Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 08:25 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

So many special snowflakes today want to price homes by $/sq foot.
A misrepresented total (intentional or not) distorts the selling process and even the market.
This will show up especially when a neighbor uses the CORRECT number.

The so called pro's in the business know all this and why/how THAT agent came up with their number.
Promoting clarity and consistency really isn't in their interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 09:10 AM

81 posts, read 245,858 times
I don't now if some of you didn't bother reading my posts, or you're projecting because you don't want to be caught in your own nefarious business. The street has 2 floorplans. Four of the houses were sold 5 years ago with 3875 sq ft, the rest 4220 and 4130. The entire house is finished including the basement so there was no adding on square footage. The lots are postage stamps. An appraisal does not happen automatically for a sale, nor do I believe an appraiser automatically measures the house. The numbers in the county database are incorrect. I do plan on telling the other neighbors, if for no other reason, because they have 3 years of tax refund coming back to them, if they wish. As for the new owners of the house just sold, I'll tell them too and maybe they'll be kinda pissed that nobody told them before the sale went through when they knew there was this mistake. Yes, the realtor has her ass covered legally but her integrity is in the toilet.

Also, nobody has answered my question about how the data in a sold listing from 5 years ago can be altered. This is what I'm most curious about at this point. I told the realtor about the square footage goof and then she, or someone, changed the square footage on the original listing, not the current listing. Any realtors out there care to weigh in? Have you seen this happen before?

Old 05-13-2021, 09:27 AM

306 posts, read 203,389 times
This really does sounds like you should mind your own business. If it concerns you, get your house measured. I don't know why you think it's your place to get involved.

Pricing by sq ft makes more sense in condos and small apartments. I'm buying a new construction house, and I'm not even sure what the exact square footage is. The appraisal is in line with what we're paying, and I like the house and feel that it's good value.

To be honest, if I was a potential buyer and a neighbor started trying to warn me about suspect sq ft in the MLS listing, I would be way more concerned about living next to that person who thinks that is appropriate than any sq ft error.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
I don't now if some of you didn't bother reading my posts, or you're projecting because you don't want to be caught in your own nefarious business. The street has 2 floorplans. Four of the houses were sold 5 years ago with 3875 sq ft, the rest 4220 and 4130. The entire house is finished including the basement so there was no adding on square footage. The lots are postage stamps. An appraisal does not happen automatically for a sale, nor do I believe an appraiser automatically measures the house. The numbers in the county database are incorrect. I do plan on telling the other neighbors, if for no other reason, because they have 3 years of tax refund coming back to them, if they wish. As for the new owners of the house just sold, I'll tell them too and maybe they'll be kinda pissed that nobody told them before the sale went through when they knew there was this mistake. Yes, the realtor has her ass covered legally but her integrity is in the toilet.

Also, nobody has answered my question about how the data in a sold listing from 5 years ago can be altered. This is what I'm most curious about at this point. I told the realtor about the square footage goof and then she, or someone, changed the square footage on the original listing, not the current listing. Any realtors out there care to weigh in? Have you seen this happen before?

More yada yada yada. I don't have any business, nefarious or otherwise. Don't project onto others.

Set up a lemonade stand to go with your righteous indignation. That way you can give your neighbors something of value. Did you actually say "toilet"?

Last edited by Lillie767; 05-13-2021 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 10:14 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:

I seriously doubt that there will be any tax refunds. Property assessments that are changed due to appeal are usually prospective from the appeal, if the info is incorrect.

Also, there will be an appraisal if the buyer is getting a mortgage to buy. An appraiser may measure or partially measure, or may rely on other information such as info from the realtor or county records.

Appeal your own tax assessment based an incorrect square footage and stop worrying about what other homeowners are doing about their own homes.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:24 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:

You should really mind your own business.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:28 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
yada yada yada.

No one is overpaying if they have seen the house. They are not "paying for more house than they are getting". They are paying for exactly what they saw and inspected. People don't buy houses by the square foot. They buy rooms and a lifestyle.

I couldn't even tell you exactly how many square feet are in my house. I know approximately. I looked at the rooms and they seemed ok - large enough for what I needed. Unless and until flooring is being put down, exact measurements are really not needed.

Gee, did you carefully measure the plot of land? You may be getting cheated there also.

Here's to truth, justice, and the American Way!! Maybe you can make a citizen's arrest if you are so convinced a crime of the highest order has been committed.

Good luck in your quest for justice for the toiling people who have been abused by the real estate agents, local town officials, and a conspiracy of homeowners.
^^^ This. We didn't look or buy our current house because it was a certain number of square feet. It had the number of bedrooms/bathrooms and neighborhood we wanted.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:38 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Quote:

There will be NO REFUND. If anything changes in taxes, it will be moving forward. No county or town that I am aware of is going to go backwards in time and figure out they owe you a few hundred dollars in order to refund you 3 years worth of taxes.

I know because we were there. Same issue, but lot size was off. It was fixed in the town data, but there was no refund. And no, I didn't run out and tell all the neighbors to check their lot sizes. MYOB is right.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:42 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Default Going the wrong way.

It was so boring until this thread heated up. I'm glad the OP is adamant that she is right and we are all wrong. I wonder if she ever feels like she's in the red car in the picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Square footage incorrect on house for sale down the street-lady-driver-01.jpg  

Old 05-13-2021, 12:08 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It was so boring until this thread heated up. I'm glad the OP is adamant that she is right and we are all wrong. I wonder if she ever feels like she's in the red car in the picture attached.
It reminds me of a train wreck waiting to happen. I love the picture you posted. As far as the OP is concerned, the entire forum community is wrong and she is right. Makes me wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate