Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,422 times

Advertisements

Forget the Hispanic comments, what caught my attention was his brother's TWO DUIs. The first DUI he killed the driver of the other car. He was originally charged with vehicular homicide. Later it was reduced to lessor charge that resulted in Bizell's brother getting only 3 years probation, no jail time!?!?!

Fast forwarding, his brother gets a second DUI and conveniently the charging officer fails to show up for the court case and the case is dropped. Hmmm very suspicious don't ya think?

If these two incidents do not smell like a Good old boy network, I have no idea what does. I think this guy who calls himself Sheriff needs to be investigated.

As for the Hispanic comment, well, if he has a beef with illegals, fine, I'm all for it, but to call all Hispanics trash?!?! Come on now, it's time to step down. This kind of behavior will only cost you, the local tax payer millions. This is because Hispanics who are now or have been confronted by the Sheriff's department are going to sue and probably many of them will win. The ACLU is not setting up camp in your community. Not a good thing, because ultimately you pay for these racist law enforcement officials.

While I fully agree the illegal situation needs attention, calling all people of any race trash, as a public official is just not a good idea.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:29 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
We had a sheriff like that in Jefferson Parish, LA, Harry Lee.

He said what he thought and picked up heat for it. What he said in most cases was the truth.

Moderator cut: topic is about the sheriff

Last edited by autumngal; 09-11-2008 at 06:36 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 01:49 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
These are the reported comments by the Johnston County Sheriff in the article that was published in Sunday's News & Observer of Raleigh, as he drove through a neighborhood, pointing out piles of garbage and abandoned junk cars, that "Mexicans are trashy." He added that illegal immigrants living in his county were "breeding like rabbits" and were spreading a culture of drunkenness and violence.

Like all NC sheriffs, the office is political. I imagine if a majority of Johnston County voters disagree with his views on local matters, he'll be voted out of office during the next election cycle.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:30 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
It's pretty apparent by Bizzell's comments and actions who the REAL trash is here. Throw the trash out! I'm guessing there are plenty of people who like to take THAt haul to the dump. Hate and fear are very motivating factors.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
He might not be a racist, or even a bad sheriff, but those comments were way out of line and you need to be held to a higher standard when you enforce the law. Since it's a political position (don't get me started on the concept of elected sheriff's), he probably will be fine and I don't see him not getting re-elected if he choses to run again.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 AM

528 posts, read 1,463,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
He might not be a racist, or even a bad sheriff, but those comments were way out of line and you need to be held to a higher standard when you enforce the law. Since it's a political position (don't get me started on the concept of elected sheriff's), he probably will be fine and I don't see him not getting re-elected if he choses to run again.
It's hard to treat situations fairly and with bias when your words show that you are an racial/ethnic profiler. What scares me even more than his comments are those posted below the article I read in the N&O: newsobserver.com | ACLU suspects Bizzell of anti-Latino bias (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1212170.html - broken link)

Old 09-11-2008, 07:58 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
I agree with you. I don't know anything about the man, so I have no clue whether or not he's a racist, but comments like those really make NC look very bad in the national spotlight.

If he was a Chief of Police he could not say such things, because he would have been gone in a heartbeat. Sheriff's SHOULD NOT be elected officials, because then they pretty much can get away with almost anything without repercussion.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
It's hard to treat situations fairly and with bias when your words show that you are an racial/ethnic profiler. What scares me even more than his comments are those posted below the article I read in the N&O: newsobserver.com | ACLU suspects Bizzell of anti-Latino bias (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1212170.html - broken link)

For the record, I'm not a big supporter of the ACLU, but I do know once they get their hooks in you, it's not good. They do not and will not go away. That was my point to the original post. This is likely going to cost the people of this area some $ to either fork out the coming suits, or at the very least defend from them. The ACLU will dig, dig, and dig some more until they find dirt and once they do, look out below.

There was a case in Minnesota that had the ACLU accusing a school of applying extreme punishment measures on the new and growing Hispanic students while not applying the same punishment standards to other races. They always gave the maximum allowable penalty to Hispanics and the minimal to the Caucasian students for the same breaking of rules. They got the schools records and proved their case. The school officials were fired and the tax payers had to fork out millions. Not good. I would hate to see this sort of thing happen here.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM

528 posts, read 1,463,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
There was a case in Minnesota that had the ACLU accusing a school of applying extreme punishment measures on the new and growing Hispanic students while not applying the same punishment standards to other races. They always gave the maximum allowable penalty to Hispanics and the minimal to the Caucasian students for the same breaking of rules. They got the schools records and proved their case. The school officials were fired and the tax payers had to fork out millions. Not good. I would hate to see this sort of thing happen here.
Hmmm...maybe if it happened to your kids you'd feel differently. I'm not saying I have an opinion one way or another about the ACLU. However, if it's true that this kind of mis-treatment was going on toward a particular race, then it should be stopped. Sometimes the price of allowing something like that to continue is higher than the cost that the taxpayers will put out stopping such nonsense.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Since the sheriff is elected, the voters can decide if he is doing a good job for Johnston County.

I betcha a beer they will say that he is.

Profiling isn't always wrong. For example, a pit bull is more likely to attack than a beagle. Some ethnic groups are more likely to commit certain infractions than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary