today is not the ultimate answer 5 or 10 years from now. Keep an eye on solid-state batteries as an example of promising changes. Ability to charge faster and go longer distances is not very far off.

The model A was not the final product. Neither is this generation of electric vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 06:32 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
It makes zero sense to have a gas powered car for road trips and an expensive electric car for going to work. One car will do both and one will not. That's not going to be very popular.

Just because you aren't seeing any long lines doesn't mean its not happening or not GOING to happen. As of right now 30k people in this state have electric cars. That's 30k people out of 10.4 million. They are pushing for 60% of the population to drive EV by 2030 so we're talking a little over 6 MILLION EVs on the road. How long does it take to charge an EV? 15-20 min on a super fast charger? I can fuel up my car in about 3-5 min. so 3-4 times longer wait times. I guess if you had 4x as many chargers as fuel pumps that could be a solution.

What about the power grid? How much electricity is consumed charging millions of cars every day? I get emails now from Duke energy wanting me to conserve energy during peak times by turning my a/c off or up during the day.

Maybe someone here knows how much power is currently being consumed in this area and can do the math on it. Sharron Harris Nuclear plant has a capacity of 928 megawatts. Not sure how close it currently is to that, but the emails mean something.
Oh, my Bolt, which cost like $35k and costs about 3 cents a mile to drive is so expensive!

And since most people will charge at home, overnight, the additional load during peak times is minimal and in some cases helps keep the base load plants running at a predictable, constant level.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:06 PM

339 posts, read 318,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
A story that's been repeated hundreds of times in North Carolina. The flip side is that residents will be getting more far more for their property than they ever imagined.
For real?

I would LOVE to hear from someone here to post about how the compensation and entire process went for them.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:22 PM

361 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
The technology today is not the ultimate answer 5 or 10 years from now. Keep an eye on solid-state batteries as an example of promising changes. Ability to charge faster and go longer distances is not very far off.

The model A was not the final product. Neither is this generation of electric vehicles.
Solid state batteries have a much shorter life span. They will not be the solution to the current problems.

I will say that you are correct, today's technology is not the ultimate answer. Batteries are inherently inefficient and nothing will be better than on-board power generation.

CNG vehicles are probably the best solution for minimizing environmental impact while retaining long term reliability and minimizing cost. We have ample supply to last far into the future and it produces far less pollution than oil or lithium strip mining. But it's a fossil fuel so for a lot of people, practicality has been tossed out the window. The manufacturers are going to continue to make battery powered vehicles as long as the government subsidizes them. Imagine what else could have been created with all of that subsidy....

Old 08-24-2022, 08:28 PM

361 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Oh, my Bolt, which cost like $35k and costs about 3 cents a mile to drive is so expensive!

And since most people will charge at home, overnight, the additional load during peak times is minimal and in some cases helps keep the base load plants running at a predictable, constant level.
$35,000 for a cheap quality economy car from Chevrolet is a TERRIBLE deal. It's a glorified grocery getter. I'd rather have a Honda Fit.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:41 PM

563 posts, read 955,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Imagine what else could have been created with all of that subsidy....
The US provides about $20 billion dollars every year in subsidies to the fossil fuel industry. Imagine the good that actually could have been done with that amount of money annually.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:44 PM

563 posts, read 955,528 times
Quote:
$35,000 for a cheap quality economy car from Chevrolet is a TERRIBLE deal. It's a glorified grocery getter. I'd rather have a Honda Fit.
New Honda Fits are no longer available in the US since 2021.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:53 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post

Quote:
Lemmee see....
One poster OWNS and DRIVES the car. One does not.
The owner is happy. The poster who doesn't own one is not.

Hmmmmm....

Old 08-25-2022, 05:07 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
To the bolded, again displaying a very closed mind. Why does that make zero sense? My wife likes her SUV, and like you, is very anti-EV. She'll always have a ICE as long as she can. Her choice.

So why does it make zero sense for me to have an EV, and to drive her car on the occasion I have a solo road trip. This is a COMMON strategy, has been discussed in this thread, and on the many threads on the P&OC forum. Most multi-driver families have more than one car. How does not NOT MAKE SENSE to be strategic in the cars you buy?

I didn't realize we are now talking about families. Of course 2 people have 2 cars. Lots of times one is a beater. For ONE person, it makes no sense to buy a car that you can't take on a road trip. Can you? Yes. Is it the best option? NO

Old 08-25-2022, 07:52 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen
Lemmee see....
One poster OWNS and DRIVES the car. One does not.
The owner is happy. The poster who doesn't own one is not.

Hmmmmm....

Make that TWO posters who own and drive the car. My Bolt is my fave car ever. I've had a bunch of different cars over the decades, too, but my Bolt is definitely my #1.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-25-2022 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary