Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 07:47 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,779 times

Advertisements

I won’t look at a home if it doesn’t look good, I don’t care about a bargain I want a nice h9me, not one I have to spend time fixing it up. I don’t want to have to clean someone else’s mess. So clean your home keep it in order if your trying to sell it, Usually I will buy new construction because I like the cleanliness of it. Or I will have a home built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 09:31 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
I won’t look at a home if it doesn’t look good, I don’t care about a bargain I want a nice h9me, not one I have to spend time fixing it up. I don’t want to have to clean someone else’s mess. So clean your home keep it in order if your trying to sell it, Usually I will buy new construction because I like the cleanliness of it. Or I will have a home built.
New construction clean? I'll never forget buying a brand new house and all the dust that came into it from the yards which weren't landscaped, finding flies stuck in the new paint, and having to spend money and time to install window coverings. Then, when putting in two lawns ourselves, finding shoes and other things in the newly turned over soil. On the other hand, I took pictures of the house being built and know where all the studs, etc. are located and that the wood used to build this house was top quality, something you are unlikely to find nowadays, even in mansions. The next buyer of this house will benefit from our labor, and I will most likely not buy in a new subdivision.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:15 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjean View Post
I am looking to move to another state. Minnesota to Arkansas. I am finding the same issue as when I moved from Oklahoma to Minnesota. Awful listings. Moving to another state, I rely a lot on online listings and it troubles me seeing pictures that turn me off on a home.

One listing included a picture of a stop sign and close up shots of the current owner's nick knacks. Many showcase decor that would not come with the house. So often the current owners have counters full of dirty dishes and trash. Bedrooms full of piles of dirty laundry. A few were obvious hoarders. Do they let people come and see the home when it is in this condition?

Do realtors not require people to clean up a little before they come to photograph the home? I don't understand the reasoning for so many pictures that do not showcase the home. I had thought about getting into realty but now I wonder, is it poor jobs of the realtor or are these most likely supplied from the seller and realtors are just stuck with it?
They called in sick on the day they covered 'staging.'

P.S. I'd probably at least go look at a house with bad pictures if I thought it had potential. You kinda have to do that in person IMO.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:09 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times
Being able to look past the owner's clutter, collections of silly stuff or really bad paint choices is critical in landing a good house for a good price. Too many people will see something they don't like that's an easy fix and dismiss things out of hand. That's a Good Thing for those of us that can see past it.

Distortion of the images is a very common issue in real estate photography, as extreme wide angle lenses are often used to show a whole room in one shot as well as to take advantage of the ability to make the space appear larger. It becomes pretty obvious after you look at a bunch of listings, and is something you can easily take into consideration when scrutinizing a listing. Being able to get the whole room in single shot for a bedroom that's 9'x10' requires some serious photographic effort.

RM

Old 07-11-2021, 10:08 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
I looked at this house a couple years ago as a foreclosure, then it got flipped and it still needed "too much" to get it back to awesome.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M62029-88530

Now they want 5mm and the pics are whacky........look at #77. Then notice what appears to be a Christmas tree in the house (in July???). House is furnished but it looks like a lottery winner did it

Old 07-11-2021, 10:21 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I looked at this house a couple years ago as a foreclosure, then it got flipped and it still needed "too much" to get it back to awesome.

Now they want 5mm and the pics are whacky........look at #77. Then notice what appears to be a Christmas tree in the house (in July???). House is furnished but it looks like a lottery winner did it
Well if you’re going to show 111 pictures why not show the Christmas tree in July? You can show it in all four seasons. 111 is too many pictures of any place… This listing is screaming for an editor. Nevertheless this is obviously a beautiful place... not in the same category as entry-level rentals with messy tenants the OP is weeding through. It is beautifully photographed... artistically at this price range, tastes will vary! As they should!

Old 07-11-2021, 11:37 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
You aren't going to find many real estate agents who will spend their time deep cleaning a slob's house in order to get pictures. If the client won't clean, there is no way to force him to clean.

I assume that when I see those filthy photos with piled up garbage that the house is occupied by a tenant who is trying to prevent the sale of the house. Although it is possible that the seller occupies the house and is a doper or a drunk.

On the plus side for it, few people want to buy that house, so give a careful look and if all it needs is cleaning, new paint and new flooring so that it doesn't cost too much to make it habitable, those trashy houses can often be purchased for a low price. There is little competition for them because so many buyers only want move-in ready.

Only slightly off topic, my agent once went over and picked up and mowed and trimmed three lawns so she could get good photos of the front of a zero lot line listing. The listing looked nice but within 24 hours the two neighbor houses had cluttered lawns and a week later, those other lawns were overdue for mowing which didn't get done.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:53 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Nothing wrong with that. If I had $5 million and wanted house in Florida that had its own boat house, I'd snap that one up, mostly just because of the shower.

Why should I care about the furnishings? Those leave with the seller and aren't my problem. The house is clean and not a lot of clutter considering the size of it. Not my style of decorating so I wouldn't hire their decorator to redo it after I bought it, but for someone else's style, I've seen a lot worse.

You could put it in the offer: a contingency that the Christmas tree would have to be gone at close of escrow. Actually, that's one of things I look for when I am house shopping. Where does the Christmas tree go? Many houses don't have a good place to put one.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:10 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You aren't going to find many real estate agents who will spend their time deep cleaning a slob's house in order to get pictures. If the client won't clean, there is no way to force him to clean.
And if you have to coerce them to clean for pictures, it's not likely they'll bother to clean every day before showings. I'd rather buyers go in knowing exactly what they should expect to see when they get there. Having buyers surprised to find a mess they didn't expect does not sell properties.

And you're right. Many buyers will be turned off, leaving potential for the right buyer to make a deal.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:28 PM

57 posts, read 76,256 times
My friend in California was told she had to put so much money into the house which was already pretty decent before it would sell. She had to paint and replace one room's older carpet. She had to remove all personal items such as things on the fridge and make sure the dishes were clean and put away and such before they would come to take pictures. But for her it was good, the small updates made the house list for much higher. Her house didn't need repairs just a sprucing up. I can get past ugly painted walls and such. Some listings do state there is a tenant so I know they are rentals and sadly will prob trash the place when it sells.

I confess I lean towards the houses that have minimal stuff out because I can picture my own stuff there better. General shots of a room with a little clutter isn't so bad but if it looks like something off Hoarders, I feel so bad for the agent trying to do showings. And pictures of a stop sign that when I did the google street view is 7 houses down from the intersection on a cul-de-sac seems a bit weird.

I have a few places I keep looking at online wondering why they haven't sold while others are zapped up right away. Should you avoid places that have been on the market with no pending offers for over 100 days? Pictures look decent enough, but nobody seems to want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate