Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,443 times

Advertisements

I think that we should have school on 9/11, and MLK, and Veteran's & President's Day. On those days the curriculum should relate to the date... there are so many ways to teach about our history. ... and based on attendance at parades & ceremonies honoring our heroes, veterans, victims, etc., most people are not commemorating the events of the day, they are barbequeing or going to the mall for a sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:38 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,834 times
Quote:
How can we teach our children that we should never forget this national tragedy when the media outlets can do so simply because it's not profitable enough?
What's more troubling to me is the idea that we need to depend on television to teach our children about important events in our history.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:49 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,579,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
What's more troubling to me is the idea that we need to depend on television to teach our children about important events in our history.
Why would that be troubling to you? Don't you think that a few hundred years ago someone in the Old World thought the same thing about the printed word? Media is media, television incorporates images and words very effectively.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:50 AM

147 posts, read 427,768 times
I can't beleive you couldn't find coverage of the 9/11 ceremonies on every major news network. I turned it on that morning and it was on every channel. Maybe you weren't looking at the actual time it happened, between 8:30 and 10:00am.

I remember the morning vividly, one of the sadest I can remember. I will say that I don't think they should make a whole day of the coverage on every channel. I don't think it should be a "National Holiday". Making a holiday out of a tragedy seems like more of a slap in the face to those who suffered a loss on that day. It is and will always be a somber day for me and for those it touched, but I don't think it should be over covered and sensationalized because then it would be feeding into the fear those monstered wanted to instill in us.

Re: the coverage being blocked or diverted by those who wish to attack our president...really? This is no different than any administration at all. Both sides poke at the sitting administration. I can recall the comments about the last and how full of venom they were. I could care less about the last one or this one, they are both full of hot air. This one just likes to spend money that doesn't exist more than the last.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times
I watch the coverage every year. I do remember that day very well and I wasn't anywhere near NYC or DC or PA. My daughter, age 6, knows that on September 11th planes flew into buildings. She has seen me cry about it and us talk about it. Our goal is to make our kids aware of the world around them. With that being said, I saw someone on TV who put together a whole September 11th curriculum for school students. It would be great for it to be taught in our middle and high schools. They show iconic pictures like the one where the firefighters are putting up a flag, and then they show an interview with the photographer of the picture for example.

Anyhow, back to the OP, the coverage was there if you wanted to see it. I guess I don't really expect to find Sept. 11 coverage on local networks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary