Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:49 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times

Advertisements

I have spiced maple cabinets, corian and black appliances. In my previous home I had white cabinets, white appliances and tile counters. Having had experience with both, my opinion is that I LOVE the maple cabinets and black appliances. I would never want white again. Although I love my corian, I also like the rich look of granite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 04:30 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
>•Granite is so yesterday. When it's the expected material for countertops in mid-priced rentals, the wow factor is zero. The newest countertops are made from quartz surfacing, recycled glass, cement or paper-based products. Butcher block also is making a comeback.

•Stainless-steel appliances are passé too, replaced with appliances with built-in panels to mimic the cabinetry. And those maple cabinets you picked out to complement the green-and-black-flecked granite counters? Those are out, too. White kitchens are making a serious comeback.<

Mid priced? In the 5th avenue sense of the word? Bullpoop.
quartz surfacing. AKA fake granite. Looks nice and is more consistent. And more money.
recycled glass. Kind of looks like fake granite.
cement. Looks like a driveway.
paper-based products. Looks like the cement above. IE looks like trendy crap.

Stainless-steel appliances are passé too. Hmmm guess Ill hafta tell the 30% of fridge buyers I sell SS to they are passe.

replaced with appliances with built-in panels to mimic the cabinetry. Turn your $1500 fridge and double it again. Oh and as a bonus you get 95% fewer choices.

And those maple cabinets you picked out to complement the green-and-black-flecked granite counters? Those are out, too. White kitchens are making a serious comeback.

Maple is nice. I dont mind white if done right but some look like a 1950s sci fi movie.

Overall. This is a trend riding a trend for the uber trendy with money to burn. But for all you rich SOBs with 2MM budgets. Have at it.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
Stainless steel is too difficult to maintain. White cabinets yuck, love wood, any type. And Formica is the easiest cheapest way to totally change a kitchen!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Just spotted this article in the Chicago Tribune. This happened a lot faster than expected. Potential sellers-- please reconsider signing a check to install granite and stainless because it's a "must have:
This is an article designed to pump up sales for counter top and appliance manufacturers. Who ever would have guessed that remodeling companies would say that you should remodel? I imagine you'll see lots of articles like this which coincided with their trade industry show. Don't let out of work contractors fishing for business convince you that your 2 year old kitchen needs to be redone.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,325,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Stainless steel is too difficult to maintain. White cabinets yuck, love wood, any type. And Formica is the easiest cheapest way to totally change a kitchen!
I am staff. I clean OP houses for $. Ive seen it all and cleaned it all. Cleaning your house has taught me what I DONT want in my house.

One thing I cant fathom is why anyone with kids would want high maintenance surfaces like stainless and white cabinets. Kids touch things. Constantly. I think its their job. And dont get me started on laminate floors. I can clean your stuff so it looks like it just came out of the box. But the important question is how long will it stay that way after I leave..

Im not a white cabinets person myself but they look okay. When theyre clean. Every house I clean that has them I have to wash down ALL the cupboards EVERY time I clean. Do I want to do this at home . HELL NO.

I cant give style advice on new kitchesn cause Im an old house person. I dont care for sleek and shiney. I like "character". and "patina". I have formica counters myself cause thats what I can afford right now. Ive cleaned/seen most of the other types tho.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 AM

192 posts, read 721,817 times
That article needs to be put into some serious perspective. Granite and SS are Passe for the 1% of America that can afford to remodel to keep up with changing trends, pushed by high end manufacturers and designers, every couple of years.

Articles like these keep the interior designers and manufacturers in business.

There is nothing newer about Butcher Block, cement counters or cabinet faced appliances either.

This article is not speaking to the average american home owner that covers their appliances and counters with clutter to the hilt anyway. Few people live in, or care to live in and maintain show homes.

It looks like the bulk of the replys here, have put the article into perspective and it's proper place.

I would like to make one comment for those about to do some kitchen/bath remodeling.

Going green is a trend that will be here to stay.

Recyclyed glass counter tops are a sure bet for the future. They look as nice as granite, minus the radon exposure of rock materials. It is what I would use now instead of granite/quartz ect.

They are very pretty-take a look-

www.icestone.biz - IceStone - Green Countertops made out of recycled glass

It's worth a serious look, for anyone planning to rip out counters in the next few years. In my opinion, this is the truly newer material that will stand the test of time, and help with resale value in the future, as "going green" and low to no VOC consciousness grows.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
I never liked stainless or granite - I guess I'm ahead of the curve!

My favorite appliance color is bisque/almond and I prefer wood cabinets over white and medium/light wood over dark. I'm not that particular about countertops - something easy to maintain would be my preference. I like some of the new laminate that's made to look like stone - I'll probably wind up with something like that in my new kitchen. My house is modest, so I have to keep to less expensive materials or I'll just be throwing money away.

Anyhow, nice to see some new options out there - it gets pretty boring when everyone has the same materials and colors in their kitchen!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,259 times
Quote:
I like some of the new laminate that's made to look like stone
My sister has this in her home she built last year. It does look good.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I never liked stainless or granite - I guess I'm ahead of the curve!

My favorite appliance color is bisque/almond and I prefer wood cabinets over white and medium/light wood over dark. I'm not that particular about countertops - something easy to maintain would be my preference. I like some of the new laminate that's made to look like stone - I'll probably wind up with something like that in my new kitchen. My house is modest, so I have to keep to less expensive materials or I'll just be throwing money away.

Anyhow, nice to see some new options out there - it gets pretty boring when everyone has the same materials and colors in their kitchen!
I like bisque too. I don't have granite since we were thinking to do it if we want to sell our home if it is still the thing to have....I don't need it for myself I like what I have and since colors are so personal you can even mess up by having the wrong color in granite when potential buyers will come...I plan to change it when we are moving and see what will be the coolest and most wanted at that time instead of doing something right now which might not even be the thing to have when we will sell.
By the way i have sold many homes in the past years when the market was booming and non of my homes had granite and we sold fast...

Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Whatever you personally like in your own home is "in". I like granite, but I like the stuff that is out of the ordinary, that you will rarely see in anyone elses homes. We replaced the stainless steel appliances with bright, firetruck red appliances that I just love! I never understood why they were called "stainless" steel, because they did nothing BUT stain!!! My new red appliances are so easy to clean and they are just really cool! I love red!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate