Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 01:42 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times

Advertisements

Perhaps we need to define "common".

A particular place doesn't leak every week. But plumbing is indeed an occupation where it's not hard to stay busy with calls. Most of us have had to call one at some point. Leaks do happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 02:30 PM

13,717 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

A particular place doesn't leak every week. But plumbing is indeed an occupation where it's not hard to stay busy with calls. Most of us have had to call one at some point. Leaks do happen.
Right and another inspection by the OP would have helped determine if the repair was done proper and were there any other potential piping issues.

Suddenly finding a hole in the wall and being told there was a pipe leak is something I would be very concerned with.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:49 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:

Situational awareness

Old 07-05-2019, 02:56 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Situational awareness
I am on my 6th or 7th water heater. They all failed by leaking. You could I suppose replace before end of life. But that probably costs you a good bit. Depending on which one you may have a life of 10 to 15 years. And on some attention to proper maintenance and replacing sacrificial anodes might double the life compared to ignoring that.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:51 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
215 posts later the only reason to believe the leak came from plumbing is because somebody trying to get a sale completed said so. They also said there was no damage to anything structural and no mold issues.

As a buyer, I'd want more.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:34 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
215 posts later the only reason to believe the leak came from plumbing is because somebody trying to get a sale completed said so. They also said there was no damage to anything structural and no mold issues.

As a buyer, I'd want more.
Well if its coming thru the floor of the 1st story, and a 2nd story is above it, then, yeah, its a plumbing leak. Unless the room above it is flooded it sure isnt a roof leak.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:23 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Well if its coming thru the floor of the 1st story, and a 2nd story is above it, then, yeah, its a plumbing leak. Unless the room above it is flooded it sure isnt a roof leak.
You're the only one certain of that.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:26 PM

Kokonutty, why are you hanging on to the idea that it's the roof? You speak of lack of certainty, but there's absolutely no evidence, or even suspicion by the OP who has actually seen the house, for it being a roof leak.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:46 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Why would you think it damaged a whole room sized area? The leak looks exactly like he said it would look, right down to the wet line that goes to a vent. They've cut a hole in the sheetrock, and they didn't get the whole damaged area, and they sealed it up before anyone could look at it to see if the leak was fixed and the area dried out. That's what bothered him. That should not have happened!

FWIW, I'm not highly confident that this repair as it looks in the pictures is going to look good when textured and painted. I'm skeptical, I think it's going to be pretty obvious.
A good painter can get this near perfect. The ceiling is the type of knock down plaster ceiling we have in our condos and a neighbors unit had a leak after new roofs and you cannot tell where the leak was. It was a while after the fix before the ceiling repair was done but as I said it is perfect. In the OP's case it would have been better for them to have told the buyer before anything was done. I do not know, however, what the seller may have gone through previously with the buyer(OP). Perhaps OP appeared particularly skittish and the seller thought to do the fix, get it repaired and not muddy the waters. OP has over reacted but his demeanor through the whole process may be the reason.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:52 PM

It's not plaster, it's sheetrock with texture. Everything about whether the repair will show depends on whoever applies the texture to the repair. Getting that right is not easy, it's an art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate