Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 PM

65 posts, read 257,108 times

Advertisements

How many homes does the average person see before deciding on moving forward with an offer on one? Surely this varies greatly, but... here is what I'm getting at:

So far I've dragged my realtor around to about 5 different properties. When I contacted him initially and informed him I would like him to be my buyer's agent, I asked him a series of questions. One of which being, "when I want to see a home, should I contact the listing agent for the showing, and then if I am interested in proceeding further, contact you?" He said "no" and to not make contact with any listing agents and make the appointments through him. And that's just what we've done so far.

I thought I had it narrowed down to a couple of homes, but suddenly one has dropped off the consumer search sites and says not for sale now. Plus, a couple other properties popped up that I may want to see.

I'm sure of one thing. I should not just decide to move forward on a house based on not wanting to 'bother' my agent for making arrangements and meeting at properties. But I have to ask, is it customary to see some number of houses or do I keep dragging him out to property's until I feel content? What if it takes seeing 25 homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
When I bought before I looked at homes for 5 years before I found one I liked.
Currently looking for home/land to purchase and have already looked at 30.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollerprod View Post
How many homes does the average person see before deciding on moving forward with an offer on one? Surely this varies greatly, but... here is what I'm getting at:

So far I've dragged my realtor around to about 5 different properties. When I contacted him initially and informed him I would like him to be my buyer's agent, I asked him a series of questions. One of which being, "when I want to see a home, should I contact the listing agent for the showing, and then if I am interested in proceeding further, contact you?" He said "no" and to not make contact with any listing agents and make the appointments through him. And that's just what we've done so far.

I thought I had it narrowed down to a couple of homes, but suddenly one has dropped off the consumer search sites and says not for sale now. Plus, a couple other properties popped up that I may want to see.

I'm sure of one thing. I should not just decide to move forward on a house based on not wanting to 'bother' my agent for making arrangements and meeting at properties. But I have to ask, is it customary to see some number of houses or do I keep dragging him out to property's until I feel content? What if it takes seeing 25 homes?
then it takes 25 homes

I've had clients buy the first home we viewed, I've had clients look at 40 (over a weekend, and over a year), and I've had clients view an amount of homes and decide not to buy at all.

don't worry about 'bothering' your agent. if you want to see a home, they should coordinate with you. if they start to give a vibe like you're annoying them, discuss it and decide if it's time to vacate the relationship

Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM

117 posts, read 270,603 times
This is a big investment for you so you need to look at enough homes that you can evaluate the pros and cons of each and how well they fit your budget and needs. As long as you aren't changing your mind every day about what you want and your agent has a good idea of what you are looking for, you should see as many homes as it takes to find the right one for you. No home is ever "perfect" but do your due diligence and one will come up with your name on it Your agent's job is to find homes that fit your criteria, go with you to viewings and help you sort out those pros and cons.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
The wife and I relocated ( retirement) 870 miles away from family and leased a fully furnished home (5 month lease)

Three months into the lease we decided we liked the area and started looking at houses.
In a one month period we looked at( toured) a total of 15 different houses and 2 weeks after deciding we were done " touring" , put an offer in on one house.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Well I've been looking for 4 years. I have very specific needs for my next property and very few which even come close to those needs have appeared on the market.

I've seen 8 houses. Made two solid offers. One house has been withdrawn from market.. and the other was a "best offer" situation. I was $5001 short. I offered $927,000. Best offer was $932,000. Grrrrrr. It was perfect in every way.

A couple other houses after due-diligence on my part wouldn't work. Survey issues.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
I can't tell you how many is average 'cause I'm not average.

Probably the number of trips matters more to the agent than the number of houses.

I have done a substantial amount of research before asking to look, including checking out what is available on MLS websites and then doing a drive-by before asking for a look inside. You can eliminate a lot of houses using these two screens.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM

108 posts, read 389,693 times
I saw about 20 properties this time before putting in an offer. This was after doing all the online viewing and drive bys to rule out ones that were not contenders. When we placed the offer, our realtor told us that we were right in the average for the number of properties shown till an offer is placed.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:31 PM

542 posts, read 1,548,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
don't worry about 'bothering' your agent. if you want to see a home, they should coordinate with you. if they start to give a vibe like you're annoying them, discuss it and decide if it's time to vacate the relationship
^This. If your agent doesn't want to do their job, don't feel bad about finding one who does. We went through a couple agents when we were looking for our first house, and have used several agents for the various rentals we've bought. Many agents aren't willing to put in time for buyers who are looking for good value, so don't feel guilty.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Your agent should be in constant contact with you and scouting properties for you.

One time we looked at 12 homes in one day.

Your agent is supposed to be working for you. You don't need to be intimidated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate