Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 02:48 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, it was moving day. But I think there's something fundamentally different about someone who stacks trash bags, cardboard boxes, and a pet carrier outside next to the house rather than keeping it in the garage or otherwise out of sight...as the CC&Rs they just signed stipulate. We went back and they've just added to that pile in the narrow space between our houses.

I'd make one more trip to see if things have improved. If they haven't, you might want to consider losing that $2500 and avoid decades of a headache. When I did have neighbors, I had bad ones and I couldn't do anything about it. I hated every day of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 03:16 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Check it out after trash day.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:54 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
Everywhere I've lived has had rude and disrespectful neighbors. Unfortunately even if you didn't see something like this on the day in question, they would eventually exhibit behaviors like this. Even in the country people have problems with neighbors. I did when a kid and all my colleagues who live in the country have had neighbor issues from the first month.

Unfortunately I am starting to accept it as a fact of life. Within reason...At least they apologized about their kids. Sound like terrible parents to me.

I take it you are outside the window of the neighborhood review contingency? Can you use the financing contingency to back out and get your EM back? Just get a new credit card or three between now and closing and I promise you they will not give you a loan.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:00 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
It was the older kid that apologized still haven't met parents. Then heard the younger kid asking what he apologized for. Did try to engage the mother with a friendly wave while in her car but that didn't work.

We have final underwriting approval. So I think all that is left is appraisal and inspection contingency.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
It's not that hard to ignore irritating neighbors. I have one who I've called the cops on a few times. He thinks he's going to be a rock star and he practices drums and screaming in an upstairs bedroom that's only about 8 feet from my kitchen. I can usually tolerate an hour, but if he goes longer than that, I'll text him and tell him he's driving me nuts and if he ignores that, after another hour I'll call the cops. We still get along other than that...I help him fix his air conditioner sometimes and I've picked his kid up from school when he had an emergency or watched the baby when the sitter didn't show up on the neighbor's first day at his new job.

Most of the people in my neighborhood have kids, and almost all of those kids are indoors most of the time. There was a kid who lived behind us who would throw rocks at our house. His mom was a deputy sheriff and she was totally unreasonable and rude when I went to ask her to make the kid stop, so I made a video of him doing it and told her I was going to call the sheriff's department the next time it happened. I've never seen that kid out in his back yard again, which I feel a little bit bad about, but at least the rock throwing stopped.

Anyhow, unless you can afford a chunk of land to isolate yourself from neighbors, you just have to learn to tolerate people. Even if you picked the most wonderful house on the quietest street surrounded by old people who never made a peep, when those old people die and the houses get sold, you never know what kind of people will move in. Or someone will move and rent their house out to an endless string of irritating people.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Quote:
Yeah, it was moving day. But I think there's something fundamentally different about someone who stacks trash bags, cardboard boxes, and a pet carrier outside next to the house rather than keeping it in the garage or otherwise out of sight...as the CC&Rs they just signed stipulate. We went back and they've just added to that pile in the narrow space between our houses.
FWIW, I agree with you wholeheartedly. We live in an HOA subdivision and that would irritate me for sure. Luckily we don't have this problem (for now).

Old 07-29-2016, 05:39 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
I wouldn't judge how the neighbors will be by what is going on on move in day!

Old 07-29-2016, 05:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Come on! Its moving day. They have 2 kids and a dog. Seriously, I think you should consider backing out. Not because they will be bad neighbors but because you don't seem to be able to tolerate normal human behavior. Being a good neighbor means 2 things. It means being respectful of other's and it also means being accepting and forgiving if people aren't "perfect".

Old 07-29-2016, 05:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Kids grow up and/or find other interests...

I've had real bad characters nest door to my second home and the house was task force raided and no longer a problem... they were selling drugs... one was shot and killed.

Just shows the only constant is change

Old 07-29-2016, 07:01 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
The good news is that once the cable is turned on those kids will probably be glued to their XBox. The bad news is the dog. Contrary to a previous post, large barking dogs do not usually live in the house. I can't count the number of times I've been measuring a house under contract and the neighbor's dogs hit the fence barking like crazy. I always wonder, "Why would anyone buy this house with those dogs there?" I have also been hired on a number of occasions to perform "diminished value" appraisals because the neighbor's barking dogs weren't disclosed and the buyer was suing the broker. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate