Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM

56 posts, read 155,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Oh, HGTV is where you get your misinformation. That explains a lot. Go back and look at some of the HGTV discussions on past threads here.

Dat's rite, nothin' in da south but tractors cloggin' up dat traffic on dat newfangled intrastate thing they bilt, cow feelds so we can tip 'em ova at nite fo some entuhtainment, home grown tobaccy, sippin whiskey, outhouses, and dile up internet. Just da way we lak it, thankee very much. We done wanna change so doesn't you go thankin about retirin' round heh or nuthin'.
LOL! Got's me a beer, ofah heah...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I see it dropping here in Chicago for at least 12 months.
I am in the Chicagoland area and my take is it all depends.....on the county, the township, neighborhood, the block and even the building.

Generally speaking, condos are taking a serious pounding in many areas and yet, condos in small, self-managed ( low assessment) buildings continue to sell well.

Another trend I am seeing is increasing buyer awareness of property taxes. I work primarily in a single zip code, 100 square mile area that covers 4 counties ( Cook, Lake, Kane and Mc Henry) and multiple townships. A property in Cook Cty. is more likely going to hold its value better and sell for more, than in the other counties, all things being equal, becasue of property taxes.

There are outlying suburbs where homes have not appreciated at all ,in the past 5 years because of property taxes.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:25 PM

56 posts, read 155,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
The median price of a home sold in the San Jose, CA market went up 7% last year, the median price in Stockton, CA just 60 miles away dropped about 18%.

Real estate is local, and any attempt to paint with a broad brush is likely to get a whole lot of paint where it doesn't belong.
Yup. If you buy quality, generally speaking - it sells.

Location, location.... (cough... cough.. no, really).

Show up with cash.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
In none of the southern states (GA, TN, MS, LA) do I ever recall seeing any 50-100% appreciation. In fact, I live in GA, and our historical appreciation for our area is a modest 2-4%/yearly.
No doubt our prices will drop some, but not to that significant number.
Agree. I've been watching the ATL market and prices really haven't dropped much at all; at least not the area I'm looking at.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspur_321 View Post
LOL! Got's me a beer, ofah heah...

Fridee nite, got me a pabst blue ribbon and da wife, she's got her a box o da finest wine dey had at da general sto'. Weez celebratin' sumptin fierce tuhnite!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 PM

395 posts, read 490,782 times
Quote:
OMG, Get a grip man, it's entertainment.

You were doing better not to disclose your "source."
I dunno...all those home owners sure look suprise, happy and sh*t to me when those realturds quoted them those inflated prices. Don't tell me the home owners were on it too? Y don't u tell that to some of these owners? I have my other sources too. I will post some hard fact links tomorrow. Too tire to look for those link.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 04-04-2008 at 10:06 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 10:09 PM

185 posts, read 967,516 times
Quote:
In none of the southern states (GA, TN, MS, LA) do I ever recall seeing any 50-100% appreciation. In fact, I live in GA, and our historical appreciation for our area is a modest 2-4%/yearly.
Although your historical appreciation was 2-4%/yearly we must keep in mind that inflation averages 3.5% (and is considerably higher currently). Your real appreciation was probably flat to 0.5% per year. Memphis, TN's historical appreciation was a paltry 4.1% average over the past decade. Factor in inflation and we had very little real appreciation as well.

Logic dictates that the SE (excluding FL), will not receive a 25-50% haircut unless we go into an extremely deep National depression. Even most analysts predict these areas to remain steadfast through stagflation with potential for higher home prices thanks to inflation. Regardless, facts speak even louder than logic. Home prices in Dallas, Houston, and Memphis are making new 52 week highs.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:22 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,318 times
Default mr hoffman

Mr. Hoffman cracks me up. I agree manhattan isn't going to see declines like much of the rest of country but I am tired of the "my neighborhood is better than your neighborhood" sh#@ some of you are engaging in. This is not why I started this thread. It was to combat koolaid drinking realtors who always think now is the best time to buy.

In my opinion now is not the time to buy unless you find your dream home and are going to stay put 10 years. For inmvestors such as myself we will make our money in foreclosures and short sales, but I expect the overall market to decline for the next 12-18 months. After which will be a better time to buy for most buyers.

But, seriously folks, stop with the my neighborhood is better than yours crap.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:10 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Quote:
Mr. Hoffman cracks me up. I agree manhattan isn't going to see declines like much of the rest of country but I am tired of the "my neighborhood is better than your neighborhood" sh#@ some of you are engaging in. This is not why I started this thread. It was to combat koolaid drinking realtors who always think now is the best time to buy.

In my opinion now is not the time to buy unless you find your dream home and are going to stay put 10 years. For inmvestors such as myself we will make our money in foreclosures and short sales, but I expect the overall market to decline for the next 12-18 months. After which will be a better time to buy for most buyers.

That's nothing. Go to the Raleigh/Durham/CH/Cary thread and claim that neighborhood doesn't mean squat in the national housing bubble. Interestingly enough, most who try often get that friendly little moniker "Not a member" after about a day or two, even with decent reputation and a track record of helpful postings. I am ashamed at live in the same region as such bitter and childish homeowners.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:19 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,647 times
Quote:

I don't think anyone stated their neighborhood is better than anyone else's. Vincent seems to think everyone in the US wants to be in Manhattan and called for ridiculous price drops to every other region.

Personally, I think it IS a good time to buy. But I am not an INVESTOR, nor am I a realtor. I am average Joanne Blow, who will soon be looking for another home for my family. I'm not a speculator. If I get a good deal, great. I don't plan on sucking out anyone's eyeballs to get a steal. What you have to understand is this: if people need homes, they will buy. I don't have 12-18 months to wait out this market by renting, and most people I know with families can't afford that time, either.

And I can tell you prices will never get (aside from foreclosures, etc only) as low as Vincent states and here's why:

When houses start dropping, people start buying. Even us non-investors know a good deal when we see one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate