Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:30 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times

Advertisements

I am looking for something unique to make as a side dish for Thanksgiving. I would like to do something with either (or both) sweet potatoes or Brussels Sprouts. But I want to do something "different" with either of those, not the old standby sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. I have been reading cookbooks, but all I found so far that was different was sweet potato biscuits (which sound AWESOME and I will make them, but I need a side dish).

Does anyone have a unique recipe with either of those as a main ingredient? One that is "tried and true"? The only limitation is I don't want to do any deep frying. I would prefer make-ahead, but that's not mandatory.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:41 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I just looked at the Food Network's web site and one of the stories at the top of the page was 50 ways to fix mashed potatoes and it includes sweet potatoes. The way I like my brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes are on somebody else's plate! I aint eating that stuff! lol Before she died 6 years ago my MIL loved fried sweet potatoes.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
You can make sweet potato fries and bake them. As far as I'm concerned the only useful thing to do with brussels sprouts is throw them at coke-can pyramids on the fence to see who can knock off the most in the least number of throws.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:44 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
I don't care for brussels sprouts but saw an interesting recipe on one of Rachael Ray's traveling shows. They were sauteed in olive oil, bacon strips, and garlic.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
I just watched a Bobby Flay throw down Thanksgiving episode last night. He made what looked to be the best brussel sprout dish I have ever seen. Check it out. He was competing against some lady from Oklahoma.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
Try this one for a different brussels sprouts dish. It could be made ahead and re-heated. Also since it's made on the stove, it won't take up space in the oven.

Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Cranberries

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2008
6 to 8 servings

Ingredients
• 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, rinsed and trimmed
• 3 ounces coarsely chopped pecans
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 4 ounces coarsely chopped dried cranberries
Directions
Slice the Brussels sprouts using the thinnest slicing disk of a food processor. If you do not have a food processor, you may slice thinly with a knife or a mandoline.
Set a 10-inch straight-sided saute pan over medium-high heat and add the pecans. Cook, stirring continually, until the pecans darken in color and begin to give off a toasted aroma, approximately 2 minutes. Add the butter to the pan and stir to combine. Once the butter has melted, add the Brussels sprouts, salt and pepper and cook, stirring continually, until the color brightens and the sprouts are just tender, approximately 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, add the cranberries, toss and serve.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:51 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
Smitten kitchen had a Sweet Potato recipe this week that looked yummy, if you scroll down the link it's the second item: smitten kitchen

Food and Wine has Caramelized Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta, it's on my list to make: Search - Recipes | Food & Wine

Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times
Quote:
I just watched a Bobby Flay throw down Thanksgiving episode last night. He made what looked to be the best brussel sprout dish I have ever seen. Check it out. He was competing against some lady from Oklahoma.
DARN! I love Throwdown and he did one of my favorite veg's to boot? I need to watch for re-runs. And he was in my town doing a book signing last weekend but I missed that, too.

You BS haters are hilarious! But your prevalence is one reason I feel I should provide 2 side dishes. But no way no how is anyone gonna be allowed to use my BS's as ammo to throw at can pyramids!

I will check out the other leads you all provided. Sayulita, I would (literally) go mad mandolining 100 brussels sprouts. But I would be willing to do that recipe with whole or halved ones. Thanks for sharing it, sounds great!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
for sweet potatoes, i like to cut them lengthwise, and bake them along with squash cut lengthwise, an onion cut in half, a few carrots and a couple of stalks of celery. i place them all on a cookie sheet and drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper. i bake them until done--probably 45min-1 hr.
i dig out the potatoes and squash and take all the other veggies& some veggie stock and throw them into a blender and make a soup. you can add cream on top if you so desire. it's SO good!

with brussel sprouts, i like them just with salt and olive oil and baked until browned--probably 25 minutes.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Orange juice and proscuitto (or country ham) go very well with brussel sprouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes