Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times

Advertisements

OP--you said it was move-in day for them. If you've ever moved you should know that moving day can be chaotic. Consider that the 2 kids that are likely being less supervised than normal as the parent(s) are busy with moving things. The dog is in an unfamiliar location (and likely a little scared by it-thus the barking). I think you're looking for problems where none likely exist. The parents apologized for the bike riding and the kids tried to quiet the dog.

Last edited by rrah; 07-29-2016 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:41 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times
Maybe & hopefully it was chaos because it was moving day? Moving is always a pain in th a** but if you have kids & can't send them to Grandma's for the day it can turn into a nightmare.

I always start out with "delusions of grandeur" about "teamwork" & "extra hands" & then it usually disintegrates into "OMG this will take 2 weeks like this...please just GO OUTSIDE."

Hopefully, this will be the case, OP...

Now that I think of it; I wonder what neighbors thought on MY moving days..."OMG...I think the 'old woman who USED to live in a shoe' is moving in next door" !

Old 07-29-2016, 08:48 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree.

It's not that they necessarily are undisciplined children. It's just that they are children doing what children (and dogs) do.

Kids don't view the world with the same boundaries that adults do, so they don't always realize they are biking on your property. They sometimes just think about that "cool slope on the sidewalk" etc.

Yes, your lawn is obviously your lawn, but you've asserted yourself and let them know you're coming. Both families will have some adjustments to make. They aren't toddlers, so their outside activities will probably dwindle as they get older (unless one of them loves basketball and dribbles constantly in the driveway ).

Just hope their friends don't have loud cars when they become teenagers!
I agree about the OP rethinking the neighborhood. After all, this is just one family...imagine when the whole street is active.

I do disagree about the kids being aware that riding across the lawn was bad, of course they knew....that's why they apologized. So, it's good they apologized, but they still didn't refrain form being destructive, even though their parents were home.

OP if you truly liked your previous home because it was quiet with no kids, why did you buy in an area where there will be families and the busy hubbub your encountered?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:51 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Oh, that encounter would definitely have me second guessing a purchase. How far into this deal are you, can you switch locations if it is a neighborhood?

this ^^^^most definitely and tell me is there a dollar amount you put on your piece and quiet cause it sounds like to me you wont get it where you are going to move ,...yes I would suggest a 55 + community which is where I will be going after the husband retires .

Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,942,174 times
I would never buy a house if I felt that way about the neighbors. IMO the issue is not whether or not this is normal behavior for kids or on moving day, but how the OP feels about it.

When I buy a home, it is with the assumption that I am going to live there for decades. That's a long, long time. Because of that, I have to feel very happy and content with the new home and neighborhood in order to want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home.

I'd suggest withdrawing if you can do so without a loss. Renting for the time being might be a good option, while exploring 55+ communities, or other neighborhoods.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:41 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Can anybody show me where they got the idea that the OP qualifies to live in a 55+ community?

Assumptions run wild. . .

Old 07-29-2016, 10:14 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,808,212 times
The dog alone would be enough reason for me to back out. Then again, I would never think about buying in one of those types of subdivisions. The houses are crammed right next to each other and they tend to attract young families - which means children and generally the likelihood of more noise.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:29 AM

91 posts, read 71,854 times
Well, if I was in the neighbor's position and you decided not to buy there, I'll feel like I dodged a bullet. Rigid and grumpy neighbors is also not my ideal. Complaining about trash bags on moving day? Yes, you need at least 10 acres so you don't see neighbors and their kids.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:47 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Yeah I'm about 20 years short of qualifying to live in a 55+ community. Though if I could sneak into one I certainly would heh.

Our quiet cul-de-sac was back on the other side of the country. Moved for work.

I think we just have a bit of neighbor PTSD after the past year here in a rental house. There are 3 roosters across the street despite them being illegal. Our immediate neighbor has 8 kids who are constantly screaming, literally climbing our fence like we're under siege, and there is one autistic kid who likes to throw rocks at our house and has damaged the siding. There's also an apparent chop shop across the street.

We're coming to terms with what we've encountered at the new place was just typical neighbors. It was just nice seeing the community when it was empty but still think this will be much better than our current situation. Plus we're on the end lot with just the one immediate neighbor to the side and another across from the garage alley access. The new house is much better insulated than this rental too. It closes up and shuts out the outside world nicely. Plus has a/c so no need for open windows.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Before you drive yourself crazy thinking about this, may I suggest you pull out that purchase contract and identify exactly how much your builder gets to keep if you back out if this deal? If it's close to what we would have lost, I'll bet you decide that the neighbors aren't so terrible after all.
This.

There was very little that would have allowed me to back out of my new construction contract without losing my entire deposit.

I suspect in reality, it's possible they might have let me out because prices went up in the time between when I signed and when I closed, and they most likely could have sold pretty easily but I'm glad I didn't have to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate