Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 07:41 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxphun View Post
While I'm not antisocial at all - quite the opposite actually - one of the reasons I fell for this particular property was the serene peace and quite it offers, while only being a 15 minute drive to the Phoenix metropolitan area (30 minutes to downtown Phoenix). Best of both worlds.

I took all of these photos while standing on the property I started this thread about. All of the land in these photos is mountain preserve and can never be developed. Uh,oh... I may be talking myself out of selling.
This is just gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 12:16 PM

400 posts, read 573,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
As someone who lives on a largish rural parcel, I will say what I think is true:

Half the people who live out in the country are there for the peace and quiet.
The other half wouldn't be tolerated in town.

Which you are, and which you live next to, can make all the difference in the quality of your experience.
As someone who also lives on a rural parcel and has a difficult neighbor, I'd agree. That is so true.

Back to the OP. You can also buy game cameras that operate on the cellular network and text you a picture as soon as they are taken. I recently had to employ the game camera strategy, and the pics I got were invaluable in the conversation I had to have with my neighbor

Last edited by TWG1572; 10-26-2017 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 01:24 PM

47 posts, read 65,805 times
As a lover of nature, I entirely agree with the comments on preserving this beautiful land.

When I took the photos above, I was standing where the rear deck of our house would have been had we ever built on this property. 30 feet in front of me is the northernmost boundary of the Estrella Mountain Wilderness. This mountain range runs 24 miles from where I was standing to its southern edge and is entirely designated as preserve land - none of the land you see in those photos can be built on.

I'm glad for that on a level much greater than the value its views bring to this property.

Last edited by phxphun; 10-26-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 01:47 PM

898 posts, read 598,272 times
A letter to this "neighbor" from your attorney warning of litigation may stop the issues.

And if you go with the game camera route, you need TWO. One game camera watching your sign, and another camera watching the camera watching the sign. Ask any deer hunter and they will have either had their cameras stolen, or know somebody who has. There is a company, Camlockbox, that makes security boxes for the cameras and you use it with a cable lock. You screw the box into the tree, insert the camera (after you turn it on), then put on the front cover and lock it up with the cable.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
You can also buy game cameras that operate on the cellular network and text you a picture as soon as they are taken.
Thank you for the timely information, TWG1572. I plan to pick a camera up this weekend on my way to install new signs. This may be a good option.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
A letter to this "neighbor" from your attorney warning of litigation may stop the issues.

And if you go with the game camera route, you need TWO. One game camera watching your sign, and another camera watching the camera watching the sign.
Thank you, JimG2. I hadn't thought of a second camera and may do that. I had thought of possibly mounting the camera inside a fake landscape rock to conceal it. The area out by the road is rocky, it may blend in well.

The problem I have with taking any action, even just a letter from my attorney, is the lack of proof. It may be something I have to do at some point though.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:08 PM

898 posts, read 598,272 times
A friend of mine had a trail cam in a security box on private property. The poacher came back with a big hammer or axe and smashed it open and took the camera....and the evidence.

The infra-red feature on most of the cameras makes a red flash in the dark...... I was looking at one today, 14mp...gotta go at least 12mp, and it had "black IR" listed on the package....so maybe it doesn't give the red flash? A Wildlife Innovations unit.....

I got a great price on two bottles of deer pee though. and I think I get a mail in rebate....

Old 10-26-2017, 03:12 PM

400 posts, read 573,821 times
I like the two prong strategy suggested earlier in the thread. 1) Approach neighbor. Tell him you've noticed he keeps an eye on things and appreciate it. And mention that your are concerned about your signs disappearing so you've hidden a couple game cams on your property that will take and instantly send pictures of anyone near your sign to you. 2) Install game cam(s). Decide if you actually want to spend the $$ for a networked camera, or buy a couple cheaper ones.

If it's not him, you run less risk of offending him. And will appeal to his clearly evident "protective" tendencies. If it is him, odds are he's not going near that sign. Unless he does it at night, with a ghillie suit on.

In my case, I screwed an extra wireless router antenna into the side of my game camera. It looks the part of a networked camera, without the extra cost.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:48 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You need a local agent to help you sell
and take on this sort of petty sign nonsense.
And a lawyer.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:21 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Yes, the black infrared sensor is the one to get. Worked pretty well for me to make an ID...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate