Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 01:52 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times

Advertisements

My mom recently changed her tags to Dare County. She was surprised at how much cheaper it was compared to Wake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 03:39 PM

566 posts, read 957,143 times
There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this post from the anti-electric vehicle folks.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:56 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,729,526 times
I'm in it for the possibility of more CSX trains, nothing more.
The chance they should come through Sanford to get to the A Line
is even better! Time will tell?

Old 08-18-2022, 08:04 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcrasher View Post
Cash for Clunkers was a huge success. It drastically raised the average MPG of American cars. Got a lot of highly polluting cars off the road. It helped save the US auto industry, and most of the junked cars were recycled.
The qualification for getting the cash for clunkers rebate was the vehicle you bought had to get only 4 mpg better than the one you were junking. So you go from a 16mpg car to a 20mpg car - not a huge improvement. Also, the vehicle you traded in already had a trade-in value, but by using cash for clunkers you sacrificed the trade-in value to take the rebate (so if your clunker was worth $3k trade in or even more private party, you forfeited that in exchange for the rebate ($3500 for 4mpg better, $4500 for 10 mpg better) - in essence was only a $500 or $1500 gain.

The absolute worst part of the whole program is that it took running vehicles (which got lower gas mileage) and removed them from service - by definition the vehicle was put in a non-running condition by melting plastic in the engine. These were vehicles which lower income people/people looking for their first vehicle would gravitate to. Now the price of those types of vehicles increased unnecessarily. The knock on effect is all those vehicles whose engines were destroyed are no longer available for engine parts for people who needed replacements.

All it did was stimulate new car purchases (pulled some ahead) at the same time the federal government took an ownership stake in GM to save them from bankruptcy.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:14 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this post from the anti-electric vehicle folks.
Nah, they just all did their own research and totally coincidentally came to the same conclusions backed by zero facts but are exactly what oil company astroturf groups say.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:21 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Whether its happening or not doesn't matter. There has never been conclusive evidence that anthropogenic influences are what is driving climate change. Moreover, there's no evidence that it will continue unabated into the future because of the myriad of factors that are far greater than carbon emissions, such as solar activity and atmospheric cloud cover.

I remember when Peak Oil theory was treated as gospel. Then we discovered new reserves that we never knew existed and new extraction techniques like fracking, which has pushed the "peak oil date" far into the future.

There's also zero evidence that EVs are better for the environment when accounting for: the slave child labor used to produce their batteries, the non-existent environmental regulations in the countries from which the are sourced, the massive amount of fossil fuels needed to extract the materials, the pollution produced from their tires (look it up), the disposal of the batteries, the obsolescence of the vehicle once the battery has depleted vs. an ICE vehicle, etc, etc....

Hybrid vehicles make some sense, but only when their batteries are integrated with an internal combustion engine in the way Honda did with their Integrated Motor Assist. Unfortunately that design has lost out over time because it isn't as efficient as the Toyota-style Hybrid Synergy Drive, but at least when the battery is depleted on the IMA Hybrid, the vehicle is still operational and doesn't have to be hauled off prematurely to the scrap yard.

Electric vehicles are very niche, but they have filled a role with a certain percentage of the population that can afford to bloviate over how they're saving the planet. At the moment, if you want to truly reduce emissions and help the planet, your best bet is to get an e-bike, certain hybrids, or a small econobox ICE vehicle.
I'm not wanting to get into a huge debate about all this, but I will tell you that the labor conditions for oil roughnecks in the middle east is just as bad. I've been to the oilfields and NOC (National Oil Company) HQ's in UAE, Saudi, Qatar and Kuwait, and the cities that serve them. The majority of the people doing the "dirty work" are endentured workers from the Asian Subcontinent (Pakistan, Mianmar, etc.). They are treated horribly. One doesn't make the other "OK", but don't be fooled that it doesn't happen in just about ANY industry, in certain parts of the world.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:37 AM

4,558 posts, read 3,761,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post

Sure, some misinformation here but many of us are also not getting caught up into the EV craze with your expensive vehicles, annoying during long road trips and expensive insurance/repairs (when things DO go wrong) and this one is not your fault, but more conservative lawmakers starting new EV-only taxes.

I love technology and love EVs are picking up, but no need to look down on people who buy new ICE vehicles. That's fueling further unnecessary anti-EV sentiment, especially in rural and semi-rural areas of NC.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:53 AM

342 posts, read 297,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Nah, they just all did their own research and totally coincidentally came to the same conclusions backed by zero facts but are exactly what oil company astroturf groups say.

Have at it. Doesn't take an oil company article to figure this one out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4TaXAMAchQ&t=46s

Old 08-19-2022, 10:24 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,719,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
This is completely false. Lots of EVs have gone 200-300k miles with little to no major issues and under 10% battery degradation. If the battery is designed and engineered well, with active cooling there is no issue.
I can't dispute the "lots" assertion. I will say that in my case, the battery in my 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid had lost most of its storage capacity by 140K miles. Of course, this was a battery designed and manufactured over 10 years ago. But there are many such anecdotes flying around.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:51 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I can't dispute the "lots" assertion. I will say that in my case, the battery in my 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid had lost most of its storage capacity by 140K miles. Of course, this was a battery designed and manufactured over 10 years ago. But there are many such anecdotes flying around.
The good news is that 140k miles is probably longer than most people got out of their Theta II engines in the Sonatas of that generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary