Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 04:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Some people are making mountains out of mole hills. These daughter's friends are houseguest, not tenants.

Write down your conditions regarding any pet damage, etc. for your daughter to give to them and then they call you. The very least they can do is have professional cleaners in after they are out and leave the frig stocked and a few bottles of wine. They are after all not making a house payment on their sold and closed house.

If they are not out by the time you arrive, you go to a hotel and they and your daughter pay.
Legally false.

Also LOL they'll hire professional cleaners? If they were THAT Type, they'd have contacted these people already and assuaged any concerns they had.

But you wanna pretend they're houseguests? Ok.

In Florida, evicting unwelcome guest is no simple matter

I would NOT be going to any hotel HA. I'd be MOVING INTO MY OWN HOUSE and making THEIR lives MISERABLE.

Eat all the food, stay in the bathroom, blast loud music, let the hot water run out, turn off the cable tv, turn off the AC, constantly TALK to them and drive them nuts, remove most light bulbs....there's a million things I can think of.

Let them move next door to the daughter's.

And specifically HOW to make the daughter "pay" for the hotel? Statistically unlikely. And you're assuming the OP has an extra $100 per day to put out for that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 06:17 AM

12,843 posts, read 869,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Our daughter asked before she offered the house==as I said initially--
She didn't offer it to her friends w/o asking us
My husband said yes w/o really taking time for us to discuss it--

The insurance policy we have allows it--
We asked when we took it out if it would cover having people stay there when we were not--
Since it was a second home and was next door to our daughter's we knew it was likely that our son in law's family or others might stay there--
We just didn't envision having someone there a month

We need to contact the people who will stay there and establish ground rules
^^^ OP's last post #28
Umm... yeah. The OP hasn't come back here for three days and then she only posted twice. But hey, have at it.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 AM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times
The op has vanished.

Are they paying rent? What is a tenant?

None of us knows anything about these sellers except they are friends with the daughter and the mom does not care for the man. That's it.

Anything said by any of us is speculation. We can ASSume they are trash or that they are responsible people. My kids would not offer my home to anyone they thought would not be responsible.

It is sad that our culture assumes the worst about everybody.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:49 AM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Totally agree. They need a security deposit and a lease agreement.
Yup. Otherwise I'm sure they can find a nice motel to stay in.

Curious. Did they ask your daughter, or did she make the offer?

Either way, legalities need to be tied up tightly.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,672,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have to agree: Until you've been a landlord and talked to other landlords, you probably don't appreciate the scope of expense, trouble and damage that renters (oh excuse me, guests) can cause.

But that's the OP's problem now. Avoiding conflict always comes with a cost.
Your last sentence particularly contains true words of wisdom.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:36 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,430 times
You should be the one to make the call, it's your house. No, I would not expect the friends to call. Why would they? Daughter asked dad, dad says yes, daughter tells friends it's all cool. Daughter has keys, so I don't see any reason why they would call you or you would expect them to.

The beef s/b with the DH, not the DD. If it were me, I'd make the call & I would rescind the invite your DH offered. I like the idea of blaming the insurance company, if you need someone to blame. Me? I'd have no problem saying there was a sorry, but after further discussion, we've decided it won't work out & you can't use the house. No details or explanations necessary. No way would I allow someone I don't want staying in my vacation home b/c my DH told them they could. I would also be livid with DH & have a lot of discussing to do with him.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:42 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My husband said yes--without really discussing it with me---making me the bad guy if I tried to back out
Our daughter called yesterday...She even offered to let them stay longer if they needed to paint or something in the new house--without checking with us...
I am getting a little ticked off-

I'd be livid, and my daughter would hear about it from me, as well as my husband, who is like your husband and the "nice guy" all the time, and people have a tendency to use him.

I would tell my daughter the deal is off and her little friends can stay where they are now, like most responsible mature people who are selling their home. They should have made it contingent on buying a new one and had time to stay in their own place until they can move in to the new one, or they can stay at your daughter's house, or in a hotel room.

I would not have people staying in my house for a month or more. And my daughter better know now she will NEVER assume something is okay with me unless she asks ME ever again.

I have no problem being the bad guy -- it keeps people from doing crap like this.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If you are going to do it I would GET A SIGNED LEASE AGREEMENT at the minimum. Even if they live there for free (why would you agree to that is beyond me) get a signed agreement. Month to month only. It will spell out what is expected from everyone. Because as soon as they move in YOU are now a landlord and fall under every law you must follow for your state. Even if it's free rent you are their landlord.

Have you thought what happens and who pays
If they break something
If they leave the house filthy
The utilities
Maintenance
City fines
Your home insurance is now a coverage issue as it's a homeowners policy but it's used as a rental. You need rental insurance policy or you risk not having coverage if something happens, like a fire someone trips and falls and sues. And I guarantee a insurance company will weasel out if paying if they can
(You still have have maintenance, utilities, taxes and liabilities for the property etc to pay)
What if they dont find a house for 3-6-12 months. Hell theire getting FREE living quarters. They won't be in a hurry. People get complacent pretty quickly. If you do this I would charge rent for sure. N fact it would be something to bring up. Hey you wanted to move in let's talk about rent payment. They just sold a house? They can pay rent like everyone else.

I would run away from this deal as fast as I could. You can hate me all you want. Back out now while you can. Stop worrying about being made "the bad guy". You're out of your mind if you go through with this with no agreement, rules and money paid to you.
As usual, Electrician4you is THE voice of reason when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Bravo.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
They found a house; they have a closing date. They're going to be in the house about three weeks. You'd think the sky was falling here. I would have zero problem lending a house to friends of either of my daughters if they told me the people were trustworthy. It's what friends do.
The OP said she doesn't trust them. That's all that matters here.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:13 PM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times
In post 28 we are informed that the insurance company is ok with friends staying at the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate