Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
In post 28 we are informed that the insurance company is ok with friends staying at the house.
I would read that entire insurance policy and speak to an agent. It's very rare for a home owner's insurance policy to cover a tenant. It will cover guests, but not tenants.....two totally different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 04:08 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I would read that entire insurance policy and speak to an agent. It's very rare for a home owner's insurance policy to cover a tenant. It will cover guests, but not tenants.....two totally different things.
Where in the op or post 28 does it say they will be paying rent. Renumeration, even for utilities, is never mentioned by the op. If it was, I missed it.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Where in the op or post 28 does it say they will be paying rent. Renumeration, even for utilities, is never mentioned by the op. If it was, I missed it.
One doesn't have to pay rent to be considered a tenant under many state laws.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:07 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I don't have it wrong. Don't know where you came up with that.

She said:

[i].......she has friends who have wanted to sell their house for several years but because of its location and what they paid that has been difficult to do

Which has what to do with anything I mentioned?

Now if you want to call her a liar or blame the woman for not going BALLISTIC when the husband said YES ON HIS OWN, then fine. But let's not change what actually happened just to beat up on the wife (further).

She OBVIOUSLY isn't the type to fight her family when they're being obnoxious and disregard her opinions and feelings.
In addition, there is certainly a distinction to be made between "not discussing" a topic and "not really discussing." There's that extra little word in there that drastically changes the meaning. She repeated similar language on post #28. All this means is that she and her husband did discuss the topic and now she's having second thoughts. The last comment from the OP I read indicates the loan of the property will occur and going "BALLISTIC" did not. No one here called the woman a "liar" or changed what actually happened but certainly those who have a tough time with reading comprehension may believe that to be true.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
You should be the one to make the call, it's your house. No, I would not expect the friends to call. Why would they? Daughter asked dad, dad says yes, daughter tells friends it's all cool. Daughter has keys, so I don't see any reason why they would call you or you would expect them to.

The beef s/b with the DH, not the DD. If it were me, I'd make the call & I would rescind the invite your DH offered. I like the idea of blaming the insurance company, if you need someone to blame. Me? I'd have no problem saying there was a sorry, but after further discussion, we've decided it won't work out & you can't use the house. No details or explanations necessary. No way would I allow someone I don't want staying in my vacation home b/c my DH told them they could. I would also be livid with DH & have a lot of discussing to do with him.

You left out a key point or two in the timeline: Daughter asked Mom and Dad; Mom and Dad discussed situation; Dad, without objection from Mom, says yes, daughter tells friends it's all cool, Mom has second thoughts, starts City-data topic.

So, assuming the house is jointly owned by the husband and wife, you believe the wife has more of a right to deny use of the house than the husband has to grant it? Please explain.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The OP said she doesn't trust them. That's all that matters here.
It might matter if the OP wrote it but you just made this part up.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:42 AM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
So, assuming the house is jointly owned by the husband and wife, you believe the wife has more of a right to deny use of the house than the husband has to grant it? Please explain.

Every married man knows this. Ignore that and just watch at what can suddenly be denied on a whim...

Old 10-11-2017, 03:59 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,641 times
Quote:
In post 28 we are informed that the insurance company is ok with friends staying at the house.
Yeah but unfortunately we have many people (including some RE professionals who should know better) just advising to do a formal lease agreement - and with no mention of all of the implications of this (insurance and many other things).

Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
In addition, there is certainly a distinction to be made between "not discussing" a topic and "not really discussing." There's that extra little word in there that drastically changes the meaning. She repeated similar language on post #28. All this means is that she and her husband did discuss the topic and now she's having second thoughts. The last comment from the OP I read indicates the loan of the property will occur and going "BALLISTIC" did not. No one here called the woman a "liar" or changed what actually happened but certainly those who have a tough time with reading comprehension may believe that to be true.
It is quite possible that what OP meant by "not really discussing" was that she and her husband talked about it briefly, but did not come to an agreement on what to do.

Quote:
You left out a key point or two in the timeline: Daughter asked Mom and Dad; Mom and Dad discussed situation; Dad, without objection from Mom, says yes, daughter tells friends it's all cool, Mom has second thoughts, starts City-data topic.

OP never said that she initially had no objection.

You seem determined to bully OP into feeling like she absolutely must let these people stay in her home. She prefers not to. That, and that alone, should settle the matter.

I'm starting to think you are either OPs daughter or the wannabe-freeloading friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate