Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:16 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to do it, don't do it.

End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 07:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
they already have a contract and a closing date. Were the other friends who stayed there while the owner's were in Texas tenants?

As someone else suggested, the daughter moves into mom's, the friends stay at her house. If her friends linger, she's the one with the problem.

Yeah because houses never fall out of escrow

But that's not what is suggested, daughter suggested moms house and dad agreed

Old 10-09-2017, 07:29 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Hilarious! You think that they should have to stay in a hotel as opposed to having access to their own house? No matter who pays for this, it's a ridiculous suggestion.
Thanks for the opinion.

Do you really suppose that if the daughter's friend and/or the daughter were picking up the hotel tab they would be in the mom's house? They'd be out in a NY minute in the hotel themselves. Problem solved.

The deal should have been resolved the day the daughter asked and dad said ok. If the op has been married long enough to have a grown daughter who owns her own home, she should be able to communicate with her own husband, so half of this mess is her own fault. If he thinks it is an ok deal, let him handle it. Let the friends stay at the daughter's.

If I were stuck in that situation, I'd send dh to Florida to deal with it and come myself when daughters friends were gone and the house was in order. Any damage the daughter pays to repair or forfeits from her inheritance. Then I'd tell daughter and hubby to never obligate me or my stuff again without consultation. If they do, I'll see them on the courthouse steps. The op has been way too nice for way too long. They are both running all over her.

Just my two cents

Old 10-09-2017, 07:32 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
None of us know what the guests will do. At the minimum have a lease agreement that sets ground rules and expectations of the tenants behavior and responsibilities. That's what I'm suggesting. Because ultimately you never know and neither you or I can guarantee a happy ending.

For example what happens if the friends do not find a house and OP is coming back home and needs her place back?
They found a house; they have a closing date. They're going to be in the house about three weeks. You'd think the sky was falling here. I would have zero problem lending a house to friends of either of my daughters if they told me the people were trustworthy. It's what friends do.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah because houses never fall out of escrow

But that's not what is suggested, daughter suggested moms house and dad agreed
That's not how it went down. Here's what mom said in a follow-up to her OP:

"Our daughter asked before she offered the house==as I said initially--
She didn't offer it to her friends w/o asking us
My husband said yes w/o really taking time for us to discuss it--

The insurance policy we have allows it--
We asked when we took it out if it would cover having people stay there when we were not--
Since it was a second home and was next door to our daughter's we knew it was likely that our son in law's family or others might stay there--
We just didn't envision having someone there a month

We need to contact the people who will stay there and establish ground rules"

If the Op and the follow-ups were read and comprehended there would be far fewer doomsday scenarios here.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That's not how it went down. Here's what mom said in a follow-up to her OP:

"Our daughter asked before she offered the house==as I said initially--
She didn't offer it to her friends w/o asking us
My husband said yes w/o really taking time for us to discuss it--

The insurance policy we have allows it--
We asked when we took it out if it would cover having people stay there when we were not--
Since it was a second home and was next door to our daughter's we knew it was likely that our son in law's family or others might stay there--
We just didn't envision having someone there a month

We need to contact the people who will stay there and establish ground rules"

If the Op and the follow-ups were read and comprehended there would be far fewer doomsday scenarios here.
You can do whatever you want with your house. It's not a matter of offering someone the use of your house. It's what happens during the use of that house. I'm simply bringing up what can happen. Nobody thinks bad things are gonna happen until they do. Like I said the daughter brought it up at one point and dad said ok.
I understood the posts just fine you don't need to be condescending about it.

Plenty of posts on here about friends moving in "temporarily" or " I was just helping them out" and those friends becoming nightmares. But hey everyone is free to do as they please with their properties

Old 10-09-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
You can do whatever you want with your house. It's not a matter of offering someone the use of your house. It's what happens during the use of that house. I'm simply bringing up what can happen. Nobody thinks bad things are gonna happen until they do. Like I said the daughter brought it up at one point and dad said ok.
I understood the posts just fine you don't need to be condescending about it.

Plenty of posts on here about friends moving in "temporarily" or " I was just helping them out" and those friends becoming nightmares. But hey everyone is free to do as they please with their properties
Not being condescending, simply correcting the "daughter suggested moms house and dad agreed" line.

In reality, daughter discussed the situation with both parents, who own the house together. Parents discussed it and Dad told the daughter it would be okay for them to stay in the house for a short while.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:05 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Thanks for the opinion.

Do you really suppose that if the daughter's friend and/or the daughter were picking up the hotel tab they would be in the mom's house? They'd be out in a NY minute in the hotel themselves. Problem solved.

The deal should have been resolved the day the daughter asked and dad said ok. If the op has been married long enough to have a grown daughter who owns her own home, she should be able to communicate with her own husband, so half of this mess is her own fault. If he thinks it is an ok deal, let him handle it. Let the friends stay at the daughter's.

If I were stuck in that situation, I'd send dh to Florida to deal with it and come myself when daughters friends were gone and the house was in order. Any damage the daughter pays to repair or forfeits from her inheritance. Then I'd tell daughter and hubby to never obligate me or my stuff again without consultation. If they do, I'll see them on the courthouse steps. The op has been way too nice for way too long. They are both running all over her.

Just my two cents
I don't think they'd be paying for anything, let alone a hotel tab. I wouldn't let it be my problem in the first place.

As I said in a previous post, "I wouldn't worry about who is going to make the first contact. That would be ME - I would be calling them right now and saying, "Sorry, not sorry, but this is NOT going to happen. You are going to have to find another place to stay."

End of story."

Old 10-09-2017, 09:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
They found a house; they have a closing date. They're going to be in the house about three weeks. You'd think the sky was falling here. I would have zero problem lending a house to friends of either of my daughters if they told me the people were trustworthy. It's what friends do.
Closings are delayed all the time. Closings fall apart all the time. A house isn't sold until closing has occurred and the sale has been recorded with the county/town. I've worked in property management and have done many, many evictions. None went quickly nor cheaply. Each one was a royal pain in the butt!

Old 10-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Closings are delayed all the time. Closings fall apart all the time. A house isn't sold until closing has occurred and the sale has been recorded with the county/town. I've worked in property management and have done many, many evictions. None went quickly nor cheaply. Each one was a royal pain in the butt!
Yeah, so in that case other arrangements get made. That happens by all the parties in the matter being on the same page and having an understanding and an agreement. There is no reason to believe that among this small group of friends and family that any possible problems could not be dealt with reasonably and responsibly. The problem here is that one party, having been consulted prior to a decision being made, is now second-guessing that decision. But not as much as some commenting here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate