Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2022, 01:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
How does that work if I'm trying to drive from here to key west?
Haven't gone as far as the Keys, but we've driven our Bolt EV from Chapel Hill to Gainesville, without any issues. Happy to answer any questions. The charging infrastructure is pretty good along 95.

We road trip in our Bolt quite a bit. I'd love to do a big one across the country, but just don't have the block of time for that right now. We take it to the beach and mountains several times a year. Been to the Outer Banks, Atlanta, Gainesville, Richmond. Almost to DC, but had a last minute cancellation on that trip.

Sorry I haven't checked this thread in awhile. I'll try to check it more frequently if anybody has a question.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-22-2022 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
All they have to do to enjoy that windfall is be forced to sell land that has been in the family for generations.
My siblings and I have land in another county (not my county of residence) that has been in our family for generations. My sister is looking to sell hers because she can't see her kids (one is in California, one now in Boston) ever wanting it. They didn't grow up there. That land wasn't even where my dad grew up, but it was in the same county. It's not where my sister's kids went to visit the grandparents. Their grandparents (my parents) never lived together in that county. There's no old homeplace left or anything. It's just timber land. Our kids are really not going to want that land. I will probably sell mine at some point too just to make things easier for my kids when I die. I get lowball offers for it all the time in the mail. If the state wanted to take it from me and was going to pay me I'd be fine with that. In fact I'd love to donate it to the state for a park or something if it was worth that, but my cousins have the land around it so that's probably not going to happen.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-22-2022 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-22-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I am 6'5" and about 1/8 ton.
And, I want some comfort and road visibility.
I am just catching up with this thread.

I have known a couple of UNC basketball players who are much taller than you who drove small cars. One drove a VW Golf I believe and one had a Ford Taurus or something like that. It was pretty amusing to see them unfold themselves out of the cars. Our kids used to do activities together, but they're all grown now and we're not driving them to the same places for me to see their cars, but these guys are really tall (centers and forwards). My brother is 6'2" and most of it is legs and he prefers a sporty car. He drove a Toyota Celica for years because he could put the seat way back.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-22-2022 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 06:03 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I am just catching up with this thread.

I have known a couple of UNC basketball players who are much taller than you who drove small cars. One drove a VW Golf I believe and one had a Ford Taurus or something like that. It was pretty amusing to see them unfold themselves out of the cars. Our kids used to do activities together, but they're all grown now and we're not driving them to the same places for me to see their cars, but these guys are really tall (centers and forwards). My brother is 6'2" and most of it is legs and he prefers a sporty car. He drove a Toyota Celica for years because he could put the seat way back.
Years ago, I drove a few VW Beetles. The "real" Beetles."
Drove a 1972 Super Beetle convertible with >100,000 miles on it to the coast of Maine, and into the White Mountains. Smart enough not to try Mount Washington.

Had a Dodge Colt.

The basketball players may find in time that the mature adult frame may become less adaptive to, and less likely to embrace, small low vehicles, particularly on a road trip.
I no longer enjoy prying myself out of a car, or getting my butt up from 18" off the ground.
We drove my wife's CMax to NW Pa. Fueled by ibuprofen...

My '98 F-150 is 2WD, and I slide in and out without climbing up or down.
The new truck is 4WD, and I will have to lift myself a bit.
My 4'11" wife may have to be lifted... She demanded running boards and asked if there was a pillar handle.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:07 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
How does that work if I'm trying to drive from here to key west?
It seems like most people who have to drive 1000 miles regularly get the car they need (not an EV for that use-case), or the EV is their second car with an ICE being first for road trips.

Some who only have an EV may rent for the occasional road trip. (I know a few people who do this with their ICE too, either because their car is not reliable, or they don't want to put the miles on it.)

I guess for the few people that didn't think it out, they have a LONG trip to Florida, but I stand by my observation, I'm not seeing them wait in line, so they are so rare that there are still no lines.

Seems like you are just looking for some 'facts' to support your closed view on this topic. Look at it with an open mind. Maybe you can tell US how many long-lines you've seen at the charging stations? Either here in Raleigh, or along the interstate?

Old 08-23-2022, 06:12 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I mean, Costco gas stations often have long lines, sometimes 10 cars deep. Does that mean all people always wait 30 minutes in line to get gas?

Definitely more charging infrastructure needs to be built. And it will. I imagine driving a gas car long distance in the early days required a bit of planning also.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:44 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Absolutism, black and white, all in or all out thinking, is the epitome of "The Perfect Being The Enemy Of The Good."

EVs, "All or none, by Gawd," is a ridiculous foundation for any attempt at intelligent discussion.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Years ago, I drove a few VW Beetles. The "real" Beetles."
Drove a 1972 Super Beetle convertible with >100,000 miles on it to the coast of Maine, and into the White Mountains. Smart enough not to try Mount Washington.

Had a Dodge Colt.

The basketball players may find in time that the mature adult frame may become less adaptive to, and less likely to embrace, small low vehicles, particularly on a road trip.
I no longer enjoy prying myself out of a car, or getting my butt up from 18" off the ground.
We drove my wife's CMax to NW Pa. Fueled by ibuprofen...
I had a Dodge Colt, too! Our kids have C-maxes. BTW, the basketball players are in their late 50s/60s. Different strokes for different folks, but plenty of tall people drive smaller cars is all. You do you! Sorry the Lightning wasn't ready for you.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-23-2022 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-23-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
It seems like most people who have to drive 1000 miles regularly get the car they need (not an EV for that use-case), or the EV is their second car with an ICE being first for road trips.

Some who only have an EV may rent for the occasional road trip. (I know a few people who do this with their ICE too, either because their car is not reliable, or they don't want to put the miles on it.)

I guess for the few people that didn't think it out, they have a LONG trip to Florida, but I stand by my observation, I'm not seeing them wait in line, so they are so rare that there are still no lines.

Seems like you are just looking for some 'facts' to support your closed view on this topic. Look at it with an open mind. Maybe you can tell US how many long-lines you've seen at the charging stations? Either here in Raleigh, or along the interstate?
I've driven an EV for 7 years. I am struggling to remember when I saw a line for charging. I was in Asheville two weeks ago and did see a very full charging station, but there was still room for me.

As I mentioned we drove to Florida in the EV (actually my spouse and our oldest). The charging infrastructure is pretty robust along I-95. If anyone has any specific questions I'm happy to try to field them.

I have driven the Bolt to Atlanta. We took the Leaf to Ocracoke 7 years ago (that was a challenge).

I love driving the Bolt. And I'm happy to answer any serious questions. They are great little cars, but the technology has developed so fast that newer cars like the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV 6 charge much faster in about 15 minutes, which is enough time to go inside and pee and get a snack. And Teslas, of course, have fast charging and their own network, but I don't know the particulars there — we're not Tesla folks.

We have been so satisfied with our EV experiences that I don't see us ever buying another car that can't plug in. We have the Bolt and recently bought 3 PHEVs because our young adult kids needed cars and we needed a second car (our old one gave out). The most we paid for those was $12K for a Ford C-Max energi (21 miles on EV alone) and it was overpriced, but that's what the used car market is like right now. Got the other two for $6K (another C-Max and a Volt with 38 mile EV range), so bargains are out there if you're patient and keep looking. Thought seriously about getting another Bolt for the 18 yr old, but couldn't justify the current inflated prices (I think they will drop a lot in the next year or two). Also thought about getting ourselves the Kia EV 6 or the Ioniq 5, but we've got to pay for college so went with a Chevy Volt instead which is a great around town car and we can use the gas engine in a pinch if we have to be two different places at once that are further away. Ordinarily we use the Bolt for our road trips, but have used the Volt occasionally as needed.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-23-2022 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-23-2022, 02:22 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Meanwhile, the number of gas stations continue to increase - a new BP gas in the HT parking lot on Maynard and High House, new Eagles opened up on Highway 55, and new 7-11 with gas pumps on Green Level Church Rd. Those are just the ones I know from people talking on nextdoor.

You can charge EVs at home but what about all of the people who don't live in houses or townhouses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary