Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times

Advertisements

We probably looked at 25+ in person before narrowing it down to 3 possibilities (or 2 possibilities as far as my DH was concerned, lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
We must have looked at 20, after that crash. Our realtor used each visit as a way to hone in on exactly what we wanted.

We got what we wanted at the price we wanted, and the realty got its commission. Win-win!

Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Oh boy. We saw between 30-40 homes in person but looked at hundreds online. Put an offer at different times on 3 different homes and got it.

Side note; it's pretty funny what people are asking for based on what seems age, size, location of their home. I'm not sure how some of the realtors think their pictures do a home justice.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
During my last round of house-hunting...

I placed an offer on the first place I looked at. (Full price offer. Seller wanted me to remove the appraisal contingency AND countered with a price $15k higher than the list price. Turned out he was upside down. I didn't want to play that game so I withdrew.)

It took me about 6 months after that to buy. I placed offers on 5 or 6 houses, and I looked at maybe 12.

My circumstances might be a little different - I'd lived in the area for 2 years already and had narrowed down the neighborhoods I was interested in, as well as other factors. I was able to rule a lot of properties out just from viewing the MLS listing online. And I had a strong preference for a condo in 2 specific buildings.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I always look at over a hundred. Sometimes very much over a hundred.

But the way I do it is to have my agent give me a print out of everything that falls in my price range, in the towns that I will consider. Then I drive around by myself and look at all the properties.

I can eliminate almost all of them. There will be somewhere about 12 that I want to see the inside. Most of those get eliminated with only a quick look. I'll end up with 3 that I want to see the inside again.

One thing about using websites to select houses is that often times the photos do not give a realistic view of the house. I occasionally see a very attractive property that has a lousy set of photos and a worse description and if you didn't see the house in person, you would never think it was worth looking at.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:30 PM

98 posts, read 236,638 times
We looked at about 15-20 before we bought the one we are in now.

There was a realtor we were looking at using to help us buy a home. She said that she "only shows the cream of the crop" and her clients make an offer after looking at, on average, 5 homes. When she encouraged us to put an offer in on the VERY first house she showed us, we moved on to another realtor.....

Old 02-02-2014, 11:24 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
We house shopped back in Sept of 2011.

I myself looked at approx. total of 100 houses ( in person ) We ( Realtor and I ) showed her ( gf / wife ) approx. best 20 or so.

Made our 1st offer after maybe a dozen houses ... made a total of 3 written offers over a 3 month span of house shopping.

3rd time was a charm

Old 02-02-2014, 03:43 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttatheRain View Post
When she encouraged us to put an offer in on the VERY first house she showed us, we moved on to another realtor.....
What if the house you bought was the first house you had seen? Why is it wrong for an agent to encourage an offer if the house has everything you're looking for and you're not voicing any concern with it? If an agent feels you like the house as you've given no objections, would you then fire her because you didn't think she was aggressive enough about putting in an offer?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
That's how the realtor makes his commission. He takes you around to homes, and finally you find one, and then he or she assists in the buying process. It took us looking at over 25 homes over a year ago to find the one we finally bought. Find the right realtor, and don't be worried about bothering him. Showing homes is how he makes his living.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default So not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Showing homes is how he makes his living.
Not true at all.
Real-estate agents make a living when buyers and sellers close the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate