Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:33 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,331 times

Advertisements

ESL English as a second language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 PM

50 posts, read 196,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
ESL English as a second language
ahhh... ok. no, no, no don't want that! thanks for getting back to me.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:31 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezed out View Post
ahhh... ok. no, no, no don't want that! thanks for getting back to me.
I guess I'm curious why you are so adamant about not sending your children to a school with ESL kids. Having working with ESL kids, I will tell you that they are some of the nicest kids you will meet. And usually when a school has a high number of kids with needs like ESL or SPED or whatever, then the school has a more diverse range of resources available. It's not a bad thing. I can't speak for EC, but don't rule out a school just because there are some kids who are learning English. That just seems silly and elitist.

But anyway, have you considered Durham? That would put you smack in the middle of all the action that your husband would need. There are many schools in Durham that are great. Again, you might get some ESL kids or other minority kids, but the commute won't kill you husband.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 AM

50 posts, read 196,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I guess I'm curious why you are so adamant about not sending your children to a school with ESL kids. Having working with ESL kids, I will tell you that they are some of the nicest kids you will meet. And usually when a school has a high number of kids with needs like ESL or SPED or whatever, then the school has a more diverse range of resources available. It's not a bad thing. I can't speak for EC, but don't rule out a school just because there are some kids who are learning English. That just seems silly and elitist.

But anyway, have you considered Durham? That would put you smack in the middle of all the action that your husband would need. There are many schools in Durham that are great. Again, you might get some ESL kids or other minority kids, but the commute won't kill you husband.
When I hear this "Squeezedout, one of the reasons EC has low test scores has to do with the increase in ESL students. EC is one of the schools with the highest percentage in the OCS", no, I do not want to send my children to that school. If ESL students are a reason for a schools poor performance, than I would rather not have my children go there. It has nothing to do with whether the kids are nice or not.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
When I hear this "Squeezedout, one of the reasons EC has low test scores has to do with the increase in ESL students. EC is one of the schools with the highest percentage in the OCS", no, I do not want to send my children to that school. If ESL students are a reason for a schools poor performance, than I would rather not have my children go there. It has nothing to do with whether the kids are nice or not.
Like Sandycat mentioned, if a school has ESL kids they get additional resources for those kids. Thus the ESL kids are not taking resources away from your child. Also, just because scores are lower because of the number of ESL kids does not mean your child will not learn or will not score well on the test.

In my child's school here in Durham, he has a few ESL kids in his class. These kids go to a pull out class where they work on reading and language. So the ESL kids haven't slowed down the pace of learning for the other students (if that's what your worried about. Not sure... just guessing.) In fact, my son has learned a little Korean, Spainish, and Vietnamese. And he's always sharing fun cultural facts with me that his friends have taught him. And I love volunteering with the ESL kids... I wish I could learn a language as quickly as they pick up English! It's amazing to see. Plus I always get the best hugs from them, which is great because my son won't hug me at school any more.

This info is not meant to be judgemental. I just wanted to share, because if you haven't had a child in a NC school then you have no way of knowing what resources are available. This is just meant to be informational.

Another option that you might want to explore is Johnston County. It's closer to Raleigh for your hubby's commute.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:28 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,516 times
Quote:
no, I do not want to send my children to that school. If ESL students are a reason for a schools poor performance, than I would rather not have my children go there. It has nothing to do with whether the kids are nice or not.
Squeezed Out, I am sorry if I mislead you but I assumed you knew about ESL, since it's a big issue in many states with the influx of non-English speaking students. Let me explain what I meant. Tests are given in English, not in their native language right? If they are learning English as a 2nd language (and yes the other poster was correct, those students get pulled out for certain subjects as they are learning English). If you have 1/3 or even 1/2 of the student population as ESL, you will have a greater percentage at a disadvantage when it comes to test time simply b/c of the English barrier. That is one reason I do not put much stock in standardized tests. There are of course, many other reasons as well. Test scores are misleading. To hold a child out of any school b/c of the numbers is taking a narrow view of things. There have been many changes made in OCS administration across the system, but it's really the teachers and how caring they are. Do they create the sort of learning environment you want for your child? Do they stimulat the children and get the kids excited about learning? At the HS level we need to look out things like what are the graduation rates, and what percentages go on to colleges, etc. Please don't misconstrue my earlier statement as meaning that Efland Cheeks is not good enough b/c the ESL students. Absolutely not what I intended. The test scores are lower than other elementary schools, yes, but you have to look at the reason. Then you have to look at what is important to you for your child(ren). To be honest, I think having that kind of diversity is good at an early age--it teaches tolerance and understanding.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:45 PM

30 posts, read 75,506 times
Default Schools/Lot Size

The above poster is dead on about the test score problem at the elementary school. ESL = English as a Second Language. This is the biggest issue that tends to affect the test scores. I know multiple families who have moved into the Ashbury Subdivision with worries over the school who now have little or no issues with it. The middle school and the high school are both great in my opinion. Also on the lot size issue with Ashbury, the range in the neighborhood is from .14 - .26 with the average of them being in the .18-.20 range. There are three builders in the neighborhood at three different price points and each of them have mix of different sized lots. If you want a few parents with kids in the school to talk to let me know and I can give you some email addresses. Most of them are more than happy to tell you about there experiences with the schools both good and bad.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,466 times
Default Orange County Schools

Quote:
Thank you for your informative response, but what are ESL students? Still trying to figure all the initials used on this site! lol.
ESL is english as a second language.

I have 5 children that went to Efland Cheeks over the past12 years. My last is there now. In the beginning the principle was horrible but the teachers were fantastic. The assistant principle is great.

My children went to Grady Brown and I was very disappointed. If you want your child to be just another number then this is the place.

At Efland each teacher know the students by name including the Assistant Principle. The students get a great support system and feel that each and every one is special. The teachers are really care about the students and love their work and it shows. My children are A-B honor students and one a National Honor Student. I believe that the support they receive from the elementary schools are very important because Middle and High become very difficult.

So if you wnat a school that takes an interest and makes your child feel special Efland is the one for you, Gravely Hill Middle is not bad but they still need more established teachers there, Cedar Ridge is my choice for High School. I have had both of my older girls attend school with their grandparents to stay out of Orange High. The two years my oldest attended Orange was horrible. Most of the teachers there are there for the paycheck and the administration doesn't really care either.

Sorry for being so long winded but I thought it would be best for you to hear from someone in the area with students that attended the schools.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 PM

8 posts, read 15,161 times
ESL are English as a Second Language Students. In fact, I will be teaching ESL this fall. I presently live in Raleigh and will need to move closer to Orange County. I would like to live around Chapel Hill. I am in my mid twenties and would like to live in an apartment. Can anyone recommend any properties? Thanks.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:30 AM

16 posts, read 62,407 times
ESL, English as a second language. Only part of Mebane is Orange County. Most of it is in Alamance County. Mill Creek Subdivision would be great for you and most of it is in Alamance County. Wonderful schools: EM Yoder Elementary, Woodlawn Middle and Eastern High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary