Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2022, 03:37 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
Can't make this up
The Gas Car Sales ban is for 2035. In 13 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 06:06 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I added the word "not" above, as it wasn't clear if you were saying people were to do laundry, etc during those hours. The quote from the link is below.

"During a Flex Alert, consumers are urged to reduce energy use from 4-9 p.m. when the system is most stressed because demand for electricity remains high and there is less solar energy available," the organization said. "The top three conservation actions are to set thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, avoid using large appliances and charging electric vehicles, and turn off unnecessary lights."

Typically, C&I (Commercial and Industrial) users are the biggest energy users, and that usually occurs during the business day. I'm guessing it is the additional load on top of residential HVAC usage that is drawing the most concern during the 4-9PM slot. If you have an Plug-in EV, you should look into TOU (Time-of-use) plans and charge when rates are the lowest.
Yeah, I should have used an or there.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:13 AM

340 posts, read 295,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Because EVs are so early in the development cycle, and use more power than next generation units will.
So the technology isn't here yet? What will that technology be?

Old 09-02-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The Gas Car Sales ban is for 2035. In 13 years!
That's what they say

Old 09-02-2022, 11:08 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
If you believe tech stops developing, seems quite plausible you are happily driving a 1977 AMC Pacer. Right, Wayne?

Or maybe a Model T, for the purist?

Old 09-02-2022, 11:17 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Quote:
I’ll disagree with Mike a little on this one. While, improvements to battery pack and charging system design are definitely already making DC Fast Charging (what people use generally while traveling any distance) faster and will continue to make it faster still, it doesn't seem likely that there will be a massive shift in making EVs more efficient per mile. So, while we will be able to stuff a given amount of power into a larger battery pack faster than now, the amount of power total will be similar (obviously some cars are more efficient and certainly small improvements are there to be made, it won't be an order of magnitude thing). And that's not going to affect charging at home.

And yes, the headline that everyone is so excited about because it allows them to not need to not use that little brain of theirs and get that nice confirmation bias dopamine hit, is hardly indicative of the text in the article or the reality, which is that, due to extraordinary conditions, California has asked people not to use large draw items, such as appliances, electric car charging and even the air conditioner unless it is absolutely necessary. This is the same thing that happens every year in many places, including here, where Duke Energy has turned off peoples AC this very week. It's been going on for decades since power companies would rather make more profit, than serve their customers.

Old 09-02-2022, 12:08 PM

853 posts, read 587,143 times
Getting back on the subject of this thread, I read that there is already some opposition the the VinFast project. NCDOT is proposing some road "improvements" to make access to and from the project site and several people in the area are objecting. I hope the project is built as planned, but have some doubts that it will.

For those of you who have lived here long enough, you may remember the construction of the Greenfield Parkway south of Garner. The road was built by NCDOT to access a proposed bakery site that was to be constructed by Nabisco. Then the bakery project was cancelled and the road went to nowhere. I think NCDOT sued Nabisco for the cost of the road and recovered some of the cost.

I hope NCDOT has some sort of agreement with VinFast that will cover the cost of road improvements in the event that the project is not completed as planned.

Old 09-02-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I’ll disagree with Mike a little on this one. While, improvements to battery pack and charging system design are definitely already making DC Fast Charging (what people use generally while traveling any distance) faster and will continue to make it faster still, it doesn't seem likely that there will be a massive shift in making EVs more efficient per mile. So, while we will be able to stuff a given amount of power into a larger battery pack faster than now, the amount of power total will be similar (obviously some cars are more efficient and certainly small improvements are there to be made, it won't be an order of magnitude thing). And that's not going to affect charging at home.

And yes, the headline that everyone is so excited about because it allows them to not need to not use that little brain of theirs and get that nice confirmation bias dopamine hit, is hardly indicative of the text in the article or the reality, which is that, due to extraordinary conditions, California has asked people not to use large draw items, such as appliances, electric car charging and even the air conditioner unless it is absolutely necessary. This is the same thing that happens every year in many places, including here, where Duke Energy has turned off peoples AC this very week. It's been going on for decades since power companies would rather make more profit, than serve their customers.
It is about weight. Always about weight. Trim the load the EV has to move, and efficiency will benefit. I.e., that means longer ranges.
Technology stalls when innovaters stop trying, and there are innovators and dollars behind plenty of approaches to improve efficiencies.

One example:

"Auto companies are designing ways to build a car’s fuel cells into its frame, making electric rides cheaper, roomier, and able to hit ranges of 620 miles."

https://www.wired.com/story/cell-to-...tric-vehicles/

"But what if you could integrate the battery into the structure of the car so that the cells could serve the dual purpose of powering the vehicle and serving as its skeleton? That is exactly what Tesla and Chinese companies such as BYD and CATL are working on. The new structural designs coming out of these companies stand to not only change the way EVs are produced but increase vehicle ranges while decreasing manufacturing costs."

Old 09-02-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Getting back on the subject of this thread, I read that there is already some opposition the the VinFast project. NCDOT is proposing some road "improvements" to make access to and from the project site and several people in the area are objecting. I hope the project is built as planned, but have some doubts that it will.

For those of you who have lived here long enough, you may remember the construction of the Greenfield Parkway south of Garner. The road was built by NCDOT to access a proposed bakery site that was to be constructed by Nabisco. Then the bakery project was cancelled and the road went to nowhere. I think NCDOT sued Nabisco for the cost of the road and recovered some of the cost.

I hope NCDOT has some sort of agreement with VinFast that will cover the cost of road improvements in the event that the project is not completed as planned.
By then it's too late. The historic church built in the 1800s will have been torn down, 27 families, some who have lived on the same piece of land for over 100 years will have already been kicked out for fraction of true value.

There are already roads to the place. Don't see why NCDOT cannot just widen them.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post

NCGA is on the record as the site will need these upgrades for VinFast, or for another industrial tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary