Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 03:45 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times

Advertisements

So we are shortly closing on some new construction. Walked by the place last night and the new neighbor had moved in. Their kids(maybe 13ish and 9ish) were biking all over our yard which still has relatively fresh sod. Introduced ourselves as neighbors and they apologized. So hopefully that behavior doesn't continue, we have fencing going up anyway. They also had trash bags piled up next to the house(CC&R violation), but it was move-in day. Also had a large barking dog that the kids attempted to quiet just by yelling louder at it from around the corner.

Prior to this we were absolutely gung-ho about moving in but this one encounter is causing some cold feet. Are these hints of disrespectful neighbors and should consider backing out of purchase or are we just overreacting? After all it's just moving day and kids excited to check out their new environment.

Have you ever backed out of a deal over new information you found about neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 03:59 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,141,672 times
You need to decide if the normal activities of living in a neighborhood with other people will bother you. The trespassing, you've already addressed. Dogs barking, kids riding bikes and making noise, and piles of stuff visible on moving day all seem like normal human activities. Is that it? or is there more?

Quote:
Have you ever backed out of a deal over new information you found about neighbors?
There are things about my neighbors I wish I had known about before moving in, like the frequent calls to the sheriff's department to solve their family disputes. Yes, that might have changed our decision.... maybe.

And yes, actually... their dog, now that I think about it. They've had other dogs before... but this new little one makes possibly the most obnoxious noises I've ever heard. This is not an ordinary dog.

Are you still in your neighborhood review or inspection period?

Old 07-28-2016, 04:09 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,655,360 times
I think anytime you live in a subdivision, all of these are possibilities. If they aren't now, they may be in the future as houses sell and new neighbors move in. If this isn't for you, maybe you should reconsider and find a home that's not in a subdivision.
Have you considered a home on more land so that any neighbors may be far enough away as to allow you more privacy?

Btw: I live on 40 acres, no neighbors whatsoever. Husband and I are not the type to live in a subdivision at all. Complete privacy, peace, and quiet.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:09 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Yeah that's it so far. Question is whether that's it, or it's the tip of the iceberg regarding undisciplined children. My parents certainly wouldn't have let me bike through other people's property like that.

Will hopefully run into the parents on one of our walks by there and feel them out with an introduction.

Yeah, acreage would be ideal. But well out of price range even if I did tack on an hour commute.

We just got extremely lucky at our first place I suppose and got spoiled. Cul-de-sac with no children and very quiet neighbors.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 PM

6,822 posts, read 11,556,490 times
The kids aologized without parents' prompting (or at least that's how I read it). That's something.

I'd chalk it up to moving day overstimulation. See how things are in a few days.

If you back out now there is no guarantee somewhere else wouldn't be the same, or worse.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You need to decide if the normal activities of living in a neighborhood with other people will bother you.
I agree.

It's not that they necessarily are undisciplined children. It's just that they are children doing what children (and dogs) do.

Kids don't view the world with the same boundaries that adults do, so they don't always realize they are biking on your property. They sometimes just think about that "cool slope on the sidewalk" etc.

Yes, your lawn is obviously your lawn, but you've asserted yourself and let them know you're coming. Both families will have some adjustments to make. They aren't toddlers, so their outside activities will probably dwindle as they get older (unless one of them loves basketball and dribbles constantly in the driveway ).

Just hope their friends don't have loud cars when they become teenagers!

Old 07-29-2016, 06:16 AM

245 posts, read 292,029 times
I would give them a pass this time. Lots of stress and chaos involved with moving so the parents might have just been in a "do whatever you want just leave me alone so I can unpack" mood and weren't really sure what the kids were doing. Also the dog is probably confused about the move and unsure what it's new territory is.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
If you don't like kids in the neighborhood you need to find a 55 and over community that does not allow them.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Oh, that encounter would definitely have me second guessing a purchase. How far into this deal are you, can you switch locations if it is a neighborhood?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:23 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Before you drive yourself crazy thinking about this, may I suggest you pull out that purchase contract and identify exactly how much your builder gets to keep if you back out if this deal? If it's close to what we would have lost, I'll bet you decide that the neighbors aren't so terrible after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate