Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2022, 06:44 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
Like I said, but you somehow failed to read...the Vinfast jobs will mostly go to those out of state
The average salary for these VinFast jobs is pretty low (51K) so I'm not sure how many people will be relocating here to work there for that kind of salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 10:33 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Ok so even new compared to new, basically everything you save in gas goes back into buying another battery at the end of 8 years. You could trade it in but I image that would be like trading in a vehicle that needs a new engine. Taking a huge hit either way and back to where you would have been just buying gas.

Meanwhile the Honda just keeps chugging along and will be worth more at the end of that EV battery cycle

The entire draw to EV is not having to buy gas (because they sure aren't green). It's like buying a 5500 s.f mansion with a bowling ally because bowling is too expensive.

It makes no sense. Hybird makes much more sense than full on electric
You cherry pick one point, but I'll respond.

1. 8 years is just the warrantee, evidence shows most last longer, but we know you're covered for 8 years,
2. At the end of 8 years, if you spend $5k on another battery and get another 8 years out of it, you'll save another 8K in gas again, you'll avoid all the maintenance costs of an ICE, you won't have to replace the timing belt, you hedge the volatile cost of gas, and etc.

Again, it just seems like you WANT to be angry about it.

They are not for everyone, but they certainly serve a pretty large swath of the potential auto market. (I would not own one as an ONLY vehicle, but I would absolutely consider one for my next purchase. we are currently a 3-car family and will always be minimum of 2-cars.)

Old 08-26-2022, 10:38 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
It gets really tiresome correcting people who are so passionately misinformed. Electric vehicles were invented before the internal combustion engine and we know how that ended. It wasn't until the government came along and propped up all of these companies that anyone gave them a second thought.

Batteries weren't invented yesterday. They've been around for hundreds of years and their growth potential is limited.

I'm never going to buy one because I don't like the way they drive. I hate the regenerative braking and non-existent road feel.
That is intentional misinformation. You KNOW that Electrical cars may have been around for 100 years, but alternative energy has only been a focus for the past decade or so.

THe goverment also 'came along and propped" up the Oil and Gas industry, they bailed out the Auto industry too. Battery technology has come a LONG way in the past decade. Look at the performance of your mobile phone as an example. As much as the hard right would like to think otherwise on so many issues, we are not in the world we had 100 years ago, so quit trying to force others to live their lives like we are.

And out of curiosity: How many EV's have you driven. Can you list the make and model? I wonder if you drove one a hundred years ago, and are formulating your opinion on that? When I read car reviews, they get pretty good ratings from places like Edmunds, Car and driver, etc. I've never driven one, but I once reluctantly drove an electric go-kart. SO MUCH MORE fun than ICE go karts. Faster, quiety, better excelleration, lower center of gravity. IF that is indicative of the cars, I'm in. (I'd love to drive one and know for myself.)

Old 08-26-2022, 11:12 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Show all the evidence of people needing batteries after 8 years. There is none, because except for the original Nissan Leaf, there is no massive degradation of batteries that is imagined by the misinformation campaign. And, plenty of gas cars have blown out engines or other large problems after 8-10 years.

Old 08-26-2022, 11:58 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,705,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The average salary for these VinFast jobs is pretty low (51K) so I'm not sure how many people will be relocating here to work there for that kind of salary.
You'll see relocations for some top management and engineering positions, et.., but for the vast majority of the headcount... yeah people aren't moving across the country to make $38,000 driving a forklift or sorting parts at a car plant. Even most of the $48,000/yr line positions won't pull people outside the region. The median salary will likely come in a little below $51k like other car plants, as the top 10% of the plant salaries can pull an average up.

That's why the community college partnerships are so important to prepare a pipeline of local workers with manufacturing plant skills. The BMW plant in Spartanburg is a good example of the type of program to create... BMW partners with local high schools offering $12 an hour internships at 15 hours per week to start developing the talent, support them getting an Associate Degree in Automotive Technology, and then transition them to the plant full time at 40 hours per week. For high school students that are not destined for an undergraduate program immediately after high school, it is an appealing way to earn income in high school and have a decent job after high school for a job that doesn't require a four-year degree.

Old 08-26-2022, 02:24 PM

873 posts, read 1,018,538 times
Quote:
Like I said, but you somehow failed to read...the Vinfast jobs will mostly go to those out of state
People who move to the area become residents and ... oh, why am I even arguing with you? You didn't address the other points I made. And it's obvious you have a "EVs are bad/no one uses them because I don't/people who do are all outsiders who come to destroy the state" mentality. I'm over discussing this issue with you.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:44 AM

342 posts, read 297,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Show all the evidence of people needing batteries after 8 years. There is none, because except for the original Nissan Leaf, there is no massive degradation of batteries that is imagined by the misinformation campaign. And, plenty of gas cars have blown out engines or other large problems after 8-10 years.

Most cars are reliable these days to 200k miles and many are reliable up to 250k. How many miles are EVs reliable for?

Old 08-29-2022, 10:47 AM

342 posts, read 297,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
outsiders who come to destroy the state".

Agreed

Old 08-29-2022, 12:26 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Most cars are reliable these days to 200k miles and many are reliable up to 250k. How many miles are EVs reliable for?
That many and more. There are far fewer things to go wrong.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:36 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,705,101 times
Quote:
80% of EV sales are leased.... so I think people are really only thinking about 3 years down the road and then they'll switch to the newest model and enter into another lease. When you think of Tesla's market share in the EV market it makes sense.... the same crowd that upgrades to the latest iPhone every 12 months is a similar consumer group to those getting EVs. They'll want the latest / greatest / newest. Cars are a disposable commodity you upgrade as quickly as possible to stay trendy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary