Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:00 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,889 times

Advertisements

We are moving to North Raleigh in two weeks!

We visited this past weekend and found lots of vegetarian food. I was wondering if any vegans or vegetarians out there might know of any restaurants, etc. that we should be sure not to miss.

This forum is such a great place for people trying to decide whether or not to move, where to move, and how to find the things we're looking for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 PM

157 posts, read 617,511 times
There's one in Downtown Raleigh that my fiance told me about called Sally & Ritz I think? You might want to Google it...It's on Glenwood Ave.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 PM

I found it:

Zely & Ritz Tapas Restaurant and Wine Bar (http://www.zelyandritz.com/menu_dinner.html - broken link)

Thanks so much!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
If you like Indian food, there are several vegetarian Indian restaurants in the area. Even some of the ones who do serve meat have large vegetarian enttree offerings and are careful not to mix meat and vegetarian foods. Many of them are in Cary: Cool Breeze, Suchi, Udipi cafe.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:46 PM

Thanks for those! Is there one that you think is best?

(And I certainly don't mind if the restaurant isn't entirely vegetarian.)

Old 05-30-2007, 09:03 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
We like all of themm but they are all different. Don't expect much of atmosphere and decor. They're all in lower end strip malls. Suchi is not entirely vegetarian, but they have a very large selection of vegetarian entrees. It's primarily Sounth Indian, so they don't have the "typical" Indian fare like butter chicken and kebabs. It's more like stewed lentils (dal) and vegetable curries). It is VERY good food though and they have a nice buffet which offers plenty of vegetarian stuff.

Udipi Cafe IS vegetarian and is very good, but the food is different. Cool Breeze is also vegetarian, but it's called "chaat", which is basically cold food. I can't really think of an American equivalent. My DH (from India) calls "chaat" snacks, but I think that's only because the food is actually not hot, heavy curry style food. It's cold food, and not heavy, but IMO, the portions are large enough to be entrees. ANother one around the corner is Biryani House. We order take from there frequently.
Just know that in general, customer service, atmosphere and decor is not the "forte" of most Indian eateries. You'll read mixed reviews on all of these places, but they run the places as if they would run them in India and like I said, CS is not the goal. You can take that for whatever it's worth, but they won't blink an eye or comp your meal if you complain about inattentive service or slow delivery.
Just letting you know ahead of time. We've never had a problem, but it seems some people have.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:55 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,987 times
The Third Place : a coffee house : 1811 Glenwood Avenue (Five Points) : Raleigh, North Carolina (http://www.thirdplacecoffee.com/ - broken link)

Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Thanks for those! Is there one that you think is best?

(And I certainly don't mind if the restaurant isn't entirely vegetarian.)
My favorite is Saffron in Morrisville. It is on Davis Drive near McCrimmon Parkway. There is also an Indian restaurant on Morrisville Carpenter Rd in Morrisville, west of NC 54 but east of Davis, and I believe that that one is all vegetarian. I saw a new Indian restaurant opening up on NC 54 in Morrisville, right next to Neomonde Bakery, but I haven't tried that one yet, so I can't comment on their vegetarian offerings.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 AM

Thanks so much!

Old 07-08-2007, 05:14 PM

I'm posting this for anyone who may have come across this during a search.

Here are a few good and easy options for vegans in North Raleigh:

Bahama Breeze
Taste of Thai
Azitra
Moe's Southwest Grill
Bear Rock Cafe
Greek Fiesta
Twisted Fork (required special requests)
P.F. Chang's
ZPizza
Salsarita's
Macaroni Grill (make-your-own pasta)
Earth Fare cafe (near airport - great!)

If you are vegan, you will do VERY well here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary