Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
Like you said, 'When in Rome', but JMO it's not really for the agent's benefit, but for the sellers so they know the other broker actually did show the house. Thats the beauty of an exclusive - no one gets cut out, but at least the sellers know the agent did show up so they're not wasting their time driving around for years with kiddies and pets in the car 'wondering' if the BA is just running late.
Agreed. Like I said, with more and more of us telecommuting and working from home that card on the counter means we can go back to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 PM

43,378 posts, read 77,299,991 times
If I worked in an area where a card was expected, I would always leave one.

But, I can also leave my home, and upon returning know in a moment if someone has been in it.

Another idea: We also have a "Showing Beacon" available for our listings, through CSS. The buyers' agent can alert the sellers that the showing is finished so they can return.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Interesting thread that points out, at least to me, different practices in various locations.

We do not leave cards after showing in the Triangle area as it is considered soliciting the Seller. The agent should be talking to me if there is doubt that I came by, or for any other reason..
Mike, we are like you guys. Here it is not common practice to leave a card.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:27 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieP View Post
I work from home and have to leave with 2 toddlers. So yes, it is very maddening when they do not leave a card. One time I came home, found no card, every light still on, and was certain they had not been there, so I left again and drove around for another half-hour. .
We also don't turn off lights. There could be other agents showing after us. Our company teaches you leave the house the way you found it unless instructed otherwise.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,283,185 times
I don't think it's a big deal to leave a card as a courtesy to the seller, in this market, especially, just knowing it was showed is a BIG deal.

It is interesting to note that in some parts of the country is is not customary to leave a card. We have bought and sold homes in 3 western states, it is always considered a courtesy to leave a card.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,669,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I had a showing today and the clients needed a 2-3 hr. window .... and I come home and have no card left by the agent..... We as sellers have make sure the house is spotless and not even common courtesy to leave a card. Just show me you were here! It would be appreciative!

Any other sellers go through this?

Realtors out there? do you leave business cards??
It depends on who is showing.
South Jersey I've found that some don't even have cards.

My 1st agent had pens, said she didn't really use cards any more.

Can you print a 1/2 or 1/4 fold card to leave on the counter to say please leave a card?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,837,389 times
For my office's listings, the standard showing instructions for buyers' agents include:

Take your shoes off or use the booties

Leave the lights on or off ( as specified by the owner)

Make sure all exterior doors that were opened are locked

Leave a business card

Old 07-24-2009, 03:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,104,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Yes typically we leave business cards, but I have run out of cards in the middle of a string of showings before, not realizing I was low on them. So the last few showings didn't get one.

And I have forgotten. Sometimes I get distracted because a dog is in the house and I'm occupied keeping the dog busy. Sometimes a buyer walks in and out fast so we don't make it too far into the house. Sometimes the home smells bad so we hightail it out of the house...

There are a myriad of reasons why a business card might not be there. That's why the supra/sentilock boxes are nice. Agents can just look-up and confirm the showing occurred.
Very well said. This happens all the time.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 PM

11,841 posts, read 34,485,074 times
My showing notes usually say "KLCL"

as in Knock. Leave Card. Lock (up.)

Old 07-25-2009, 02:10 PM

161 posts, read 569,024 times
Sold a home in San Antonio, and of approximately 25 showings, 4 or 5 left a card (3 were all showings on the same day). When I asked, my agent said it was not really customary in our area to leave a card. We had the same issues a few times of not being able to tell if the showing had occurred or not; every door was locked the same way, all the lights and doors were still open--honestly couldn't tell if people had been in! But sometimes I could smell perfume or cologne in the air, and there was the lady who left all my doors unlocked and the man who tracked mud up my front stairs...I could certainly tell they'd been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate