Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 07:57 AM

643 posts, read 351,846 times

Advertisements

Last Thursday I was unfairly fired from my job. The manager told me to attend a meeting with the director. But in the meeting she terminated my contract only by herself. There's no HR present in the meeting. She took away my badge and laptop illegally. IMO this is an unfair firing and totally nonsense. She was the worst manager I've ever seen in my entire life and she wanted to cover her fault, so she chose the way to terminate my employment.

Could you help me with this situation and recommend a lawyer specialized in wrongful termination? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:35 AM

363 posts, read 225,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot002 View Post
Last Thursday I was unfairly fired from my job. The manager told me to attend a meeting with the director. But in the meeting she terminated my contract only by herself. There's no HR present in the meeting. She took away my badge and laptop illegally. IMO this is an unfair firing and totally nonsense. She was the worst manager I've ever seen in my entire life and she wanted to cover her fault, so she chose the way to terminate my employment.

Could you help me with this situation and recommend a lawyer specialized in wrongful termination? Thanks in advance.
I think it depends on the terms of your contract, otherwise NC is an at-will employment state meaning you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. The only exception to my knowledge is if you were fired because you're part of a protected class.

It sounds to me like you have been given a great opportunity to find a better manager who will recognize and reward you for your efforts, rather than one who will throw you under the bus to cover her own faults.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
I think it depends on the terms of your contract, otherwise NC is an at-will employment state meaning you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. The only exception to my knowledge is if you were fired because you're part of a protected class.

It sounds to me like you have been given a great opportunity to find a better manager who will recognize and reward you for your efforts, rather than one who will throw you under the bus to cover her own faults.
I'm a FTE.
I don't understand your second paragraph. Could you explain?

Old 05-15-2023, 08:51 AM

363 posts, read 225,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot002 View Post
I'm a FTE.
I don't understand your second paragraph. Could you explain?
I'm saying that you should look at being fired as a good thing. You are free from a toxic boss who would keep you from flourishing. Only look forward not behind.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
I'm saying that you should look at being fired as a good thing. You are free from a toxic boss who would keep you from flourishing. Only look forward not behind.
I understand this. But this is certainly a wrongful termination and unfair firing. I need a lawyer to get my right back! It's far from over yet. I need compensation for my time, money and mental health.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:11 AM

235 posts, read 238,208 times
Unfortunately your lawyer will inform you that North Carolina ranks dead last in the US for employee rights. Unless you were fired for being part of a protected class or your employer breached a written contract (rare in NC), chances are your employer did not violate state or federal law.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
Unfortunately your lawyer will inform you that North Carolina ranks dead last in the US for employee rights. Unless you were fired for being part of a protected class or your employer breached a written contract (rare in NC), chances are your employer did not violate state or federal law.
Then why there are so many lawyers in the triangle region working in this field? If those employers can fire arbitrarily, the lawyers should have lose their jobs.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:25 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Because there is a never-ending stream of people who were fired and are in a protected class.

https://www.vancamplaw.com/news/wron...mination-in-nc

Old 05-15-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Because there is a never-ending stream of people who were fired and are in a protected class.

https://www.vancamplaw.com/news/wron...mination-in-nc
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:55 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
How much are you willing to pay per hour for an attorney? This kind of attorney does not work on contingency, they will charge you for every minute they work for you and that includes phone calls where you decide you are going to shoot the breeze for 15 minutes. That'll be $80, sir, keep talking.

I understand you're mad and hurt, but think this through.

As to your question as to why there are lawyers in this field, the answer is simple - lawyers get paid whether they win or lose. Even those TV lawyers who say you pay nothing unless we win, have fine print that says "except our expenses". And a lot of the time, winning means settling, because they make money when they win cases, not when YOU get what you want. And the boss who fired you? No skin off her back - the company will pay for her lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary