Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 AM

11 posts, read 54,103 times

Advertisements

I'm from Europe and have had my driving license about 15 years. Now I need to have my test in Raleigh. I've studied and think will pass the sign and written test. I'm worried about driving test. Where they take you to drive in Raleigh office (located at Spring Forest Rd)? Capital Blvd? Atlantic Ave? And where do you do backing and 3 point turn? Parking lot or somewhere else?

I also read that the staff at this office is not very nice. Does someone has a really nice experience? Or is there some other office I could go? I live in Wakefield.

Lots of guestions but I'm nervous. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
You'll do fine. Drive cautiously, and pay attention to the small details. Don't make the obvious mistake like going over the speed limit. They will take you out on some local roads for a quick check of your basic driving skills. They will likely have to make a 3 point turn - I know someone who failed because she let her back wheel go off the pavement at the spot they did the test.

You're an experienced driver and should have little to worry about.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 AM

Hey, thanks! I'm not a native English speaker and I'm also worried I mess up with right and left and everything else. Thank you for you reply!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
And if you learned British English, remember that here "pavement" means the road surface, not the sidewalk as in England

When I first moved here I was told to look out for trick questions. Well, I thought I'd found one when it read something like - what do you do when your tires go off the pavement?" I thought, ah ha! That's a trick, you shouldn't be driving ON the pavement

Don't worry, the test is fine. It's not difficult, just stayed focused. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Thanks! And it's funny: I checked the meaning of "pavement" only few moments ago. I indeed studied British English and some words can be tricky. So pavement = road surface. Thank you once again!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:40 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,414 times
Make SURE you come to a complete stop at stop signs. Even if there are no cars, count to three (preferably not out loud) before continuing.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Thanks "second right"! I try to keep my mouth shut.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Not all of the questions are straightforward. Sometimes all the choices are maybe correct. Rely on this website:

Driver License Exam BrainDumps: Study Guide for the NC DMV exam or

http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/practice-tests.php

These used to be free, but there is a charge now. Humpf.

You could also claim a motorcycle permit on your old license. There should be no riding test, only the computer test. Mine from PA carried over since I passed the test. If you study the cheat sheet you will pass it.
The people were very nice to me back on '07. I did not have to take a practical, though.

Last edited by Crashj007; 02-18-2010 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: cheats not free anymore

Old 02-18-2010, 03:22 PM

To be honest I've already DMVCheatSheets.com sheets. I've studied them inside out. I just hope these are good enought sheets. Thanks for the motorcycle tip. I've european motorcicle permit. I try that if I can't pass the test. Thank you once again!

Old 02-18-2010, 03:39 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
To answer your initial question, you usually drive near the office for the test and do some of the backing/3-point-turn in an area behind the office, but that varies with the office.

You can take the test at *any* office in any county. In your situation, I might look at going to Franklin County just so I'm not turning out into heavy traffic when I'm taking the test.

From what I've heard, you'll find the test far easier than a European (or at least a UK) test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary