Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:10 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,534 times

Advertisements

Up here in MA I don't have a garbage disposal unit and I am perfectly happy not to have one as I hear too many horror stories about injuries and things that shouldn't be put down them being put down them. I was just saying to my husband that I hope we don't have one when we move to Chapel Hill. He reminded me that the climate will be much warmer so it might be preferable to have a garbage disposal rather than having rotting food in the trash. So my question is: Do most kitchens come equipped with a garbage disposal unit and is there a problem with smelly trash because of the heat? And what are the best ways to combat the smell if there is one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,670,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Up here in MA I don't have a garbage disposal unit and I am perfectly happy not to have one as I hear too many horror stories about injuries and things that shouldn't be put down them being put down them. I was just saying to my husband that I hope we don't have one when we move to Chapel Hill. He reminded me that the climate will be much warmer so it might be preferable to have a garbage disposal rather than having rotting food in the trash. So my question is: Do most kitchens come equipped with a garbage disposal unit and is there a problem with smelly trash because of the heat? And what are the best ways to combat the smell if there is one?
Yes, trash smells in the heat. I am not sure what you mean by "And what are the best ways to combat the smell if there is one?" If you have one, you can put your non-compostable organic (smelly) rubbish down it and it doesn't smell. It's the trash in the can that stinks if you arent' careful.

Oh, and yes, most homes come with them. Not sure what horror stories you've heard...but really...a little care (and I do mean little)....they are great. I can't imagine living without one.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:25 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,787 times
Quote:
I don't have one because I am on septic
I have never in my life not had one, and it seems almost crazy that people still don't have them, but I guess for the sake of the septic, we must throw our smelly rotting food into the trash. Go figure

Old 05-25-2007, 05:32 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
Anything that qualifies as rotten or smelly goes in our compost bin. Prior to the baby, we'd go three weeks without a trip to the dump.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Anything that qualifies as rotten or smelly goes in our compost bin. Prior to the baby, we'd go three weeks without a trip to the dump.
You put meat prodcts in your compost? I've always been taught that is a huge no-no.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:06 PM

202 posts, read 950,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
I don't have one because I am on septic
I have never in my life not had one, and it seems almost crazy that people still don't have them, but I guess for the sake of the septic, we must throw our smelly rotting food into the trash. Go figure
You can have one on a septic, I have one and there is a cartridge you install on it that pumps an enzyme down to the septic which helps break down the food. Now I am still carefull about what I put down there but I do use it. You do have to replace the cartridge about every 4 months.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:14 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
You put meat prodcts in your compost? I've always been taught that is a huge no-no.
Wife is a vegetarian, so it is rare that we have meat scraps. When we do (or if we have some cheese go bad), we stick used to stick it in the freezer till we went to the dump (now we stick it in the diaper genie )

Old 05-25-2007, 08:21 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,302 times
I did notice those units in every house we've looked at in NC (all new construction). I've never had one and don't want it-seems dangerous with kids, and um, me , around. I just put the potentially smelly stuff into a shopping bag (a small plastic bag I mean, like a grocery store bag) and put it into the outside can immediately. I never have smell problems, and it was 95 here in Ct today (and I have no ac in this house). THe can outside stinks sometimes, but it's outside so I don't care, lol.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:31 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I did notice those units in every house we've looked at in NC (all new construction). I've never had one and don't want it-seems dangerous with kids, and um, me , around. I just put the potentially smelly stuff into a shopping bag (a small plastic bag I mean, like a grocery store bag) and put it into the outside can immediately. I never have smell problems, and it was 95 here in Ct today (and I have no ac in this house). THe can outside stinks sometimes, but it's outside so I don't care, lol.

Wanderintonc, I worry that they are dangerous with the kids and me too. That's why I don't really want one either.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Wanderintonc, I worry that they are dangerous with the kids and me too. That's why I don't really want one either.
Okay...how do you think they are dangerous? What do yo think your kids are going to do?

At most, you can always unplug it (some have plugs under the sink....others you have to have disconnected).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary